X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiresias
    started a topic The Order (Netflix)

The Order (Netflix)

Netflix has a series that'd make a really good inspiration for Mage: The Awakening.

Spoiler-free highlights include:
    - The premise of the show is that the protagonist joins a Mystery Cult/Cryptopoly/Labyrinth to get political connections he can use to get vengeance on his deadbeat dad.
    - The Mystery Cult is run out of a really sweet Sanctum.
    - Magic is heavy on the rituals and yantras, ranging from ancient artifacts to doodles on a piece of paper. Blood offerings are extremely common. One of the recurring themes is that all Magic has a price.
    - Magic that looks free just foists its cost off to someone else. The results are messy and quite similar to how Paradox works, in a way.
    - Another recurring theme is greed for power and knowing one's limits. It's very evocative of Wisdom.
    - A dive in the Astral Realms.
    - Mages are all bastards.
    - No, seriously, they're all fucking bastards. All of them. No exception.

Overall, it's a very interesting series and if you have Netflix, you might as well check it out.
    Last edited by Tiresias; 03-15-2019, 03:54 PM.

• Omegaphallic
    replied
    test

Leave a comment:

• Omegaphallic
    replied
    Originally posted by Taldorblackfire View Post
    I have watched this show, and after 3 Episodes I was done.

Mainly because he was a Werewolf that had Magic and Werewolves hunted down magic so basically this caused some conflict that really made no sense to me. So, how have Werewolves and Mages not killed one another out? The same deal with Twilight, but that is another story. Why did he kill his favorite professor? Was it just because? I guess that is my lack of watching Episode 4 to discover why his Werewolf self killed his college professor. Maybe he was using magic? I don't know, but it seemed like a cheap way to take a stab at a character. I honestly felt like it tried to do so many things that I was overwhelmed with what the point was and lost interest fast.

The whole magic comes at a cost thing also made no sense to me so I never could figure out what formula that was exactly. It seemed like a neat idea, but I second the Magicians, that one seems much more Mage the Awakening inspiration.
    The answers are in the rest of episodes, it does get explained.

Leave a comment:

• Florin
    replied
    Taldor, your why question is answered in the next episode. I have no idea if you'd find that explanation satisfactory, but they do provide one.

Leave a comment:

• Taldorblackfire
    replied
    I have watched this show, and after 3 Episodes I was done.

Mainly because he was a Werewolf that had Magic and Werewolves hunted down magic so basically this caused some conflict that really made no sense to me. So, how have Werewolves and Mages not killed one another out? The same deal with Twilight, but that is another story. Why did he kill his favorite professor? Was it just because? I guess that is my lack of watching Episode 4 to discover why his Werewolf self killed his college professor. Maybe he was using magic? I don't know, but it seemed like a cheap way to take a stab at a character. I honestly felt like it tried to do so many things that I was overwhelmed with what the point was and lost interest fast.

The whole magic comes at a cost thing also made no sense to me so I never could figure out what formula that was exactly. It seemed like a neat idea, but I second the Magicians, that one seems much more Mage the Awakening inspiration.

Leave a comment:

• lnodiv
    replied
    Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

I would if I knew how
    Let me google that for you.

Leave a comment:

• Omegaphallic
    replied
    Originally posted by StSword View Post

Well Magicians, seasons 1 through 3, are also on Netflix, so if you can watch the Order you can watch Magicians.
    Not on Netflix Canada, they have to get the TV channel Showcase. As a cable cutter I say no to that.

Leave a comment:

• Omegaphallic
    replied
    The protagonist isn't a Mary Sue

Spoiler Alert
    he gets fucked over by the woman he loves in the end, gets his memories erased, almost gets killed which leads to his Grandfather getting killed by his Father, leaving him without family, he fucking eats his Philosophy Professor and innocent mentor. A lot of people get hurt from his mistakes with magic. In the end he loses just about everything, his family is dead, he is no longer in the order, doesn't know magic anymore, I don't know if he knows he is a Werewolf, ends up bound to a Werewolf spirit called Cannon Fodder, almost says screw it and quiets, save several people from being murdered, almost gets killed by Clay, fails to bring back the necromatic artifact. Yes he ends up some what powerful for a time, but far from the most powerful character in the show. I mean seriously by the end of season 1 he ends up losing everything ultimately, except for his revenge against his Father, but he likely won't remember that either.

I don't remember any series he's hero manages to win the big fight and yet manages to lose everything in season 1.

Where the heck is the Mary Sue in that? Mary Sue gets careless thrown around too much.

I loved the show, so much fun.

Spoiler tags, use them in future. - Lioness
    I would if I knew how

Leave a comment:

• Aristarkos
    replied
    Originally posted by StSword View Post

Well Magicians, seasons 1 through 3, are also on Netflix, so if you can watch the Order you can watch Magicians.
    Not if he lives in a different part of the world than you. I don't have The Magicians on my Netflix.

Leave a comment:

• StSword
    replied
    Originally posted by Tiresias View Post

Goddamn, that looks freaky. I love it.

Leave a comment:

• lnodiv
    replied
    There's really no consensus on what the term means, so I'll just say that I disagree and leave it at that.

Also, it'd be nice if you put a little more effort into concealing spoilers - I don't care, but there's a good chance that the people looking at this thread haven't finished the show.

Leave a comment:

• Omegaphallic
    replied

Spoiler Alert
    he gets fucked over by the woman he loves in the end, gets his memories erased, almost gets killed which leads to his Grandfather getting killed by his Father, leaving him without family, he fucking eats his Philosophy Professor and innocent mentor. A lot of people get hurt from his mistakes with magic. In the end he loses just about everything, his family is dead, he is no longer in the order, doesn't know magic anymore, I don't know if he knows he is a Werewolf, ends up bound to a Werewolf spirit called Cannon Fodder, almost says screw it and quiets, save several people from being murdered, almost gets killed by Clay, fails to bring back the necromatic artifact. Yes he ends up some what powerful for a time, but far from the most powerful character in the show. I mean seriously by the end of season 1 he ends up losing everything ultimately, except for his revenge against his Father, but he likely won't remember that either.

I don't remember any series he's hero manages to win the big fight and yet manages to lose everything in season 1.

Where the heck is the Mary Sue in that? Mary Sue gets careless thrown around too much.

I loved the show, so much fun.

Spoiler tags, use them in future. - Lioness
    Last edited by Lioness; 03-21-2019, 04:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Falcon777
    replied
    Personally I thought that Once Upon A Time was trite and poorly done myself, but I can see why it would help to popularize the theme.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet Witch
    replied
    Originally posted by Falcon777 View Post
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of The Order for reasons that Inodiv mentioned, but there is a bigger reason: I'm not a fan of the theme "Magic has a price." No, "Magic has limits" is a far better theme. It's hard to argue that signing your name onto a watchtower is a cost, and it doesn't cost you anything to cast a spell in your ruling arcana (at least so long as the spell doesn't naturally cost mana). However, no newly awakened person has access to weaving, fraying, or perfecting spells, let along making. That's a limit. Furthermore you can't have a spell naturally change its parameters unless you are an archmage. That's a very hard limit. And yet Awakening has some of the best, if not the best, magic of any system out there.

Even if the acting were done better and the protagonist wasn't a Mary Sue I would still dislike the show.
    I feel like this magic has a price thing became a fad after Once Upon Time did it so well, perhaps too well. Even the Magicians is trying to do it even though the initial premise was "magic comes from pain", but less so recently.

Need to read the books first...

Leave a comment:

• Falcon777
    replied
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of The Order for reasons that Inodiv mentioned, but there is a bigger reason: I'm not a fan of the theme "Magic has a price." No, "Magic has limits" is a far better theme. It's hard to argue that signing your name onto a watchtower is a cost, and it doesn't cost you anything to cast a spell in your ruling arcana (at least so long as the spell doesn't naturally cost mana). However, no newly awakened person has access to weaving, fraying, or perfecting spells, let along making. That's a limit. Furthermore you can't have a spell naturally change its parameters unless you are an archmage. That's a very hard limit. And yet Awakening has some of the best, if not the best, magic of any system out there.

Even if the acting were done better and the protagonist wasn't a Mary Sue I would still dislike the show.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X