The Other Five Annulities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Other Five Annulities

I'm planning on using this in my Other Five Paths project (which means I eventually intend to publish it in STV); but the subject is more broadly applicable, so I'm addressing it here.

The new book signs of sorcery that's something called Annulities. These are like Demesnes, except that they nullify the effects of an Interior Arcanum instead of amplifying the effects of the Ruling Arcana. Because there are only five Paths and each only has one Inferior Arcanum, nothing is said about what Annulities for Fate, Life, Prime, Space, or Time would be like. For comparison, the five Annulities we're given are Forces (no Environmental Tilts), Matter (reduced Durability), Spirit (opposed Resonant Conditions), Death (death-aspects creatures such as ghosts and vampires have a darker time acting), and Mind (no Willpower expenditures, and no mundane dreams).

My first started at this is that Space and Time would prevent Sympathetic effects of the appropriate type: for Time, you can't reach into the future or past, memories fade (think of the Wood Between Worlds from C.S.Lewis' The Magician's Nephew), and nothing ages; for Space, you must physically touch the subject to affect him.

I'm figuring that a Life Annulity works like the Death Annulity, but for the living. Not sure what to do with respect to Fate or Prime Annulities, though.

It seems to me more like annulities suppress the mundane manifestations of the arcanrum, not the magical ones.

So space would degrade, like, actual space somehow. And time would put things in stasis or something?

Prime annulities would basically be the Ansho from the storytelling chapter. Y'know, those magical dead zones in tokyo?

Comment

Actually, Annulities have been around since 1st edition. They appear in Tome of the Mysteries and even show up in DaveB's Broken Diamond AP (Malakaii's sanctum specifically). Instead of magnifying the strength of the Path, it amplifies the realm's weakening influence on the Inferior Arcanum.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
        It seems to me more like annulities suppress the mundane manifestations of the arcanrum, not the magical ones.

So space would degrade, like, actual space somehow. And time would put things in stasis or something?

Prime annulities would basically be the Ansho from the storytelling chapter. Y'know, those magical dead zones in tokyo?
        The existing Annulities aren't that extreme: they degrade rather than eliminate. In particular, they don't remove the ability to act; they just place some restrictions and penalties on you when you do. So maybe Space doubles range penalties? I think Time as I outlined it in my first post works out fairly well: no aging (or maturing; a kid will remain a kid for as long as she remains in such an Annulity), but also no (long-term) memories: if it didn't happen in the current scene, you don't remember it.

Rather than a flat-out magic dead zone for a Prime Annulity, what about just a penalty on rolls for supernatural phenomena?

And that still leaves Fate.

Comment

Fate could remove exceptional successes and failures.

Prime could give a bonus to stealth, manipulation and other rolls to hide the truth. Under mage sight it randomly gives objects (even mundane ones) a fake Abyssal Nimbus.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
            Fate could remove exceptional successes and failures.
            Nice!

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
            Prime could give a bonus to stealth, manipulation and other rolls to hide the truth. Under mage sight it randomly gives objects (even mundane ones) a fake Abyssal Nimbus.
            In other words, you're going with “Prime is Truth, so degraded Prime is degraded Truth”. It's definitely an interesting take; though I'm not sold on it.

Comment

Yeah, it should be something simple and elegant. But prime doesn't have much mundane effects by itself.

Some ideas that came to mind:

• Having it isolate the area from ley lines, they just flow around it.
              • Spells using yantras lose 10-again
              • Imbued items cost an extra mana to activate, Artifacts are unaffected
              • Recording devices break if they witness/record anything supernatural

Comment

The other five annulities are actually in Nameless & Accursed, for Mysterious reasons I won't mention yet.

Meghan Fitzgerald | Onyx Path freelance writer & developer
                Changeling: The Lost 2e developer

Comment

Originally posted by Meghan Fitzgerald View Post
                  The other five annulities are actually in Nameless & Accursed, for Mysterious reasons I won't mention yet.
                  Oooooooooooooh

Comment

Originally posted by Meghan Fitzgerald View Post
                    I suspect it has to do with signataries of the Abyssal ziggurats. After all, the Scelesti Legacy held they title of The Accursed in 1st edition. As far as I know the Dur-Abzu were never expanded upon.

Color me intrigued, I will keep an eye out for any news or previews.

Comment

If the ziggurats have different Inferior Arcana than their corresponding Watchtowers, I wonder how they'll be distributed. The inversion of the Acanthus might replace Forces with Prime, the Thyrsus inversion might get Space instead of Mind, I can definitely see the Moros inversion replacing Spirit with Life; but which of the Mastigos and Obrimos inversions would get Fate, and which would get Time? Or maybe it's more scrambled than that.

Anyway, I'm putting this on hold: unless and until the other five Annulities turn out to be poison pills (“they come from the ziggurats, and so are badwrong”), I'll just assume that my Other Five Paths will be using the same Annulities. If they do turn it to be badwrong, then I'll have to come up with five new not badwrong Annulities, and fine new badwrong Annulities corresponding with the five existing Annulities. But that's a bridge to cross once Nameless & Accursed comes out.

Comment

Working...
                      X