Crafting an Artificial Soul

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crafting an Artificial Soul

Let's say that you had a Mage suffering from soul loss, and you wanted to hide that fact. You decide to create a artificial soul and place it in the Mage. Obviously this isn't a real soul, and won't remove the soul loss condition, but the idea is just to make it look like the soul is still intact. It would need to stand up to passive scrutiny, but successful Revelation of Deep Information would reveal it as a forgery.

What Arcana would be involved? Death obviously but anything else? I'm thinking Prime and Supernal Veil to hide the fact that the soul is the product of a spell. Also what level of Death would be appropriate for this? I suspect Death 5 would be needed as it's creating something, but maybe other people have other opinions.

Honestly? This sounds like the Veiling Practice. Best I can tell, your Spell requires Death 2 + Prime 2. It wouldn't create even a fake Soul, but it would conjure an appearance of one.

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

Yeah, it doesn’t fix anything it just masks the damage? That’s just Veiling.

Comment

Creating an artificial soul might be difficult. Literal creation would be Making, and require at least Death, possibly also the other four Subtle Arcana. Then a Prime Veiling spell to hide it from Passive and Active Mage Sight.

The easier solution, as suggested by others, is just to Veil the soul loss, and that require's only Death Veiling. Due to the nature of the spell it would not ping Passive Mage Sight, but secondary use of Prime Veiling could hide the fact that a spell is involved from Active Mage Sight.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Yeah, it'd just be Death 2. Although you can't cure the soul loss condition you could fight some of the symptoms - a Mind spell that adds Willpower at regular intervals, such that if they don't exert themselves they never run out and progress the Condition, perhaps.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like that gives me the sorts of ideas I was looking for.

Comment

Now here's a follow up situation, what if you wanted to trick (even briefly) a Reaper into thinking you have a soul, when yours is in fact safely hidden. Would that require something more like Death 5 with maybe Prime 2 or 3 to cover up the fact it's fake?
              The idea being he steals your soul and books it, and doesn't realize he stole nothing until much later. (It's for a plot point for a villain, not a player trying to do it.)

Comment

I'd make it just Death 3 or Spirit 3 to shape a lump of ephemera to fit where your soul should go, and you can just use a Veiling spell to make it look like a soul.

Comment

You could beat the Reaper at their own game. Use Death 3 to steal a Sleeper's soul and put it inside yourself (probably requiring a Death 2 spell to not start morphing to fit your soul slot and take on your traits). When the Reaper steals the soul they'll end up with a Sleeper's soul instead of an Awakened's soul.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Musical chairs but with souls sounds like a Rapt horror 200th birthday party celebration

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                      You could beat the Reaper at their own game. Use Death 3 to steal a Sleeper's soul and put it inside yourself (probably requiring a Death 2 spell to not start morphing to fit your soul slot and take on your traits). When the Reaper steals the soul they'll end up with a Sleeper's soul instead of an Awakened's soul.

While that would certainly work, and I did consider it, it's a pretty bad Act of Hubris, and that's what I'm trying to have this character avoid. It's a mystery for my players to solve, finding out what happened to her. I don't want her to be guilty of soul theft (the Cabal has a Guardian who prefers to shoot first and sort out whether the action was justified or not later).

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
                        Musical chairs but with souls sounds like a Rapt horror 200th birthday party celebration

That sounds terrifying.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                          I'd make it just Death 3 or Spirit 3 to shape a lump of ephemera to fit where your soul should go, and you can just use a Veiling spell to make it look like a soul.

I guess you aren't actually creating a soul, so you should be able to just take existing ephemera and modify it. You're right Death 3 should be sufficient.

If you were severing your own soul, would it still require Sever the Awakened Soul, or would Sever Soul work just fine seeing as you wouldn't be resisting the effect?

Comment

Originally posted by TenguGrib View Post
                            I guess you aren't actually creating a soul, so you should be able to just take existing ephemera and modify it. You're right Death 3 should be sufficient.

If you were severing your own soul, would it still require Sever the Awakened Soul, or would Sever Soul work just fine seeing as you wouldn't be resisting the effect?
                            I think it would usually require Death 5. Exceptions can be made, for instance in To The Strongest there was a mention of a legacy whose members detach their soul, put it in a jar and bury it to protect it when they venture into the Invisible Realms. They might be able to remove their souls simply by being initiated in the legacy. Although, they may also be a legacy built on finding other ways to use their soul stones.

From that same book it might be possible to recreate the Breath Urns (Name?) which give +5 against attempts to steal or tamper with souls and the soul will move out of you and hide in the jar.
                            Last edited by Mrmdubois; 11-09-2018, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X