Isn't relinquishing a bit overpowered?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Use the Sanctity of Merits rule. They get the XP back at the end of the chapter.
    Given that a 'chapter' defaults to a 'session' iirc, I'm not sure this actually adds any mechanical sting at all, since many groups don't allow expenditures in-play anyway.

Comment

Im glad Dave confirmed that relinquishing is why crafters are so well paid. Thats something Ivr done i my games and is the calling card of Mysterium leveraging in my games!

I think relinquishing is expensive for my thyrsus but for say a mastigos I cant see it as anything less than fair. or at least dramatic

Comment

Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
        Given that a 'chapter' defaults to a 'session' iirc, I'm not sure this actually adds any mechanical sting at all, since many groups don't allow expenditures in-play anyway.
        Same can be said for merits, but that's the standard. Personally, I generally wait for a significant break of some kind.

Comment

The primary difference is that relinquished spells are substantially more efficient than merits.
          Would you buy a 1-dot merit that increased both your Dexterity and Stamina by 4? I would, in a heartbeat.
          Also when you're guaranteed a refund, you can skimp on the duration for increased Potency and other factors.

Comment

The fact that you can say that about Merits doesn't really demonstrate that treating the XP lost if a relinquished spell is dispelled like XP refunds from the SoM rules is actually equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by HerbertIsBestBert View Post
              The primary difference is that relinquished spells are substantially more efficient than merits.
              Would you buy a 1-dot merit that increased both your Dexterity and Stamina by 4? I would, in a heartbeat.
              Depends on the merit, but yeah, that sounds pretty cool to me.

Also when you're guaranteed a refund, you can skimp on the duration for increased Potency and other factors.
              That's is an interesting point to bear in mind.

The fact that you can say that about Merits doesn't really demonstrate that treating the XP lost if a relinquished spell is dispelled like XP refunds from the SoM rules is actually equivalent.
              I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.

Comment

Depends on the merit, but yeah, that sounds pretty cool to me.

That's is an interesting point to bear in mind.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.
                what they are saying is an ST is honor-bound to protect your merits, and sanctity or merits protects your merits from the other players, well-meaning or no.

But relinquished spells are not protected. My previous ST would actually "grief" my relinquished spells or otherwise make them useless. I can see players trolling at least a little, and Seers even from a great ST are a huge threat. Politics may require someone to attend meetings or go somewhere where having any active spells looks bad so you might lose spells on yourself that way too. Maybe someone can suppress the magic but maybe you'll have to get rid of it period.

My consilium I run does not permit buffs during debates for example, not unless it is needed to put everyone on the same Intelligence or Manipulation. It gets complicated fast.

No protection can become cheap or super expensive purely by your setting! My experiences have all been very expensive! Sanctity of merits protects your xp but nothing protects your spells. As powerful as they are, they have to be judged on value by what the spell brings to the story like Dave said. Comparing to merits is sort of unfair because a killed retainer can become a weak artifact or a decent shadow name or some useful resources.

But a broken spell's value is priced by the ST and other players, lasting only as long as others permit. So, crafting items people don't blink eyes at are great but walking around self-buffed makes you a target. And at high gnosis do you even need to relinquish that?

Meanwhile I might need to cast a spell that wards a spirit to be trapped inside it for an indefinite time and I know I can't come back to this placw regularly so I have to relinquish the spell. A lot of my relinquished spells are expensive cuz I often get into situations where I need long lasting spells that effect things I wont be revisiting soon but my morals and wisdom need my attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
                  what they are saying is an ST is honor-bound to protect your merits, and sanctity or merits protects your merits from the other players, well-meaning or no.
                  I don't think they are. The actual example in the core book is a retainer being killed by an 'eldritch horror', so presumably the ST not another player.

Comment

I don't think they are. The actual example in the core book is a retainer being killed by an 'eldritch horror', so presumably the ST not another player.
                    Umm... what? Whats that got to do with sanctity of merits? It doesn't matter how the merit goes defunct (eldritch horror) you still have sanctity and can get a new merit!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
                      Umm... what? Whats that got to do with sanctity of merits? It doesn't matter how the merit goes defunct (eldritch horror) you still have sanctity and can get a new merit!
                      Sorry. By mentioning SoM in the middle of the sentence after the 'and', it looks like the first half of the sentence is referring to something else.

So, I thought you were saying that there's a general rule of STs not messing with merits, and then SoM is a different rule for relations with other players.

Comment

eeeuullck yuck you're right. Sorry about that..

Comment

Working...
                        X