Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fate's Purvey of Intentions and what does it mean?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About Knowing spells on page 123: "This knowledge is a direct awareness of Supernal truth; the mage doesn’t have to interpret evidence based on her senses or try to divine the truth out of cryptic riddles"
    Compare with Oaths Fulfilled on the same page as Serendipity. You just straight up get the knowledge, no interpretation needed.

I suppose Serendipity could instead grant you immediate knowledge about omens that already occur in your presence. Less "the spell makes this omen occur" and more "the spell makes you recognise this as an omen, and it means this".
    And I would not apply the same presentation of information on other Fate Knowing spells. There's no reason for a Know Intentions spell to take that extra step that goes against how the Knowing Practice works.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

I just had an idea about intentions. You know how some Aspirations in the corebook are phrased not as aspirations of the character, but as things that the player wants to happen to them. What if by "intentions", they mean that Fate can plant those sorts of Aspirations as a mechanical representation of a sort of weak destiny characters are nudged towards by both fated events and their own subconscious?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
        About Knowing spells on page 123: "This knowledge is a direct awareness of Supernal truth; the mage doesn’t have to interpret evidence based on her senses or try to divine the truth out of cryptic riddles"
        Compare with Oaths Fulfilled on the same page as Serendipity. You just straight up get the knowledge, no interpretation needed.

I suppose Serendipity could instead grant you immediate knowledge about omens that already occur in your presence. Less "the spell makes this omen occur" and more "the spell makes you recognise this as an omen, and it means this".
        And I would not apply the same presentation of information on other Fate Knowing spells. There's no reason for a Know Intentions spell to take that extra step that goes against how the Knowing Practice works.
        That seems like a fair compromise.

Comment

What about a Knowing spell for archetypes ? Examine this person and he is The Fisher King, the other person is The Red Death, The Telltale Heart, The Throne Watcher, The Queen of Diamonds (person who is destined to be the hierarch, for example). You could use the spell to tell you what broad role this actor has in Fate's grand narrative. Although the Story is a dynamic thing, it does give you enough guideline to direct the play and who to place where to fulfill a certain role. It could be seen as reading Fate's intentions for them.
          Last edited by KaiserAfini; 12-08-2018, 03:51 PM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
            What about a Knowing spell for archetypes ? Examine this person and he is The Fisher King, the other person is The Red Death, The Telltale Heart, The Throne Watcher, The Queen of Diamonds (person who is destined to be the hierarch, for example). You could use the spell to tell you what broad role this actor has in Fate's grand narrative. Although the Story is a dynamic thing, it does give you enough guideline to direct the play and who to place where to fulfill a certain role. It could be seen as reading Fate's intentions for them.
            That sounds like something that the +2 Reach option of Interconnections already does.

Comment

Originally posted by EW-Matias View Post
              That sounds like something that the +2 Reach option of Interconnections already does.

Interesting, I thought that only encompassed fates that were supernaturally altered, but no, upon re-reading it, it sounds more general, cool

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

Comment

Working...
              X