Question on MtA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
    There are a lot of additional ways to project your senses beyond simply leaving your body behind. There's the classic Scrying for instance, or you could perhaps cast an Unveiling Life spell on a bird to see what it sees as it flies around.
    That's what I think makes the setting so interesting. The many ways to skin the cat approach to accomplishing a lot of things. Astral projection I feel is a classic way to extend your senses to percieve things otherwise inpercivable. Similar to scrying it's a classic trope of genres with magic

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
      What do most people think of it as then? When I first read the book I was blown away by how "accurate" it was, or how much it fit to what I'd expected and hoped.
      It's a bit confusing. A lot of people use it to mean something like remote-viewing or out-of-body experiences, your soul or astral form floats around the world whilst your physical body stays where it is. I gather it's a meaning that comes from Theosophy as opposed to older ideas that involved the soul flying off into mystical realms.

That said, it seems more recent magician types tend to blend the two ideas together.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post

What do most people think of it as then? When I first read the book I was blown away by how "accurate" it was, or how much it fit to what I'd expected and hoped.
        Most people see Astral projection as moving your mind/soul out of yourself and floating around like a ghost (intangible, possibly visible (though not always), not necessarily anchored, able to view the material world with no difficulty, move through walls, etc). Think of what the Ancient one did to Banner Hulk in Endgame. The Astral Realms aren't like that at all. Not really.

Comment

Psychic Projection (Mind 4) for the out-of-body interpretation, and the Astral Realms for the spiritual journey/visiting mystical realms interpretation. I think all bases are covered.

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Watch the Doctor Strange movie, the parts where he and others are travelling about unseen, passing through walls and fighting it out, are an example of Twilight Projection.
            The part where the Ancient sends him flying through realms of hands and Dommoro, that is Astral Space.

Comment

Working...
            X