Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Signs of Sorcery tie together Mage 2nd nicely?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Signs of Sorcery tie together Mage 2nd nicely?

I liked mage 2nd edition, but I found it was missing some things. I found that the antagonist section was really thin compared to the other games. What I like about Signs of Sorcery is that the Exarchs and their influence is much more fleshed out. Would anyone agree that Signs of Sorcery is what Mage fans needed to bring Mage 2nd edition together?

Absolutely. It fleshes out Mysteries (and not just mechanically) in ways the corebook didn't really have the space for. The question of "What do Mages actually do?" has a much clearer and much more specific answer now.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
    [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
    [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

I haven't read through the entire thing yet but so far it is really fleshing the game out. I don't know if it solved the antagonist issue, but I expect Nameless and Accursed will get that covered. Although that's probably a ways off.

Comment

Originally posted by Therian View Post
        I haven't read through the entire thing yet but so far it is really fleshing the game out. I don't know if it solved the antagonist issue, but I expect Nameless and Accursed will get that covered. Although that's probably a ways off.
        It's apparently as far along as Signs of Sorcery was in January, so maybe not that far off.

Comment

I haven't finished it, but I'd say yeah. It elaborates on rules and stuff (Awakenings, Mage Sight) for things that rules weren't clear enough for (Imbued items gets its own pages, as well as a bunch expanding it).

I'm not sure if it was done because the Seers are more playable now, but there's more stuff for them. And this can offer player Seers more, but also allows the ST of a more standard mage game more options for Seer antagonists. There's also some expansion on things like ochemata and temple guardians, and supernal entities and cryptids, so you don't need everything to be mage versus mage (you can even have non-mage supernaturals in Exarchic cults). And the Supernal-oriented places mages find themselves drawn to get write ups as well. It's all good.

As much as I liked some of the early first edition's books, I thought they beat around the bush a lot, or spent three paragraphs to get something one sentence could get across. Signs of Sorcery is a very tight book, and while there's a good amount of setting material, it's all so relevant I don't think you could justify calling any of it 'fluff.' Even the fiction (really good) depicts common mage issues with engaging prose.

Presumably the upcoming books are going to be similarly focused, and the Night Horrors one will have an abundance of antagonists, while the Fallen Worlds one places to explore and interactions.
          Last edited by nofather; 06-21-2019, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Anti-Hallows that drain Mana as it is used, then become Irises to Lower Depths... pretty baller.

Comment

Working...
            X