The Order (Netflix)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Order (Netflix)

Netflix has a series that'd make a really good inspiration for Mage: The Awakening.

Spoiler-free highlights include:
    - The premise of the show is that the protagonist joins a Mystery Cult/Cryptopoly/Labyrinth to get political connections he can use to get vengeance on his deadbeat dad.
    - The Mystery Cult is run out of a really sweet Sanctum.
    - Magic is heavy on the rituals and yantras, ranging from ancient artifacts to doodles on a piece of paper. Blood offerings are extremely common. One of the recurring themes is that all Magic has a price.
    - Magic that looks free just foists its cost off to someone else. The results are messy and quite similar to how Paradox works, in a way.
    - Another recurring theme is greed for power and knowing one's limits. It's very evocative of Wisdom.
    - A dive in the Astral Realms.
    - Mages are all bastards.
    - No, seriously, they're all fucking bastards. All of them. No exception.

Overall, it's a very interesting series and if you have Netflix, you might as well check it out.
    Last edited by Tiresias; 03-15-2019, 03:54 PM.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
    [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
    [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

It's effectively a werewolf versus mage show.

Comment

The trailer looks amazing. Even the werewolves look decent!

Comment

Magic has a price is pretty much the Seer slogan.

Comment

Watched some of it - it's really bad, in my opinion. The protagonist is a blatant Mary Sue, the plot is uninspired, and the acting is not great.

The Magicians is much better source of inspiration for me, personally - their magic has Mudras (very well represented, though other yantras/ritualism/etc is also present), the themes (Magic is a Drug) feel very much more aligned with Awakening (see: Obsessions), and although it can also be uninspired at times it somehow manages to carry it a lot better.

Comment

I watched the whole thing and it's forgettably mediocre.

I felt it was more Ascension & Apocalypse than Awakening & Forsaken. The magic was highly ritualistic and stylized rather than primarily freeform with a few rituals thrown in, with a very specific aesthetic and - dare I say it - paradigm.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
              The Magicians is much better source of inspiration for me, personally - their magic has Mudras (very well represented, though other yantras/ritualism/etc is also present), the themes (Magic is a Drug) feel very much more aligned with Awakening (see: Obsessions), and although it can also be uninspired at times it somehow manages to carry it a lot better.
              Goddamn, that looks freaky. I love it.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
              [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
              [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of The Order for reasons that Inodiv mentioned, but there is a bigger reason: I'm not a fan of the theme "Magic has a price." No, "Magic has limits" is a far better theme. It's hard to argue that signing your name onto a watchtower is a cost, and it doesn't cost you anything to cast a spell in your ruling arcana (at least so long as the spell doesn't naturally cost mana). However, no newly awakened person has access to weaving, fraying, or perfecting spells, let along making. That's a limit. Furthermore you can't have a spell naturally change its parameters unless you are an archmage. That's a very hard limit. And yet Awakening has some of the best, if not the best, magic of any system out there.

Even if the acting were done better and the protagonist wasn't a Mary Sue I would still dislike the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon777 View Post
                  Yeah, I'm not a big fan of The Order for reasons that Inodiv mentioned, but there is a bigger reason: I'm not a fan of the theme "Magic has a price." No, "Magic has limits" is a far better theme. It's hard to argue that signing your name onto a watchtower is a cost, and it doesn't cost you anything to cast a spell in your ruling arcana (at least so long as the spell doesn't naturally cost mana). However, no newly awakened person has access to weaving, fraying, or perfecting spells, let along making. That's a limit. Furthermore you can't have a spell naturally change its parameters unless you are an archmage. That's a very hard limit. And yet Awakening has some of the best, if not the best, magic of any system out there.

Even if the acting were done better and the protagonist wasn't a Mary Sue I would still dislike the show.
                  I feel like this magic has a price thing became a fad after Once Upon Time did it so well, perhaps too well. Even the Magicians is trying to do it even though the initial premise was "magic comes from pain", but less so recently.

Need to read the books first...

Comment

Personally I thought that Once Upon A Time was trite and poorly done myself, but I can see why it would help to popularize the theme.

Comment

The protagonist isn't a Mary Sue

Spoiler Alert
                      he gets fucked over by the woman he loves in the end, gets his memories erased, almost gets killed which leads to his Grandfather getting killed by his Father, leaving him without family, he fucking eats his Philosophy Professor and innocent mentor. A lot of people get hurt from his mistakes with magic. In the end he loses just about everything, his family is dead, he is no longer in the order, doesn't know magic anymore, I don't know if he knows he is a Werewolf, ends up bound to a Werewolf spirit called Cannon Fodder, almost says screw it and quiets, save several people from being murdered, almost gets killed by Clay, fails to bring back the necromatic artifact. Yes he ends up some what powerful for a time, but far from the most powerful character in the show. I mean seriously by the end of season 1 he ends up losing everything ultimately, except for his revenge against his Father, but he likely won't remember that either.

I don't remember any series he's hero manages to win the big fight and yet manages to lose everything in season 1.

Where the heck is the Mary Sue in that? Mary Sue gets careless thrown around too much.

I loved the show, so much fun.

Spoiler tags, use them in future. - Lioness
                      Last edited by Lioness; 03-21-2019, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
                        There's really no consensus on what the term means, so I'll just say that I disagree and leave it at that.

Also, it'd be nice if you put a little more effort into concealing spoilers - I don't care, but there's a good chance that the people looking at this thread haven't finished the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiresias View Post

Goddamn, that looks freaky. I love it.

Well Magicians, seasons 1 through 3, are also on Netflix, so if you can watch the Order you can watch Magicians.

Comment

Originally posted by StSword View Post

Well Magicians, seasons 1 through 3, are also on Netflix, so if you can watch the Order you can watch Magicians.
                            Not if he lives in a different part of the world than you. I don't have The Magicians on my Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

Spoiler Alert
                              he gets fucked over by the woman he loves in the end, gets his memories erased, almost gets killed which leads to his Grandfather getting killed by his Father, leaving him without family, he fucking eats his Philosophy Professor and innocent mentor. A lot of people get hurt from his mistakes with magic. In the end he loses just about everything, his family is dead, he is no longer in the order, doesn't know magic anymore, I don't know if he knows he is a Werewolf, ends up bound to a Werewolf spirit called Cannon Fodder, almost says screw it and quiets, save several people from being murdered, almost gets killed by Clay, fails to bring back the necromatic artifact. Yes he ends up some what powerful for a time, but far from the most powerful character in the show. I mean seriously by the end of season 1 he ends up losing everything ultimately, except for his revenge against his Father, but he likely won't remember that either.

I don't remember any series he's hero manages to win the big fight and yet manages to lose everything in season 1.

Where the heck is the Mary Sue in that? Mary Sue gets careless thrown around too much.

I loved the show, so much fun.

Spoiler tags, use them in future. - Lioness
                              I would if I knew how

Comment

Working...
                              X