The Church of Night as a Nameless Order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Church of Night as a Nameless Order

I wrote up the Church of Night from The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina as a nameless order.

Feedback is welcome.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...FYR3Vu9g/edit#

Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
    Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
    Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Even when I think Greendale's Church of Night is much more closer to local congregation of Beasts - I can do some help on Nameless Order as made the same discussion with our polish fans on topic.

So the problem to me with Church of Night as Awakened group is that Awakened form where the Mystery is, to research them. I do not feel this thing with Church of Night - they got they answer, they just follow Satan.

One of our fans supporting Mage interpretation pointed that they can follow very dark humorous Exarch as some small Ministry - and this I could much more see in them.

The problem still is that characters use universal powers on one hand - and very open end magic on the other, not meshing with restricted to Arcana studies magic of Mage.

My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Consiliums are formed where Mysteries happen. To a lesser extent, the same thing happens with Assemblies.

Nameless Orders are what happens when a cabal expands to substantial size while still maintaining a core identity without buying into one of the main Sects and Orders/Ministries within the Sects-and plenty of cabals form with none of the Mysteries they involve themselves with having any bearing on their formation, ideas, practices, or resources.

Finding a hybrid approach to the show and Awakening, the Church of Night would be a Nameless Order that binds itself to a powerful demon of probably Infernal origins and strongly ties in the spirits of the Original Thirteen and their history/mythology as the founding for that extended cabal. Beyond that, it gets fuzzy as basically there's no real Awakening in Sabrina, or if there is it's such a gradual one as to be basically any given witch's life-and-training-within-it, having something akin to a variant Proximus-like deal, with the Dark Baptism being basically just a pact, the simplest in the book-power for servitude.

To suggest that it is somehow a extended Brood of Beasts is to ignore how the Church of Night is basically just one of two patriarchies dedicated to subservience-to what end, we don't properly know (though we can realistically assume to the ends of vice given the Christian-Adversarial-Angle of the Devil), but that's a far cry from the inherent sense of matrilineal power that start with familial affection that is driven more by the push-and-pull of the inherent nihilism-and-cosmic-horror that is embodied in facing nature and the world-which is to say that the two principles are superficially alike but actually completely at odds with each other.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
      Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
        Finding a hybrid approach to the show and Awakening, the Church of Night would be a Nameless Order that binds itself to a powerful demon of probably Infernal origins and strongly ties in the spirits of the Original Thirteen and their history/mythology as the founding for that extended cabal. Beyond that, it gets fuzzy as basically there's no real Awakening in Sabrina, or if there is it's such a gradual one as to be basically any given witch's life-and-training-within-it, having something akin to a variant Proximus-like deal, with the Dark Baptism being basically just a pact, the simplest in the book-power for servitude.
        For this little exercise, I decided not to speculate in the document on what the Dark Lord/Satan really is. In the show, he's clearly the capital D Devil, but in the weirder world of Awakening, I figured it would be more fun to leave it open. One reason to not describe it in a document like this is that a powerful localized Satanic figure who can grant significant power (if not an Awakening) is an effective central Mystery. If I ran it, the Dark Lord would probably be some sort of Bound. Maybe an Old God cast out of Pandemonium during The Fall of the Time Before who still has access to power on the level of the Imperial Practices.

I don't agree with Wyrdhamster that the witches are Beasts. They chant high speech, they use symbolic yantras, and they inhabit the iconography of witchcraft. They don't teach lessons, and they aren't primordial archetypal hungry horrors. It's true that their powers can't be easily categorized within tiers of power as the Arcana do - television has different needs than a roleplaying game does. Most of their powers do seem similar to the Mastigos and Acanthus paths, however. A lot of blessings and curses with a dash of teleportation and astral projection. If I were to write up the Spellman family as a Proximus Dynasty, I'd probably choose Space, Mind, and Fate with a family line curse related to interactions with Sleepers.
        Last edited by Octavo; 11-25-2018, 01:51 AM.

Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
        Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
        Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

On the former, I approve!

On the latter, well, yeah. There's a lot with Hamster's reading that is bad. As for the Spellman's as a Proximus, it's hard, because a) the closer analog is that Birth=Awakening, with the rest of their life being the development of their power, and b) Sabrina's magic seems pretty much in line with the way magic is for witches in general. There's not enough to designate her as being distinct enough from her peers at this moment, asides from the hellfire* at the end, to demark the sort of stuff a Proximus or Legacy would need. Still, defs not a bad train of thought as it goes.
          Last edited by ArcaneArts; 11-25-2018, 02:51 AM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
          Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

Working...
          X