Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on MtA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question on MtA

    Hi. Just checking into MtA since I really find the setting interesting. But I was wondering do mages have the ability to astral project ie leave their bodies and that kind of thing? Just morbid curiosity while I wait on my copy of the rulebook.

  • #2
    Originally posted by munkieboi View Post
    Hi. Just checking into MtA since I really find the setting interesting. But I was wondering do mages have the ability to astral project ie leave their bodies and that kind of thing? Just morbid curiosity while I wait on my copy of the rulebook.
    Yes, at Mind 3 they can use the spell to project into the Mind attuned frequency of Twilight. And every mage can meditate their way into their dreams, soul or the collective unconscious.


    New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.


    The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

    Comment


    • #3
      Cool. Thanks for the info. Already got a handful of ideas for scenarios for the game. That just makes some more viable.

      Comment


      • #4
        PDFs are quicker and cheaper if you don't hate them.

        If they're okay, I recommend grabbing the 1st edition book called Astral Realms. SO fun! So much astral projecting! Its relatively cheap in pdf form

        Comment


        • #5
          Yep, the Astral Realms are just the best thing ever. Easily my favourite part of Mage. There's so much stuff you can encounter, and the deeper you go, the weirder it gets.


          [Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
          [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
          [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
            PDFs are quicker and cheaper if you don't hate them.
            Not a fan of PDFs for main rulebooks. Just old fashioned that way. But other stuff np. Will check out astral realms you mentioned. Wierd stuff is always cool imo. I'm usually really good with wierd metaphysical psychedelic stuff. Thanks. Is there a list of mage published stuff I could look over to see what I want to add to my game anywhere?

            Comment


            • #7
              Also depending on what you actually want from astral projection, you just can use Spirit/Death magic to make yourself intangible, no need to leave a body lying around.


              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by munkieboi View Post

                Not a fan of PDFs for main rulebooks. Just old fashioned that way. But other stuff np. Will check out astral realms you mentioned. Wierd stuff is always cool imo. I'm usually really good with wierd metaphysical psychedelic stuff. Thanks. Is there a list of mage published stuff I could look over to see what I want to add to my game anywhere?
                What are you looking for? My bias is clear, I like critters. So I'd recommend Intruders, encounters with the abyss, as well as Summoners. Outside of Beast, the Astral is the only mage-specific phenomenon that can be easily encountered. (pending signs of sorcery, thats not out yet). So Astral Realms and the core will have you covered for awhile. Focus on your passions first Id say, and spread out as things become stale.

                But, when book recommendations come up you'll hear a lot of "Get the Seers book" and they're right if you're going to cover the Seers of the Throne or do Exarch stuff. The Seers book is almost paranoia inducing its so good.

                Also, avoid Imperial Mysteries for awhile, you might want it eventually but if you are new its going to be more fun to be blissfully unaware of what Archmages can do. Imperial Mysteries is great but it kinda deflates how the regular game feels if you read it too soon.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by munkieboi View Post
                  Is there a list of mage published stuff I could look over to see what I want to add to my game anywhere?
                  DrivethruRPG has them all. Even if you're not buying PDFs, it at least gives you a complete list.


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    DrivethruRPG has them all. Even if you're not buying PDFs, it at least gives you a complete list.
                    Perfect. Just want to know what's available and what it's about so I can add to my game as it grows and mutates as most of my games do. Don't want to just start grabbing random stuff that doesn't help at the time ya know? Thanks to Scarlet Witch for the direction. Seems like we're similar in tastes

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
                      Yes, at Mind 3 they can use the spell to project into the Mind attuned frequency of Twilight.
                      Just a quick correction, Psychic Projection is actually Mind 4.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Also, another technical correction, the Astral realms are something completely different in Mage than what most people understand as astral projection. As such, Mage doesn't HAVE astral projection, not as such. As others have stated you can achieve similar results, but the word Astral is reserved for the Astral Realms, since it's, you know, a Thing. For that reason alone I'd recommend getting the Astral realms book.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Falcon777 View Post
                          Also, another technical correction, the Astral realms are something completely different in Mage than what most people understand as astral projection. As such, Mage doesn't HAVE astral projection, not as such. As others have stated you can achieve similar results, but the word Astral is reserved for the Astral Realms, since it's, you know, a Thing. For that reason alone I'd recommend getting the Astral realms book.
                          Thanks for the clarification. I'll definitely put it on the top of my to get list. Just seems to me that astral projection and magic should go together. But I did read a lot of those time-life occult books as a kid...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Falcon777 View Post
                            Also, another technical correction, the Astral realms are something completely different in Mage than what most people understand as astral projection. As such, Mage doesn't HAVE astral projection, not as such. As others have stated you can achieve similar results, but the word Astral is reserved for the Astral Realms, since it's, you know, a Thing. For that reason alone I'd recommend getting the Astral realms book.
                            What do most people think of it as then? When I first read the book I was blown away by how "accurate" it was, or how much it fit to what I'd expected and hoped.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              There are a lot of additional ways to project your senses beyond simply leaving your body behind. There's the classic Scrying for instance, or you could perhaps cast an Unveiling Life spell on a bird to see what it sees as it flies around.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X