Time into Sponges Spell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time into Sponges Spell

A question for everyone who is interested! If an awakened mage were to use a Time four and Matter four spell to transform a chunk of time into an inorganic sponge, what would happen? What would the conequences be and how would you deal with it as an ST?

I would run it as creating some utterly random temporal anomaly, something thats different, odd and probably inconvieniant each time. For example, maybe the caster accidentally locks himself in stasis for a week, or his neighbours all find their gardens aged 6 months overnight.

Comment

In my opinion: nothing. This might be a way of getting around making spells for Matter, but that is pretty much it. If you transform time into matter, it is matter. Some time would be missing somewhere, which might have an intresting effect. It's totally possible to make some weird time consuming "spongelike" spell, but matter does not really add anything to it.

PS: I find it hard to wrap my head around making a resource out of time anyway, since it is more of a concept for me. This is highly debatable though.
      Last edited by HardcoreHannes; 04-26-2019, 07:34 AM.

Comment

"I literally turned your death into this amulet"

I'm not sure how this would work, but it feels like a thing that could happen.

Comment

One option is to say that the targets (individual, area, etc) you take the time from would be stuttered in time for the amount taken. Then use the Potency value, find its equivalent on the base Duration chart and say that is how much time that one sponge contains.

When the spell ends and the time sublimates back into the world, whoever or whatever was nearby would get the effect of base Acceleration with [Potency] and duration of how much dissolving time sponges they were exposed to. This cannot be turned off and would still cause Quiescence, but would be "fixed" by using Chrono's Curse to slow them back to normal until the effect ends.

So what is the draw ? Portable Acceleration without mana use, but it involves surrendering some control over it. Reach could be used the same way as Acceleration.
          Last edited by KaiserAfini; 04-26-2019, 10:11 AM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
            "I literally turned your death into this amulet"

I'm not sure how this would work, but it feels like a thing that could happen.
            Yeah, Pattering has a lot of edge cases that are odd to imagine, but should be doable.

One I have been trying to puzzle out is what happens when I turn a room into a blessing or hex, can it be used up ? Or what happens when a person turns themselves into fate, are they invisible? Can they pass through walls ? Can they ride Interconnections as a very weird alternative to teleporting ?

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

Comment

A lot of it is going to depend on the imago, like what does the Mage envision is happening? Then I'd follow the same rule I do for every spell, to keep the base effect as stupid simple as I can and it's supposed to get more wonky then add Reach to account for each additional level of complexity.

Comment

This reminds me of when Madam Fortuna in the Last Unicorn said she'd turn a harpie into seven notes of music (not that she could).

Its not even the same but, Arcadia *kinda* tries to follow Fae logic, so our sponge could follow similar roads.

Since time to a story is just events and causality, turning time into something else will depend on *what* time is your base ingredient.

First you choose past present or future.

For the past we'd take an event and basically hide it in the form of a sponge. "No one can know I was here, so I'll hide the truth where no one will look for it."

For the future, I have no idea! I guess if I transform my tomorrow into a sponge, then I have no tomorrow and skip to the next day? And when the spell ends, I get that missing day back, but only with the events and memories that were likely to happen at the time? That or you travel to the past and live that missing day.
                OR, that day simply never happened for you and yoh were just gone from the timeline for that day.
                The sponge holds no advantage here other than, again, to make sleuths wonder where the missing time is so they can restore it. Can't find the sponge? Then you can't stop the target from losing 1 year of their life!

The present... ehhh I give up here.Kaiser did such a good job already.

Comment

If you convert the Present of a subject to a sponge I imagine it would put the subject in temporal stasis. Which is similar to, but not the same, as losing time from having your future converted into a sponge.

Actually, you wouldn't be converting -the- future, you'd be converting a potential future. So, let's take Bob, Bob has two potential futures, one is to to go the bank, one is to go to the races. Going to the bank future gets converted into a sponge. Looks like Bob is going to the races.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                    If you convert the Present of a subject to a sponge I imagine it would put the subject in temporal stasis. Which is similar to, but not the same, as losing time from having your future converted into a sponge.

Actually, you wouldn't be converting -the- future, you'd be converting a potential future. So, let's take Bob, Bob has two potential futures, one is to to go the bank, one is to go to the races. Going to the bank future gets converted into a sponge. Looks like Bob is going to the races.
                    Totally agree here, but it does not really matter if you convert the future of the subject into a sponge or into a nice hat in my opinion. The important part is, that you turn it into something else to make it inaccessible.

Comment

Working...
                    X