Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conceptual relationship, is it Sympahty? If not what can it be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conceptual relationship, is it Sympahty? If not what can it be?

Reading through the Question thread I fall upon the following:
    Do memories have sympathetic ties to their subjects?
    Like if a guy had a memory of a small town in Connecticut,
    or a chick had a fond memory of a music box their friend once owned.
    Do these memories hold ties to their subjects, or is it just the owners of these memories that have the ties?
    To which the answer was
    Memories granting sympathetic connections to anyone but the person that created them would have setting-changing effects.
    You might be able to turn them into a Sympathetic Representation Yantra, but you'd need to have them out of your head to do so, and you would still need Sympathy to the subject you want to effect. Other than that, no, because those are the memories of the person who created them, no one else's, and under normal circumstances no one else even has access to them.
    I thought that since Sympathy can connect stuff through Conceptual Relationship (lines/threads connecting them through Space), it might be able to connect them through Mind (lines/threads connecting things through memories, then through Oneiros, then through the various layers of the Astral). I can accept that since, say, Abraham Lincoln has/had a different version in life, as ghost, my memory, my Oneiros and the "idea of Lincoln" in the Temenos, it must mean that they are all different "entities".

But shouldn't they have some metaphysical connection (setting-wise) since they are related? If not Space, what kind of Supernal Magic (besides Legacies) would be able to reveal to me for example "All stuff related to Lincoln"?

I guess it depends entirely on the medium. Within a computer? Forces. Within a book or someone's head? Mind. Spirits related to him? You get the gist.

But abstractly? Metaphysically? It may be nothing could do that. There are gaps within the arcana and the practices. They're not infallible. They can do almost anything, but not everything.

I'd be interested to see the feedback of others though, some of the people here have some pretty nifty ideas and understanding in regards to magic.
    Last edited by RobinCoyote; 06-24-2019, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Sympathy would be the mechanism by which all variations of Lincoln are associated, but that doesn’t mean that the connections would be powerful enough to be of use in magic as more than a Representation Yantra.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowjim12 View Post
        But shouldn't they have some metaphysical connection (setting-wise) since they are related? If not Space, what kind of Supernal Magic (besides Legacies) would be able to reveal to me for example "All stuff related to Lincoln"?
        Fate.

It's still sympathy enough for it to work as Sympathetic Yantras (which is a Space thing) but with only symbolism to go on only Fate would be able to do anything, and mostly you point you in the direction of things you want based on this symbolism (so Fate mostly just does what it could already do).
        Also, the symbolic connections might make it easier to pass from "related" Astral realms representing the subjects.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
        X