Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Would You Represent the Exarchs as Comic Book Supervillains? (Mostly Serious)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

I mean, he said "semi-comedic", but also Jack Kirby style. I'd go for a Grant Morrison style myself: complex symbolic villains that have modern sensibilities but at the same time hearken back to the Silver Age and early Bronze Age of comics
    I prefer a more abstract take on the Exarchs - they have lost whatever human sentience they had (if they ever had it at all) and are at the core now nothing more than machines mindlessly forcing their principles on the Phenomenal World. They are now just exactly the same as the Supernal gods they overthrew.

Prophet - Exarch of Time (the Great Man theory of history, and its attendant elitism)
    My headcanon is for an opposite take on the Exarch of Time - "you are just one of the herd, a pawn of wider forces you cannot hope to withstand.Even if you do do anything, you're merely a slave enacting the inflexible laws of history. Any changes you make will fade away like ripples from a stone thrown into a lake, and in the course of time ultimately you will be forgotten over the merciless span of centuries and millennia. Better not to try."

It's a far more disempowering concept from my POV.

Comment

What the Exarchs are actually like is less relevant to this discussion. This is for how they would be interpreted by a Sleeper superhero webcomic writer who is receiving visions from the Supernal filtered through her need for ideas for her comic. Thus, the supernal symbols are being expressed as comic book characters and setting elements. So whether or not the Exarchs still have free will as we conceive it, they are still positioned to be interpreted as major supervillains in this comic

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Oh. And if it hasn't been said already, the Chancellor is a Lex Luthor-style impossibly rich morally bankrupt business man and engineering genius. He's currently working as these New God!Exarchs' earthly agent, but is at the head of a secret plot to ascend himself and overthrow them.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
          What the Exarchs are actually like is less relevant to this discussion. This is for how they would be interpreted by a Sleeper superhero webcomic writer who is receiving visions from the Supernal filtered through her need for ideas for her comic. Thus, the supernal symbols are being expressed as comic book characters and setting elements. So whether or not the Exarchs still have free will as we conceive it, they are still positioned to be interpreted as major supervillains in this comic
          Ah, so here's the General:

Bellona, General of the Black Armies

General Bellona sits on the Tetrarchy of the Black Planet's ruling council. Under her domain the Myrmidons of the Black Armies march - brutal, uncompromising warriors that have destroyed entire planets and dimensions in their lust for blood. There is no nobility or honour in them - only cold-blooded ruthlessness merged with an insatiable desire to destroy. Her domain is one of ceaseless fortresses and factories, all dedicated to a senseless war that exists ultimately for its own sake. The Armies are not mere ground forces - endless fighter-swarms blacken skies under the furious bombardment of dagger-shaped star dreadnoughts as super-weapons channel the Aether between the stars into devastating forces of destructive power capable of rending worlds apart. When two of the Black Armies meet in the course of their ceaseless campaigns, they fight - the one that wins totally destroys the loser, as they do to all others they encounter. If they lost, then clearly they were too weak to live.

The General is brutal and emotionless with a tinge of malice beyond mere efficiency. Often she leads her hosts directly, covered in a suit of advanced armour that allows her to absorb, redirect and even create from whole cloth all kinds of energy blasts. She is the most direct of the Ten, and the most commonly seen "on the field".

(I haven't read up on the Exarchs for a long time, but I used to make up comic-book characters myself when I was younger, so I hope this is still good).
          Last edited by Czernobog; 11-06-2018, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X