Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fate's Purvey of Intentions and what does it mean?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TenguGrib
    started a topic Fate's Purvey of Intentions and what does it mean?

Fate's Purvey of Intentions and what does it mean?

There are a lot of purviews that aren't touched on very well with published spells (across all of the Arcana), like 'intentions' for Fate. I'd really like to see what kinds of things people can come up with to make those work.
    As Inodiv mentioned in a previous thread, some of the Arcana have purviews that are mentioned in their description, but seemingly have no example spells to provide insight on how those purviews will actually work in relation to the Arcana. It got me thinking and I couldn't come up with a satisfactory answer (in the 10 minutes I was thinking about it), only more questions.

So let's discuss it!

The example he gave was Fate and Intentions.

So how does Fate magic affect intentions? How much would this overlap with Mind magic affecting intentions? What would the differences be? Can I completely change someones intentions, or only manipulate them? Are the intentions I can affect specific choices an individual makes (like choosing the box to the left instead of the one on the right)? Is it more general and I can affect what that thug intends to do with the gun he just pulled out?

Personally I'm not clear on how Intentions would be covered by Fate at all, but I'm interested in hearing what other people think.
    Last edited by TenguGrib; 10-31-2018, 08:01 PM. Reason: fixing a couple stupid typos

• KaiserAfini
    replied
    Originally posted by EW-Matias View Post
    That sounds like something that the +2 Reach option of Interconnections already does.

Interesting, I thought that only encompassed fates that were supernaturally altered, but no, upon re-reading it, it sounds more general, cool

Leave a comment:

• EW-Matias
    replied
    Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
    What about a Knowing spell for archetypes ? Examine this person and he is The Fisher King, the other person is The Red Death, The Telltale Heart, The Throne Watcher, The Queen of Diamonds (person who is destined to be the hierarch, for example). You could use the spell to tell you what broad role this actor has in Fate's grand narrative. Although the Story is a dynamic thing, it does give you enough guideline to direct the play and who to place where to fulfill a certain role. It could be seen as reading Fate's intentions for them.
    That sounds like something that the +2 Reach option of Interconnections already does.

Leave a comment:

• KaiserAfini
    replied
    What about a Knowing spell for archetypes ? Examine this person and he is The Fisher King, the other person is The Red Death, The Telltale Heart, The Throne Watcher, The Queen of Diamonds (person who is destined to be the hierarch, for example). You could use the spell to tell you what broad role this actor has in Fate's grand narrative. Although the Story is a dynamic thing, it does give you enough guideline to direct the play and who to place where to fulfill a certain role. It could be seen as reading Fate's intentions for them.
    Last edited by KaiserAfini; 12-08-2018, 03:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny Awesome
    replied
    Originally posted by Tessie View Post
    About Knowing spells on page 123: "This knowledge is a direct awareness of Supernal truth; the mage doesn’t have to interpret evidence based on her senses or try to divine the truth out of cryptic riddles"
    Compare with Oaths Fulfilled on the same page as Serendipity. You just straight up get the knowledge, no interpretation needed.

I suppose Serendipity could instead grant you immediate knowledge about omens that already occur in your presence. Less "the spell makes this omen occur" and more "the spell makes you recognise this as an omen, and it means this".
    And I would not apply the same presentation of information on other Fate Knowing spells. There's no reason for a Know Intentions spell to take that extra step that goes against how the Knowing Practice works.
    That seems like a fair compromise.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    I just had an idea about intentions. You know how some Aspirations in the corebook are phrased not as aspirations of the character, but as things that the player wants to happen to them. What if by "intentions", they mean that Fate can plant those sorts of Aspirations as a mechanical representation of a sort of weak destiny characters are nudged towards by both fated events and their own subconscious?

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    About Knowing spells on page 123: "This knowledge is a direct awareness of Supernal truth; the mage doesn’t have to interpret evidence based on her senses or try to divine the truth out of cryptic riddles"
    Compare with Oaths Fulfilled on the same page as Serendipity. You just straight up get the knowledge, no interpretation needed.

I suppose Serendipity could instead grant you immediate knowledge about omens that already occur in your presence. Less "the spell makes this omen occur" and more "the spell makes you recognise this as an omen, and it means this".
    And I would not apply the same presentation of information on other Fate Knowing spells. There's no reason for a Know Intentions spell to take that extra step that goes against how the Knowing Practice works.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny Awesome
    replied
    So this came up in my game last week. The Mastigos in my group has Fate 1 and cast Serendipity to get an omen about which way the cabal should go to find an NPC inside a large colonial house. I had a tree branch fall on the cellar door entrance after a recent storm had dislodged it.

That seems more in line with how Fate would work than something directly into your brain like a voice saying "Cellar Door" IMO, so I don't know if I agree with Knowing being so devoid of flavor all the time.

It also gave me the opportunity to have the tree branch fall through the rotted wood of the cellar door, giving a further clue as to how rotted the wood was going into the cellar. Which the Moros ignored and fell through the rotted boards anyway, but I digress...

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Originally posted by Shadowjim12 View Post
    Asking Fate to tell you the intentions of the lawyer is possible, but it will be hints not a direct answer. After casting, your email might be spammed with "READ THIS; FRAUD SCHEMES ARE ON THE RISE" or while zapping in the TV most Channels have commercials about "Tax Fraud Support lines". So, you can get the intentions but it requires some effort from your part. And you don't neccessarily get the final outcome.
    Knowing spells grant you direct knowledge. No need to interpret it through your senses and certainly not through physical media or anything like that. If it's possible (I really wish we had Fate spells relating to intentions as a precedent) then you'd know the intentions the moment the spell has been cast.

Leave a comment:

• Shadowjim12
    replied
    Originally posted by Peachy Joe View Post
    Can Fate Knowing discern the intention behind a pledge? For example, suppose a clever lawyer writes a contract which looks like an inheritance tax loophole, like s contract to set up a trust, but which he secretly intends to use to steal the money. Suppose a high intelligence character with a law background could work it out. Could an Acanthus cast a spell to know the intention?
    With just Time it's more complicated but you get more specific answers. The lawyer may intend to abuse the inheritance but there might be complications. He might even die before pulling his long-term scheme off. Your mage will look for the most possible result at the time of casting, but time is mutable. Sure, you make prophecies, but in a world where you can go back, kill your parents and still exist, prophecies for the far future might become irrelevant. So, you don't get the intentions, just the outcome.

With just Fate, it's less complicated but the answers are abstract. Asking Fate to tell you the intentions of the lawyer is possible, but it will be hints not a direct answer. After casting, your email might be spammed with "READ THIS; FRAUD SCHEMES ARE ON THE RISE" or while zapping in the TV most Channels have commercials about "Tax Fraud Support lines". So, you can get the intentions but it requires some effort from your part. And you don't neccessarily get the final outcome.

The best way around this IMO is to use both; Fate for the intentions and Time for the outcome

Leave a comment:

• Shadowjim12
    replied
    Originally posted by Peachy Joe View Post
    Can Fate Knowing discern the intention behind a pledge? For example, suppose a clever lawyer writes a contract which looks like an inheritance tax loophole, like s contract to set up a trust, but which he secretly intends to use to steal the money. Suppose a high intelligence character with a law background could work it out. Could an Acanthus cast a spell to know the intention?
    With just Time it's more complicated but you get more specific answers. The lawyer may intend to abuse the inheritance but there might be complications. He might even die before pulling his long-term scheme off. Your mage will look for the most possible result at the time of casting, but time is mutable. Sure, you make prophecies, but in a world where you can go back, kill your parents and still exist, prophecies for the far future might become irrelevant. So, you don't get the intentions, just the outcome.

With just Fate, it's less complicated but the answers are abstract. Asking Fate to tell you the intentions of the lawyer is possible, but it will be hints not a direct answer. After casting, your email might be spammed with "READ THIS; FRAUD SCHEMES ARE ON THE RISE" or while zapping in the TV most Channels have commercials about "Tax Fraud Support lines". So, you can get the intentions but it requires some effort from your part. And you don't neccessarily get the final outcome.

The best way around this IMO is to use both; Fate for the intentions and Time for the outcome

Leave a comment:

• Falcon777
    replied
    Aye, what you were looking at was a time spell. However, I would say that Serendipity (a Fate knowing spell) does still deal with intentions. You state a goal that you have and the spell gives you an idea of how to pursue that goal. It's not quite the same thing, but it's similar.

Leave a comment:

• neomerlin
    replied
    Originally posted by HerbertIsBestBert View Post
    I think you're talking about Momentary Flux, which is Time 1, and tells you whether a subject will be a boon or a bane in the most likely future.
    Oops, you might be right. Teach me not to double check the book.

Leave a comment:

• HerbertIsBestBert
    replied
    I think you're talking about Momentary Flux, which is Time 1, and tells you whether a subject will be a boon or a bane in the most likely future.

Leave a comment:

• neomerlin
    replied
    It doesn't look like anybody has mentioned it, but I'm pretty sure there's a Fate spell that let's you determine the intentions of somebody towards you. I don't have the book with me to get its name, but I recall it being one of the low level fate effects. I've also let my Fate players use it to do an augury on how their intended actions will play out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X