Food, Life and Matter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
    Fruit comes from a living being, but is not alive.
    A quick Google search says this is incorrect, it's still very much alive.

Comment

Symbolically speaking, it's very much definitely alive. Both while still attached to the bigger organism and probably quite a bit after it has detached since it's still part of the mechanism of the still living seed within the fruit. During a period of time after the fruit has started to decay and before it's so decayed it's no longer functional for the seed it may be both alive and dead enough for both Life and Death (for Death spells that necessitates that the subject has to be dead, which is only a subset of all the relevant Death spells since purviews does not dictate potential subjects for most Arcana) to manipulate in ways.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post

Well for me it would totally be lasting when consumed! But I think that's best as Storytellers preference because if the spell can end while its still in someones system, how and why and where is important for say, a loaf of bread thats really arsenic for a well timed assassination!

But if I had to argue the case, after food left the stomach its occult pattern changes and the spell is "lasting" then, even as waste its lasting.

But the simplest one is to say, eat it, and its lasting. no drama in it turning back after a day if you can always make more, and anyone with patterning can bust out a months duration no sweat sooooo... Theyd hafta deliberately decrease it to make timing relevant!

For stock-piles of food or with sleeper dissonance timing is more important but I still think thr drama is usualky over when the foods eaten. But if not, then, if its still being digested it could change back horrifically, but if the nutrients are in the blood stream its now lasting.

Molecular truths are only part of the fallen world after all.
        Not just poison, what happens when food conjured out of nothing vanishes when the duration expires and it has already been incorporated into the body?

Comment

Originally posted by Exthalion View Post

Not just poison, what happens when food conjured out of nothing vanishes when the duration expires and it has already been incorporated into the body?
          Thats the reason I think digesting the food fully should make it Lasting for the same reason most healing spells are Lasting.

Comment

The food summoned disappears after Duration
            The food digested is not anymore the food you created so it's fine, because you digesting the food to produce energy is a lasting effect of the spell

Comment

I mean you can't exactly 'take back' the energy expended that you generated from the digestion of food, that's a side effect of the spell's operation. But upon the spell ending, your remaining stored glucose should revert to whatever you transformed it from, much like all the digested food that is yet to be excreted.

Which will leave you proportionally hungry to the non-used glucose from the food, and quite possibly a stomach/digestive tract full of rocks, or otherwise indigestible materials.

Making food out of other matter, or expanding food to feed more people isn't a good plan, and really just seems like a more convoluted way of accessing the Reach option from Knit.

Spells have side effects and limitations, and one of the biggest among them is the fact that their primary effect stops working when their duration runs out. I suggest not breaking that by permitting the subject matter of the spell to escape reversion through being 'changed' or altered in some way to be other than its original chemical/physical composition.
              Last edited by HerbertIsBestBert; 11-24-2018, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HerbertIsBestBert View Post
                Making food out of other matter, or expanding food to feed more people isn't a good plan, and really just seems like a more convoluted way of accessing the Reach option from Knit.
                It's a standard example of a magical and/or miraculous occurrence that is meaningfully distinct from a bonus effect on a healing spell. "You can't make stones into bread without riddling someone's digestive tract with gravel" is the more convoluted read here.

This is symbolic legerdemain, not high-fidelity programming.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Working...
                X