Beats from paradox

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beats from paradox

I know you get beats from resolving paradox conditions. Is there any way of gaining beats by releasing paradox?

Something I like to encourage my players to do more

I mean... If releasing your Paradox is an Act of Hubris, then you get an Arcane Beat.

Comment

Offering Beats as a temptation for PCs engaging in reckless acts is perfectly good form at any table I have played at. Simple smile evilly to your players the next time they roll a dox and offer an arcane beat in return for releasing the paradox. I would suggest having the consequences be mildly annoying/interesting and humorous the first time you do it, rather than overly macabre or disastrous, then ramp up as it becomes a more established part of the experience.

Comment

The most important thing is to not let the PC that releases it suffer any negative consequences from it. Released Paradox is somebody elee’s problem.

Comment

Kind of?
          You should try and avoid completely undermining the purpose of the spell, but tainting their goal with compromise and unintended side effects for more than just Joe Bloggs: Professional Bystander is a good idea.

It's unclear whether Paradox is purposefully malicious or even aware. Or whether it's aware that it can convince people to release more if releasing isn't completely counter-intuitive.

Comment

Unintended consequence is absolutely relevant, but if possible the spell should otherwise work as intended. This isn't because Paradox isn't malicious, but because on a meta-level and in character it makes releasing Paradox seem like less of a risk because it comes at no risk to you, and thus encourages it. The most successful vector of the Abyss is the one that never realizes just how horrible they've inadvertently been to the rest of reality and continues to allow Abyssal influence to spread as a result. Now, since this is a story telling game, eventually there should be problems that come home to roost on the pc so they can have the opportunity to learn the error of their ways. Those consequences just shouldn't stem directly from releasing a Paradox most of the time.

Comment

An Abyssal entity taking root in their neighborhood after several such releases should do nicely.

Comment

Yeah. Eventually there are consequences, but that can come in multiple avenues, like witnessing how your irresponsibility has fucked people up, or pressure from your peers who are squicked out about your Abyssal taint, or an Abyssal entity in your neighborhood causing trouble or whatever. My main thrust is that there shouldn't be immediate consequences for releasing a Paradox.

I've been toying with the idea of the results of a Mage's Paradox only being able to be cleaned up by the Mage that caused it. Other Mages might be able to sort of contain it, but to truly purge it the Mage who caused it needs to put in the work of cleaning up their mess. Which sucks if that Mage dies before they get around to it, but hey, it's a Chronicle of Darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                  Yeah. Eventually there are consequences, but that can come in multiple avenues, like witnessing how your irresponsibility has fucked people up, or pressure from your peers who are squicked out about your Abyssal taint, or an Abyssal entity in your neighborhood causing trouble or whatever. My main thrust is that there shouldn't be immediate consequences for releasing a Paradox.

I've been toying with the idea of the results of a Mage's Paradox only being able to be cleaned up by the Mage that caused it. Other Mages might be able to sort of contain it, but to truly purge it the Mage who caused it needs to put in the work of cleaning up their mess. Which sucks if that Mage dies before they get around to it, but hey, it's a Chronicle of Darkness.

Personally I really like the idea of mages having to clean up messes left by messy or sloppy peers. It also allows for cleaning up after Scelesti being something a cabal could be asked to do on behalf of a Consilium.

But I would definitely make it easier for the person who caused it to clean up the mess.
                  Last edited by TenguGrib; 12-03-2018, 09:56 PM. Reason: added final line.

Comment

Even if you didn't make it mechanically necessary for the offender to clean up his Abyssal mess, his peers would certainly make it a social necessity.
                    "Clean up your mess or we will...starting with you."

Comment

Working...
                    X