My take on the Awakening Gambit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
    Maybe this is all explained in 1e, but i think a very important question is: What is their philosophical and spiritual basis? Legacies arent just collections of neat Paradox-free powers, cool Yantras and new ways to get Mana. They are a process of shaping and specializing your soul to fulfill an ideal, or even an archetype. They are a process not unlike forging steel into a tool, or creating a new lifeform from stem cells. Perhaps they are even a more controlled path to enlightenment, as compared to the blinding, searing jolt of the First and Second Awakenings.

So, ask yourself, what does a Gambit want to become? Moreover, why do they feel this is a worthy path? What questions do they have that the Legacy answers? What teachings are passed from Master to apprentice or codified by the self-taught?

From what i can tell so far, they definitely believe in the triumph of knowledge over ignorance and growth through adversity. More concretely, they wish to see as many Awakenings as possible, but only for the worthy.

But i think more insight into the mystic philosophy that shapes their souls would help us shape a power that truly represents what a Gambit would consider the ultimate personal expression of their truths
    Very well said. In my mind, I think they believe in the tenants of Adaptability is Strength and Existance is War above all others.

They also believe that Wisdom is a consequence of being a good planner. Read the situation deeply, account for all factors and then plot a path to victory that is safe, efficient and leaves no loose ends to tangle yourself or others. In theory, if a mage can make a great plan, perfectly adapting even in the midst of chaos, they can achieve a safe and ethical solution every time, without giving into the dehumanizing cruelty of The General (since the Praetorian are the evil reflection of the Arrows):

"Great Planning lets us adapt to the unexpected and act with the precision needed to enact positive change, like a great surgeon, we cut away only what harms the body, damaging nothing else. Wisdom teaches us control, how not to be tamed and corroded by our own power. Through Wisdom and Planning we achieve Honor, thus becoming our True Name"

If the Orders are the plans that counter Exarchial power, they see themselves as the contingencies. Which is where I feel there is a snag in the train of thought. Given that its well known that Awakenings probably should not be forced and most of the ones that are result in Banishers, its weird to see them commit to an endeavor that will probably lose their Wisdom quickly.

One part is focused on Awakening the worthy. But another part (that appeals more to me) is fulfilling the archtypes of the Chessmaster, the Strategist, and/or the Magnificent Bastard, depending on how they go about it.

After writing this down, it sounds like a new Legacy altogether, focusing on the planning and strategy part to the exclusion of the dangerous games to Awaken people.
    Last edited by KaiserAfini; 12-27-2018, 08:04 PM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

Comment

Mrmdubois After thinking more about what Master_Aquatosic said , I can't help but want to take the foundations from this topic and make a legacy of strategists based on Stoicism. Would it be ok for me to use the original 4 achievements in it ? I still want to contribute to this spin of the Gambits regardless.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
        Mrmdubois After thinking more about what Master_Aquatosic said , I can't help but want to take the foundations from this topic and make a legacy of strategists based on Stoicism. Would it be ok for me to use the original 4 achievements in it ? I still want to contribute to this spin of the Gambits regardless.
        Sure, I don’t mind.

Comment

Cool, thank you. Which rank could the generals be ? Rank 5 to reflect the crazy levels of Gnosis someone with the fifth Attainment has ? It could be a specialized Goetic Summons, which uses one mana for instant summon and assigns two Reach to summoning from the Legacy's Realm in the Temenos and one for advanced duration. To use the general's Influences, members would have to make the area Open beforehand, but that is a nice bonus to all those numina.

Comment

If they're Rank 5, they'd need to be willing, otherwise you can't get past their Withstand using an Attainment.

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
              Cool, thank you. Which rank could the generals be ? Rank 5 to reflect the crazy levels of Gnosis someone with the fifth Attainment has ? It could be a specialized Goetic Summons, which uses one mana for instant summon and assigns two Reach to summoning from the Legacy's Realm in the Temenos and one for advanced duration. To use the general's Influences, members would have to make the area Open beforehand, but that is a nice bonus to all those numina.
              The attainment is to be able to operate in the Legacy's Temenos realm as well as in the Fallen simultaneously as it allows you a greater level of collaboration with your peers and underlings. Summoning a goetia born of one of the generals would be additional use of magic rather than an attainment. The rank of the goetia born of the generals would be determined as normal for goetia that have been around and have influence in their realm so could be anywhere from 1 to 5, and if a general got really big could theoretically exceed even that since it wouldn't be part of the attainment.. The fact that when a general dies their astral presence becomes a goetia is basically a byproduct of their establishing a permanent presence in the Astral via the the final attainment rather than a direct effect of the attainment itself. This allows us to kind of break attainment rules, and allow more nuanced permutations since it's only sort of attainment dependent.

Comment

Yeah, but I think that makes sense. You aren't binding them to a task, they are your fellow generals. What this does is give you direct line to them rather than contend with the defenses of the crazy fortified Legacy HQ.

That could work, make it a two way channel. The mage is so connected to the realm of strategy that he can either go to the Legacy Realm instantly for a strategy meeting or summon a general to your location. If they need to keep in contact for a complex operation, they can open a telepathic channel from the meeting room.

Comment

Ok, now I see. Basically a passive ability to exist in both realms at once, with its own channel that wouldn't interfere with things like One Mind, Two Thoughts and that projection cannot leave the Legacy Realm.

Comment

Working...
                  X