Here’s my rough draft of my First Mage Character

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here’s my rough draft of my First Mage Character

Let’s be really on the nose and call her Sophia. Sophia had a a Good upper middle class Childhood with loving parents,

She often muses how Lucky she is

All right siblings, she was mildly Flighty,Lazy Being diagnosed with Clinical Depression and Autism in her teens, as a Child, and was in the 98th Percentile of All Children In America in Reading, and took a Keen Interest In Politics and Folklore ..

Mostly normal except that when her grandfather a WW2 Medic who had fallen into a rut of Drinking and melcholy .so he Made a deal with a Demon for the parentage of his children. He failed so deeply as a Father so why not?

Because of the deal she has the Don’t I Know You? Embed.
    She knows that random Strangers are more likely to act nice to her. But she just chalks it up to Looks, and Luck.

She caught the attention of the GM when she was 14 .

who then Diverts some Minor Anarchic Analysis infrastructures into studying her Local area, and Slowly completes Her Cipher

Because of her Intellect and admitted laziness she Crashed with her parents, one day she goes outside for some fresh air.

Our she thought she saw someone who needed help., in Subzero Weather gets stuck and Awakens Because it’s really Cold and she starts Suffering hyperthermia and Awakens into a Mage of the (IDK path Maybe you can build suggestions?)

After that Queer experience she musters up enough Energy to find help or shelter.

She’s Scared and tries to pretend This shit never happened the Nawing Urg to Find Mysteries. Finds a crappy House to live in For privacy local

But The God-Machine then gets Interested more so and Sends a Guardian Angel to keep watch over her.
    Working title “Helen”

And also finds a Cabel of similar Losers of novice mages

And sets up ‘Mysteries’ for her to solve Kind off like a Easter egg hunt party. And often killing two birds with one stone. With more “natural” Occult Phenomena.

Just a reminder if her Cipher completes, BAD THINGS© happen. You really don't want to be Activated. So Helen shouldn't be around yet (unless you take the Guardian Angel merit or something). You only start off as Noted, remember?

But on to the meat and bones of the character. Right away there are some issues; strictly speaking the character described above would be an (adopted) Latent. So she needs to have encountered the Machine to qualify for Offspring status before she was Awakened. This is most likely when her Stigmata manifested. All Demon-blooded have one, remember?

Now as for her Path suggestion, it depends on how she felt about things; helping the person she thought she saw, the way her life was going, etc. The laziness described does seem to eliminate Obrimos and knocks Thyrsus down a peg in terms of options, but the why of it matters the most. Depression and self loathing lend themselves well to Moros and Mastigos (the later is known to be determined/driven so maybe not for your Sophia). Being 'flighty' is a stereotype of Acanthus, so there is that.
    The Primal Wilds, Stygia, Pandemonium and Arcadia all have logical 'cold areas'. It could work for Aether too (turning heat into kinetic energy/wind) but that feels wrong. *sighs*one day I'll make a Demon-blooded angel summoner, but not out of your Sophia.

I have no issue with the G-M creating 'Mysteries' for her and being a big part of her story, but check with the Storyteller first. I am assuming you aren't the only player and the Machine can easily eat up an entire Chronicle if you aren't careful.

What is 'the Nawing Urg'?

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

The difficulty I can see is that the Awakening is very 1e. In 2e you don't just awaken from being in a tough situation anymore.

Comment

And I see an error in my assumptions; the Awakening steps up the Noted condition to Catagorized. That is where Helen comes from. Of course, that implies a progression in the Cipher,m but again that is something to talk with your storyteller about. After all, that is not a guarantee.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
          Just a reminder if her Cipher completes, BAD THINGS© happen. You really don't want to be Activated. So Helen shouldn't be around yet (unless you take the Guardian Angel merit or something). You only start off as Noted, remember?

But on to the meat and bones of the character. Right away there are some issues; strictly speaking the character described above would be an (adopted) Latent. So she needs to have encountered the Machine to qualify for Offspring status before she was Awakened. This is most likely when her Stigmata manifested. All Demon-blooded have one, remember?

Now as for her Path suggestion, it depends on how she felt about things; helping the person she thought she saw, the way her life was going, etc. The laziness described does seem to eliminate Obrimos and knocks Thyrsus down a peg in terms of options, but the why of it matters the most. Depression and self loathing lend themselves well to Moros and Mastigos (the later is known to be determined/driven so maybe not for your Sophia). Being 'flighty' is a stereotype of Acanthus, so there is that.
          The Primal Wilds, Stygia, Pandemonium and Arcadia all have logical 'cold areas'. It could work for Aether too (turning heat into kinetic energy/wind) but that feels wrong. *sighs*one day I'll make a Demon-blooded angel summoner, but not out of your Sophia.

I have no issue with the G-M creating 'Mysteries' for her and being a big part of her story, but check with the Storyteller first. I am assuming you aren't the only player and the Machine can easily eat up an entire Chronicle if you aren't careful.

What is 'the Nawing Urg'?
          Thanks as the title Said this is just a very rough draft

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            The difficulty I can see is that the Awakening is very 1e. In 2e you don't just awaken from being in a tough situation anymore.
            What changed about awakening?

Comment

Read the fluff in the 2e book, it’s not usually just a single moment of epiphany anymore, but a mystic journey that takes time and develops you toward being an obsessive Mage. There’ll be even more on it in SoS.

Comment

So your a writer?

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
                  So your a writer?
                  He doesn't have to be. It has been 'spoiled' that they will provide more information on Awakenings in Signs, even some guidelines(?)/rules(?) on running them in play. Remember the whole 'mystery play' idea of Awakenings? Still a thing.
                  I think Dave Brookshaw mentioned it in the Onyx Pathcast, correcting an oversight? IIRC he wanted to make it so we could roleplay through the Awakening like we can the Embrace or First Change.

Comment

That’s good.

Comment

Indeed.
                      If I may...
                      What are you intentions for the character?

Just as a character's Aspirations give them direction, so do yours.
                      Heck, even something simple, like 'what is Sophia's Obession' can help fill out parts of her character.

Comment

I don’t know. Maybe get help I think of changeing her Awakening into repeatedly going out in into Very cold Weather and trying to Kill herself because of Suffering from Clinical depression and other mental issues but she couldn’t do.

She is just a Coward ,what would her mother think if she Winds up Frozen to death. what about her Puppy who always licked her tears from her face ?

she hides her frostbittien Fingers from her mom to not stress her out.

A could Go with get helped with her many Mental Ilnesses?

Comment

That’s really dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                            That’s really dark.
                            Yes. It is also much more compelling.
                            Still, check with who you are playing with. That kind of thing usually comes with a trigger warning and with good reason.

Since this has gone from a flighty, lazy altruist to someone trying overcome their own suicidal tendancies, a Path has opened up in front of Sophia. An Offspring Mastigos, at war with her psychological demons. How apt.

The details should be tailored to taste of course, but an Aspiration of "Becoming worthy of my loved ones (Long Term)" fits well in theme and on brand. Added benifit is that it is a 'false positive'. The therapy would try to reafirm she is already worthy (because most people are) and the trick is getting her to believe it.

Key point here, is that it is critical that she tries to overcome this depression. She doesn't have to win every battle (even if she curses her own weakness for every failure), but the resolve to fight and not give up is important this version.

Alternatively...

If she succeeded in losing her life on one of these outings, the change could be that of rejecting the afterlife she perceived in Stgyia. Change brought on by a Moros's regret could also serve as a delightful motivation. I confess my bias to the above option but Necromancer is not out of the question.

Just depends on the direction you want to go with.

Comment

Do you have any ideas about her first contact with the God-machine?

Comment

Working...
                              X