Most useful first edition books?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most useful first edition books?

I sorta mentioned this in my other thread, but just to give it its own subject: For a first time Mage ST, what are some of the better books to pick up to give you good inspiration for setting up a chronicle and building the setting for the players. Also what books are good for coming up with some early plot-lines?

I'm a big fan of Astral realms. I would say the order books are still fairly useful for setting content, if not mechanical content. Sanctum and Sigil is pretty good if you're looking for a more political game, while Intruders: Encounters with the Abyss and Night Horrors: The Unbidden are great if you're looking for something truly creepy/horrific.

Comment

Firstly, Mage the Awakening as a gameline has so much stuff, you and your players should just decide what you find most interesting and focus on that. Nobody should be expected to grasp everything at once.

This thread may prove to be useful: LINK

Although it's 1st Edition, the Chronicler's Guide has an entire chapter dedicated to storytelling advice. The remaining chapters describe rules hacks, and as such will be of less use to you.

I'm seconding Intruders: Encounters with the Abyss and Night Horrors: The Unbidden. They're collections of antagonists and phenomena you can base your stories around. Leliel is doing an in-character "Let's Read" of the latter over at rpg.net: LINK

Left Hand Path and Seers of the Throne describe factions of antagonistic mages, if you want to go in that direction.

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

Awesome, super helpful guys. I'm a total book completionist so I know if this catches on I'll probably end up getting everything the next time there's a decent drivethru sale. I guess I'm just trying to pick the order I read them in. Sounds like if I want to keep the horror tone Intruders and Night horrors is a good start from what you're saying.

Comment

Personally, I'm a fan I'd Summoners. If you want to add some flavour to your Supernal Beings, that's a great place to start. The Order books (including Seers) and Astral Realms I'd consider essential reading.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

My personal current top 3 favourites are:
            Sanctum and sigil. Describes mage society and more important cabals.
            Secrets of the ruined temple. About atlantean ruins, in short the indiana jones/tomb raider book.
            Keys to the supernal tarot. A lot of different things that I for some reason loves.
            Honourable mentions: Tome of the mysteries, summoners, astral realms.

Comment

My vote would be for Left Hand Path. The fluff and mechanics on some of the more interesting villains is delicious.

Comment

Summoners and Astral Realms. The Order books are good, but I think the most important aspects of them have been put into the 2e Core, the extra space to develop things better is nice but they don't feel as essential to me now.

Comment

Originally posted by Toine View Post
                  My personal current top 3 favourites are:
                  Sanctum and sigil. Describes mage society and more important cabals.
                  Secrets of the ruined temple. About atlantean ruins, in short the indiana jones/tomb raider book.
                  Keys to the supernal tarot. A lot of different things that I for some reason loves.
                  Honourable mentions: Tome of the mysteries, summoners, astral realms.
                  ^^^ my favs ^^^

Also, Book of the Dead from nWoD\Geists if you like Underworld stuff

Comment

Working...
                  X