Plasm vs. Ectoplasm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasm vs. Ectoplasm

Not sure if I should ask this in the Geist forums or here, but one of my players in my Mage game who was just playing a Sleepwalker is now one of the Bound. While learning the rules for Sin-eaters I discovered they have a power substance called Plasm. Anyone know how this relates to the Ectoplasm described in the Death Arcanum? Is it the same thing. If so that could get pretty crazy what with the Moros just being able to make it, but it doesn't sound exactly the same. Anyway, maybe someone who knows more about both games has more info?

(I don't have a solid answer for you, but just to add: Requiem also has/had two separate things called "ectoplasm", both used in necromancy. It's not clear if either has anything to do with the Mage or Geist version.)

Comment

Devs have said it's the same thing.

Genius templates: Super Science Mini-Template for Demon: the Descent

Oracle the Endbringers: Time-Manipulator Fan-Splat

Comment

Mechanically it seems like the intent is for a unique way to help ghosts manifest.

That being said, reading the description of plasm makes it sounds like they are all the same. In other words, processed Death ephemera residue. Its mere existence is sufficient to help a ghost manifest. But its resonance is too generic for them to use, but perfectly fine for a Geist. So in theory, Death 2 should let you produce it, Death 3 would let you produce it with the right resonance to replenish a ghost's Essence. However, I feel like I am missing something.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
          Devs have said it's the same thing.
          It sounds like Moros will get a lot of mileage from a ghost contact very early on, good thing ghosts are less Essence crazy than spirits. They are still bound and obsessed with their Anchors, so that is probably what balances it out.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
            Plasm also counts as Open for ghosts, so if one ghost possesses something and gets it covered it gunk then leaves, another ghost can have a go without building up the Conditions.

(The plasm in a Sin Eater is already being used. By their Geist.)

The two spells in mage that produce "ectoplasm" are, yes, making Plasm as in the Bound fuel trait. Mages are just sufficiently up themselves to not shorten the word.
            Source for the dev comment.

Edit:
            Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
            Its mere existence is sufficient to help a ghost manifest. But its resonance is too generic for them to use, but perfectly fine for a Geist. So in theory, Death 2 should let you produce it, Death 3 would let you produce it with the right resonance to replenish a ghost's Essence. However, I feel like I am missing something.
            What you're missing is that Plasm is a byproduct of Essence. Compare it to the heat energy that is the byproduct of electrical energy in most applications. It can be used for certain uses (in this case Manifestations) but not directly as electrical energy without transforming it back. That would require Patterning, and possibly Spirit at that if you take Essence being under the purview of Spirit to mean Essence manipulation to be exclusively a Spirit thing.
            Another way to transform Plasm to Essence fitting for a ghost would likely be a Rank 3+ Ghost Numen.
            Last edited by Tessie; 05-24-2019, 05:11 AM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

They're the same thing. Mage was written when Geist 2e was still a glint in Travis' eye, but yeah - the goop Death spells can make is the goop Bound can eat.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

They're the same thing. Mage was written when Geist 2e was still a glint in Travis' eye, but yeah - the goop Death spells can make is the goop Bound can eat.

Thanks for clearing that up. This is going to create an interesting relationship between the Moros and the Bound, but could be fun. I think it will definitely help to bring his power level up a little closer to the rest of the group.

Comment

Just to clarify, my understanding is that the Spirit arcana works for all Essence. So it can use Making to recharge goetia with Mind conjunctional and ghosts with Death. But can Death and Mind by themselves replicate the Essence creation and Shadow Scream like Essence destruction, but affecting only their specialized ephemeral being or is Spirit universally required?

So in this case, would a master of Death be able to resupply both a Geist and a ghost Familiar ?

Comment

Originally posted by Therian View Post

This is going to create an interesting relationship between the Moros and the Bound, but could be fun. I think it will definitely help to bring his power level up a little closer to the rest of the group.

Comment

Someone should send a note to Gentleman Gamer about this; it's something that should be considered for inclusion in the Contagion Chronicle Companion (along with how Aether interacts with Pyros, what connection exists between Essence and Glamour, and so on). Basically, look at the various fuel stats and Compare & Contrast them.

Comment

So in this case, would a master of Death be able to resupply both a Geist and a ghost Familiar ?
                        The Familiar, at least, can be resupplied through the basic mechanics of the Familiar Manifestation, but the stronger connection implied by Familiar and the Death Arcanum's truck with ectoplasm and one-size-fits-all Anchors suggests that, if Geist's mechanics for feeding ghosts Plasm transfers at all, the bulk of deathly Essence-shifting is going to be pretty gradual fare.

The bigger angle, I should think, is the fact that mages are living beings who are very well-equipped to uncover the person a geist used to be and have them remembered.

Resident Lore-Hound
                        Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                          Someone should send a note to Gentleman Gamer about this; it's something that should be considered for inclusion in the Contagion Chronicle Companion (along with how Aether interacts with Pyros, what connection exists between Essence and Glamour, and so on). Basically, look at the various fuel stats and Compare & Contrast them.
                          I would assume they already all discuss this sort of thing, but hey I could be wrong.

Now I’m just wondering how much usable plasm a spell like that produces. Should it convert into pontency=points or something like that?

Comment

Just to clarify, my understanding is that the Spirit arcana works for all Essence.
                            It doesn't, Essence is a generic term to describe the energy that fuels the various ephemeral entities. which are also statted up generically. The thing to take away from this is that the game gave us some keep it simple stupid mechanics to help us with statting up and running various ephemeral entities, not that all the entities actually run on the same energy supply.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                              It doesn't, Essence is a generic term to describe the energy that fuels the various ephemeral entities. which are also statted up generically. The thing to take away from this is that the game gave us some keep it simple stupid mechanics to help us with statting up and running various ephemeral entities, not that all the entities actually run on the same energy supply.
                              The odds of there being four different supernatural resources that run on memory and emotion and exist/are generated in greatest abundance in the material world are pretty low, all things considered. The fuel doesn't have to be different for some of its vessels to be inaccessible without more specialized abilities.

Resident Lore-Hound
                              Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Working...
                              X