Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
    Unrelated:

...can Awaken Ephemera cause an Angel to Fall?
    Can Awaken Ephemera be used on Hedge Ghosts or Temple Guardians or Abyssal Entities or Lower Realm Entities.

Speaking of which which Arcana would one use on Lower Realms creatures who manifest thanks to a filled up Antihollow?

Comment

Wow - Imposing Nimbus is exactly what I need to make one of my more recent characters - one that took Potent Nimbus and Potent Resonance - actually feel like a complete fantasy and concept.

There are so many amazing tools here. I wouldn't say the book is as redefining for Mage as the BPG was for Beast, but damn if it isn't close.
      Last edited by lnodiv; 06-19-2019, 09:50 PM.

Comment

1) The Visions of Truth section has fleshed out the stuff from the early 2e previews in exactly the way I wanted. I was really missing that from the released corebook. And then the Aedes to reinforce it is great.
        2) Kate Griffin quote to lead chapter two? Woo.

I read slow.

I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
        An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
        Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

Comment

This is a really good book. Everyone who worked on it should be proud. It's got a ton of useful and pertinent info that's all handled with great creativity and thought.

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
          Did you mean Sycorax as in the character in Shakespeare's The Tempest ? I don't see a connection to the Ministry's goals.
          If I was going with Sycorax, I got two ways to go. Pushing mysticism as a feminine pursuit, or finding fallen sleepers with magic capabilities and encouraging them with the Raptor spiel. 'You're gifted, a god among nulls and flatscans.' The Magneto way.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
            If I was going with Sycorax, I got two ways to go. Pushing mysticism as a feminine pursuit, or finding fallen sleepers with magic capabilities and encouraging them with the Raptor spiel. 'You're gifted, a god among nulls and flatscans.' The Magneto way.
            My own two cents is a version of this. Going by Wikipedia, Sycorax is the long-dead mother of Caliban, and is...really not a person. She exists as a justification for Caliban to think the island belongs to him, and is repeatedly said to have been rapacious where Prospero was kind. I can see the Ministry as viewing themselves as inheritors of Prospero, ensuring that everyone knows their "instinctual role" - which is to say, they police gender identity a lot. I can see them being masters of using toxic masculinity as a tool of the Lie, warding others away from the Supernal with things like "confronting your own emotions and chasing less material wealth is unmanly", and "a woman who doesn't want to sacrifice her agency to a family life is evil." They want Sleepers to believe that the quality of mate you have is the only measure of worth - as well as there being a thing called "quality of mate." Hence, Sycorax; the evil woman who fundamentally lacks all agency, she being little more than a bit of Prospero and Caliban's backstory and never even appearing in the play. One of their current operations is running incel communities and introducing the idea of celibacy as a source of mystic power - and in so doing, nudge some deeply miserable men into Awakening, becoming new mages who already believe in all the things the Sycorax do, and can be recruited with the promise of easy access to Chad-dom.

Yeah, I'm a person who hangs around liberal enclaves a lot, but knowing how outright cultlike a lot of the manosphere is, discovering an evil cabal of wizards puppeteering them to make the world a more miserable place would make all too much sense. Almost a relief, to be honest.
            Last edited by Leliel; 06-20-2019, 08:56 AM.

Comment

So now we both have souls as sacraments from the core book and Reaping Relinquishment here, but I still fail to see a description on how to destroy a soul. Have I missed it somewhere?

Bloodline: The Stygians
              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Does the Watcher for the Watcher Supernal Merit get a Boon?

Comment

How would souls be able to "escape as normal" from a Haunted Grimoire when souls have no traits and thus no CoW dice pool? Also, why would you do it in the first place when souls have no Rank to add to the primary factor?

Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Most of the book is really good, but the obligations section is off. A single mana per week is not worth that level of sacrifice. Mages might not be as fuel stat rich as Changelings, but mana isn't so hard to come by to make that worth it. And the Obligation of Assumption is a disaster. I mean they basically warn players away from it in the book itself so why is it there? What does it add to the game except alienating all kinds of people from across the political spectrum and making your table uncomfortable? I'd suggest avoiding it all together, but so does Signs of Sorcery.

The rest of the book is great. Could have used more examples.

I'm wondering if your Watcher can be an low rank Orchemata?

I could see a whole book of Verges and Emmination Realms being popular.

Comment

I think it was suggested in Imperial Mysteries that the Watchtowers could be Talismans of the Oracles, which is another type of soul sheath given form.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post
                        I will say that if you want to invoke the Exarchs themselves as antagonists, you need this book. One Environmental Tilt, Iron Seal, does more to show the influence of a Tyrant than anything in 2E (it's literally a place where one of the Exarchs is directly paying attention to, manifesting in the form of High Speech runes that describe his marching orders and desires for this area; unraveling the Mystery of what's being said allows you to understand what she wants, but he becomes aware of you; it's a good way to pick up the Exarchal Dreams Condition, as she studies you from your Onerios in preparation to attempt to execute or covert you... and unraveling the Mystery to defy his will is also one of the only ways to evict her door from your dreams).
                        I had the whole "Eye of Sauron notices you" vibe from the Full Understanding effect of the Iron Seals.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
                          Most of the book is really good, but the obligations section is off. A single mana per week is not worth that level of sacrifice. Mages might not be as fuel stat rich as Changelings, but mana isn't so hard to come by to make that worth it.
                          The rest of the means of getting Mana involve, for the record:

1) drawing from magical real estate that produces a drip feed of it in a way that takes an hour without a spell of middling difficulty and is often under heavy political pressure as a valuable resource
                          2) consuming the solidified byproducts of the aforementioned magical real estate if they happen to be normally edible or using the above spell if they aren't
                          3) taking resistant lethal damage or lowering one of your Physical Attributes for a day to an absolute maximum of four times per day if you're the biggest possible wizard
                          4) fulfilling a magically-oriented long-term Aspiration
                          5) getting particularly lucky on a spellcasting roll and forgoing the other benefits that can get you
                          6) or engaging in blood sacrifice!

Mana isn't hyper-scarce, but "keep up a self-imposed challenge for a week and you get a point for free" is within spec considering that the closest comparable method requires you to alter your soul to do the first thing with a type of ritualistic behavior substituted for visits to a remote location, particularly given that breaking an Obligation offers its own rewards.
                          Last edited by Satchel; 06-21-2019, 01:46 AM.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                          Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Personally, I think that if it was changed in errata to a point per *day*, it would be worth it. Not super powerful, you are likely to get other Mana points that day (seriously, most middling level mages have Legacy Oblations and get about 3 Mana per day from them), but the persistent restriction you are under would net you an additional point.

You take on an Obligation, after a week it activates and starts to give you one Mana per day. You get more Mana that way and can only break the Obligation much less often (at least after a week). Seems more reasonable.
                            Last edited by Prometheus; 06-21-2019, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Yeah, it’s staying one per week.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

You can stack multiple obligations, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X