Too much Tass/Mana

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    It's not stated specifically, but when the spell says it allows the mage to move Mana between vessels and then lists a bunch of example vessels that are all things with stated limits to how much Mana they can hold, that's a pretty clear implication.

What's the story there? Rooftop park with a recurrent history of violent confrontation? Master Obrimos pet-project? Spiritual oddity?

Yeah that makes a lot of sense and with the addition of the mana batteries in Signs it seems pretty clear.

So I originally used the Nightmare at Hill Manor scenario to kick off our chronicle before the characters awakened. If you are familiar with it, basically the hallow formed after the destruction of an Artifact pocketwatch on the apartment building roof which flooded the area with Supernal energy, also leaving a mysterious Iris. The rage comes from all the built up anger the ghosts that were trapped there had. All part of a Mystery about how the characters awakened and why everyone on the top 3 floors is a Sleepwalker now.

Comment

Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
      Kind of.

Signs of Sorcery specifically states the need to Imbue items in order to use them as Mana batteries. Outside of that (very very recent, and very clear) callout, previous evidence is limited to the fact that nothing in the books says you can channel Mana into normal, mundane objects. Every specific example the Channel Mana ability gives is something that has a predefined capacity for Mana.

If you allow it, you can easily end up in farcical situations where you can channel infinite mana into a rock, because it's capacity is never defined, but only limited Mana into Artifacts which actually have a defined capacity, despite the fact that the former is a rock and the latter is a fragment of the Supernal.

Yeah that could get pretty silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
        Reiterating an earlier question because I realize my phrasing was imperfect: How often are your players spending Mana in the the first place? Are they Reaching often, improvising outside their Paths and Legacies, engaging in accelerated Scrutiny, et cetera? Are they using the tass for its Persona bonus?

Some of them are using a fair amount of Mana in play, the others not as much. The one who uses it the most is also the one that came up with the stockpiling scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by saibot View Post

This may be ever-so-slightly off-topic, but I think the last sentence is the real issue. I would not allow players to just stockpile tass during downtime without a cost. In any Chronicle with major downtimes that would get ridiculous really fast.
          I assume that even during an extended downtime the characters are active in some way, following their Obsessions, doing other magical research, entering the Astral for quick sojourns, having small chats with their Daimons or minor Supernal entities, casting the occasional spell requiring Paradox mitigation (which during downtime probably means splurging them down to Chance Dice) and maybe doing some low-key trading with other individuals or tithing some tass to their Order as part of their membership. All these events are perhaps less important and relevant than those happening during playtime, but I still assume they happen. If a player seriously suggest that their character is inactive during downtime, I could see allowing them to hoard tass but then maybe requiring them to pay Beats for it (representing the time they rather spent watching reruns of their favourite TV shows all day instead of deepening their Gnosis or mundane abilities).

Actually aside from the discussed storage situation, this is the other half of the issue. I'm trying to come up with some system to determine how much mana would be used during the downtime.

Comment

Originally posted by Therian View Post

Actually aside from the discussed storage situation, this is the other half of the issue. I'm trying to come up with some system to determine how much mana would be used during the downtime.
            Why not simply say everyone comes out of a downtime with full Mana capacity and the Hollow is charged with tass up to its regular maximum capacity? Never more, never less. Done.

Politeness is the lubricant of social intercourse.

Comment

Originally posted by saibot View Post

Why not simply say everyone comes out of a downtime with full Mana capacity and the Hollow is charged with tass up to its regular maximum capacity? Never more, never less. Done.

Seems reasonable but I'll probably have to hash it out with my players.

Comment

I haven't gotten past the introduction of Signs yet due to work, but, before it was released, the way I solved this exacr problem is politics.

I had the Consilium harass the player for their stockpiled tass and how much they need it and the player agreed to sell their excess tass for cash. Not an immense amount but the player owed the Consilium a debt so, the player themselves thought it was a good trade. Meanwhile the character was pretty alarmed by all the constant clamours for "hey can you sell this tass please?"

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
                  I haven't gotten past the introduction of Signs yet due to work, but, before it was released, the way I solved this exacr problem is politics.

I had the Consilium harass the player for their stockpiled tass and how much they need it and the player agreed to sell their excess tass for cash. Not an immense amount but the player owed the Consilium a debt so, the player themselves thought it was a good trade. Meanwhile the character was pretty alarmed by all the constant clamours for "hey can you sell this tass please?"
                  Have you tried also selling them for boons ? The more tass delivered at once, the bigger the boon. If the Lictor logs this formally, its a nice way to mechanically reward the cabal for being very cost efficient with their mana. This can create a political bulwark or debt system that suddenly makes favoring the cabal in the debtor's best interest (discharging boons, keeping a reasonable supplier of tass, etc).

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

Comment

Working...
                  X