No announcement yet.

A Question on Boons and Hexes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just as long as you're aware that doing that with dice tricks is explicitly a houserule so you should inform your table you're making it.

Comment

Seems ok; when you consider that there are plenty of spells that grant dice tricks and affect all rolls (conditionally).

Comment

I've been doing some more thinking about the recurrence thing and boons, and how long lasting fate effects stop coming into play once consumed.

The spell "Divine intervention" makes the hex recur every 24 hours. What if, rather than one spell having a special recurrence rule for a single spell, all boons and hexes recurred every 24 hours?

Comment

Originally posted by MovingMind View Post
          I've been doing some more thinking about the recurrence thing and boons, and how long lasting fate effects stop coming into play once consumed.

The spell "Divine intervention" makes the hex recur every 24 hours. What if, rather than one spell having a special recurrence rule for a single spell, all boons and hexes recurred every 24 hours?
          But thats not the same situation. With the normal hexes I can menace someone for the fun of it or give a serious disadvantage to someone for as long as I wish.
          Intervention *trades* versatility and power in for the 24 hour thing, and the *victim* gets the benefit that, following the specified ban or goal, the curse *will not affect them*. They can essentially turn the curse *off* so long as they play ball.

That spell is more specialized. Adding conditions that would make the overwhelmingly powerful support and control of Fate magic even *stronger* only makes sense if there is a logical trade off.
          Intervention can *sort-of* "recast" itself but it has specific triggers the victim can play around with.

Another problem is that conniving players can already "cheat" by being, well, *conniving*. You want to have hexes that repeat themselves? You need to work hard to do that but yeah you already *can* do that, its just convoluted and needs set-up. So the fact you already *can* should be a caution of doing it *again*.

Imagine a time hung spell containing more hexes, and it itself uses the conditional trigger attainment, and the condition is "when the first hex runs out of ammo, release this next hex on whoever was affected by the first hex" perhaps using code words like witchy-witchy threats to guide the hung spell to the desired target.

Spells can get crazy if your clever (and evil).

So combinations of combined-spells and hung spells and conditional triggers and spells thats only purpose is to act as guided missiles to deliver the main payload spell? Yeah, its complicated but its definitely possible to already do what you want.

So I definitely advise not making it even easier without some kind of trade off or way out. Fate magic loves manipulating intent and loopholes and its already an unfriendly force. And with creative thaumaturgy, maybe just make a spell closer to what you want that has other conditions in-play that require the caster to get creative or do some leg work, or offer a way out for the victim like Intervention and Atonement do.

The weeeirder spells of Fate are after a feeling mood theme or a specific kind of witchy atmosphere or to follow fairy-tale style curses.

If you wanna just, uh, smite someone? I'd just use Prime.

Comment

I think the self renewing hex could be done operating under rules similar to those of Nen from HunterxHunter. Specifically that the more conditions you abide by and the more severe the punishment for breaking them, the stronger the effect you can unleash.

For example, in that series, Chrollo can steal any Nen ability. But to do so he needs to:

1- See the ability with his own eyes.
            2- Ask the target about it and get the answer from them.
            3- Make the target's palm touch the handprint on the cover of a special book he summons.
            4- Fulfill the 3 conditions above within 1 hour.

So for a mage to produce such an effect, I would say he needs to summon a rank 4 Moirae. The mage negotiates the nuances of the curse and the summon provides the conditions they need to fulfill, as well as a loophole which voids the effect. This is the summon's Ordeal. They then give some symbol of it, in this case lets say its a crystal (could be a spell resting on their pattern, a runed ring, etc). When the conditions are fulfilled within sensory range of the crystal, it dissolves and the curse begins to take effect.

Something along those lines. The more power you want to wield above your standard abilities, the more hoops you need to jump over.
            Last edited by KaiserAfini; 05-13-2019, 04:58 PM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

Comment

A thing with Hexes though, is the Tilts. Some of they might last for the entire duration as they lack possible resolution rules when they come from non damage magic. One could argue that it's reasonable that one looses eyesight for the duration of the spell by giving the Blinded tilt two times on someone. As it is resolved when the damage heals, but no damage was done it might just stick around for the duration. Not sure yet how I would interpret the situation myself, but gut feeling says this is reasonable. As it is mage, (or cofd in general), other supernatural abilities could cure it.

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
                I think the self renewing hex could be done operating under rules similar to those of Nen from HunterxHunter. Specifically that the more conditions you abide by and the more severe the punishment for breaking them, the stronger the effect you can unleash.

For example, in that series, Chrollo can steal any Nen ability. But to do so he needs to:

1- See the ability with his own eyes.
                2- Ask the target about it and get the answer from them.
                3- Make the target's palm touch the handprint on the cover of a special book he summons.
                4- Fulfill the 3 conditions above within 1 hour.

So for a mage to produce such an effect, I would say he needs to summon a rank 4 Moirae. The mage negotiates the nuances of the curse and the summon provides the conditions they need to fulfill, as well as a loophole which voids the effect. This is the summon's Ordeal. They then give some symbol of it, in this case lets say its a crystal (could be a spell resting on their pattern, a runed ring, etc). When the conditions are fulfilled within sensory range of the crystal, it dissolves and the curse begins to take effect.

Something along those lines. The more power you want to wield above your standard abilities, the more hoops you need to jump over.
                Holy crap that's good advise!

I have one amendment too, if MovingMind needs this re-starting curses for a particular character but not like the whole setting (cus that will make Acanthai villains really really tough to deal with), might I suggest a Legaaacyyyyyy. An unorthodox off-kilter Attainment as suggested in the sidebar on page 199 could help~

Honestly though I think conditions are better for long-term hexes anyway, they're more cost-effective per potency for small debuffs and that's usually good enough to tip scales anyway. If your mage can pull off -5 debuffs with hexes after Withstand, then the victim is, well, *lucky* if that's *all* the mage does to them. An acanthus who can pull that off would scare me more for possibly sending me a year into the future, honestly.

Comment

Working...
                X