Moros a bit limited?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peachy Joe View Post

This is the key question for me. If Death can be interpreted that broadly it's amazing. I'd love an expanded spell list. From the book, it seemed limited to some specific applications, with a real curve ball from darkness and cold. There are so excited things I'd like Death to do - do you think these are reasonable RAW?

Know how target will die (unless something changes), perhaps also where and when.
    You'd still need Time 2 for temporal sympathy and your answer would have all the normal caveats associated with seeing the future (i.e. not 100% fixed).

Death 1 - Knowing + Time 2 temporal sympathy attainment.

Increase entropy on, say, a vehicle. Basically it becomes prone to faults and ruins fuel efficiency. With reach the wasted energy is lost as heat, igniting the tank.
    The waste energy would already be heat, that's where the "lost" energy "goes" in mechanical systems. The heat would not be enough to ignite the tank.

Death 4 - Perfecting

"End" the yearly cycle for a tree, rotting the fruit and shedding the leaves. With reach could move towards the end of cycle, so go from Spring to Autumn and produce food.
    Ending a cycle with Death would mean breaking the cycle. Life or Time could cause a tree to bear fruit, but not Death.

From a piece of scrap, understand what was destroyed to create it (see the thing before it decayed).
    Yes.

Death 1 - Knowing

Cast a spell of ending on a small social gathering. Everyone becomes morbid or tired and decides to leave.
    Too abstract, "a social gathering" is not something you can target with a spell. You could target each person in the gathering and inflict them with lethargy, but that's not quite the same.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

Death is also good for preventing dying. Shield against Death, and dying will become very difficult.

I’d make it work like either Veil of Moments, or Incognito Presence. If like IP then it’d cost a mana and no-sell mundane means of death and cause a CoW with supernatural causes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
        Death is also good for preventing dying. Shield against Death, and dying will become very difficult.

I’d make it work like either Veil of Moments, or Incognito Presence. If like IP then it’d cost a mana and no-sell mundane means of death and cause a CoW with supernatural causes.
        This is under Veiling, but it logically applies to Shielding, as well:

Originally posted by M:tAw2e pg 123
        Short of archmastery, it’s
        impossible to Veil something against an abstract concept
        or force: a mage can’t Veil herself against death or hide
        from time, for example.

At most it could cause a CoW with a supernatural source of instantaneous death, but there's nothing mundane that would be "death", only things that cause complications leading to death.

It's not the bullet that kills you, it's the loss of blood and the organ failure caused by the force of the bullet penetrating your skin, blood vessels, and other necessary bits that kills you.

Protecting yourself using Death is what the Mage Armor attainment is for.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post

This is under Veiling, but it logically applies to Shielding, as well:

At most it could cause a CoW with a supernatural source of instantaneous death, but there's nothing mundane that would be "death", only things that cause complications leading to death.

It's not the bullet that kills you, it's the loss of blood and the organ failure caused by the force of the bullet penetrating your skin, blood vessels, and other necessary bits that kills you.

Protecting yourself using Death is what the Mage Armor attainment is for.
          You’d be Shielding vs entropy or endings, and it’s a perfectly legitimate use of Shielding in the same way that Veil of Moments shields vs change. Death armor helps, spells do it better.

Comment

Could Death 1 (Knowing) give you something like Karnak's ability to spot flaws/weak points? Which railing is most likely to give way, where a good kick would splinter an old door, etc. This isn't quiet as useful as being able to break/degrade the object directly, but it would be a good for occasions that require subtlety.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Maudlin View Post
              Could Death 1 (Knowing) give you something like Karnak's ability to spot flaws/weak points? Which railing is most likely to give way, where a good kick would splinter an old door, etc. This isn't quiet as useful as being able to break/degrade the object directly, but it would be a good for occasions that require subtlety.
              Probably be better as Unveiling, but I don't see why not.

Comment

What would it take to mimic the Picture of Dorian Gray? A spell that transfers any damage you take to a picture of you, so that you remain pristine but the portrait gets all beat up?

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                  What would it take to mimic the Picture of Dorian Gray? A spell that transfers any damage you take to a picture of you, so that you remain pristine but the portrait gets all beat up?
                  Ala Movie Extraordinary Gentlemen? Life and Matter, with Death as a good follow-up. And also Mind and Spirit, really. Prime too. And Fate.

But mostly Life and Matter.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                  The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                  Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                    My take would be Death and Space. Death can handle the damage, but Space would be to confuse the damage about where it's actually supposed to go. Although hey, you could possibly do it with just Fate by riffing on Shared Fate.

Comment

CreaThaums about Ghosts anyone?

The Repository

Comment

This thread reminds me of something I wanted to ask the community about. It's a CT spell by the Moros PC in one of my Chronicles:

Shadow Binding
                        Death 3 (Weaving)
                        Primary Factor: Potency
                        Suggested Rote Skills: Crafts, Occult, Intimidation

The spell creates a solid blanket of shadow (often used with Area factor) that envelops those caught within, inflicting the Immoblized Tilt. The blanket has a Strength equal to the spell's Potency. On subsequent turns, those enveloped within each roll Strength + Brawl individually and end the tilt on themselves when they accumulate successes equal to the blanket's Strength. Failure to accrue at least one success toward ending the tilt on a given turn results in the target taking one bashing damage due to suffocation and exertion. An exceptional success results in immediate escape regardless of the Strength of the blanket.

+1 Reach: The blanket actively tries to strangle those within and inflicts one bashing per turn regardless of the targets' escape rolls up to a maximum accumulated damage equal to the blanket's Strength.
                        Last edited by Johnny Awesome; 10-18-2018, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Awesome View Post
                          This thread reminds me of something I wanted to ask the community about. It's a CT spell by the Moros PC in one of my Chronicles:

Shadow Binding
                          Death 3 (Weaving)

The spell creates a solid blanket of shadow (often used with Area factor) that envelops those caught within, inflicting the Immoblized Tilt. The blanket has a Strength equal to the spell's Potency. On subsequent turns, those enveloped within each roll Strength + Brawl individually and end the tilt on themselves when they accumulate successes equal to the blanket's Strength. Failure to accrue at least one success toward ending the tilt on a given turn results in the target taking one bashing damage due to suffocation and exertion. An exceptional success results in immediate escape regardless of the Strength of the blanket.
                          Seems fine.

Comment

What do you think of the Reach option I added?

Comment

Shadow Binding
                              Death 3 (Weaving)
                              Suggested Rote Skills: Crafts, Occult, Intimidation

+1 Reach: The blanket actively tries to strangle those within and inflicts one bashing per turn regardless of the targets' escape rolls up to a maximum accumulated damage equal to the blanket's Strength.
                              Love it. Expecially the Reach option

The Repository

Comment

What do you think of the Reach option I added?
                                I think you could make it a bit easier on yourself and just have it inflict Bashing equal to Potency like a regular attack spell. Since it’s damage via a physical force they might be able to reduce that damage via a Style, armor or spell.

Comment

Working...
                                X