No announcement yet.

Focused Sight Breaking Down At Mid Gnosis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually I consider that a *looot* of information for a minute of the Mage's time, but that's actually a good "buildng mysteries at a glance" reference so thanks a lot!

Comment

That is a lot of information (though I was also quite liberal in this case, imo) but you never found out the following:
      • The two entities are purposefully hiding and are even hostile to anyone who looks for them due to a clause in the bargain.
      • Said bargain was created by a Supernal entity with Fate.
      • The summoner of the Supernal entity is a friendly but somewhat kooky libertine who has lived in the area for quite some time.
      • That the friendly, old libertine used his old Cabal to mediate between the two entities to put this whole thing together
      • That the libertine subsequently murdered his Cabal (as well as the Supernal entity) and tidied up the corpses to make sure no one else knew about any of it.
      • That the whole thing is just a crazy and misguided experiment by an old, paranoid and Left-handed fool who is obsessing over the idea of merging a piece of the material with a piece of the Astral to see what happens.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
        That is a lot of information (though I was also quite liberal in this case, imo) but you never found out the following:
        Note from Signs: "remember that Deep Information represents the total understanding of the Mystery; it’s no fair introducing a surprise twist in a Mystery that’s been fully Scrutinized. It is fair to hide Deep Information behind a Clash of Wills (as described in the Path to Jerusalem spell on p. 28), but not to withhold information outright".

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Comment

Well I kinda feel that this buys in the the same principle that it is boring to have the PCs stand still and looking at a Mystery for 10 seconds and then go "aha" and they get it solved after just three-four turns.
          I tend to do it this way, and i think it's more or less an official way from SoS but can't be bothered to look now, that for more interesting, and well plot related mysteries, with a bit higher Opacity then say 1-3 you need to start looking into other aspects of the Mystery. Say you bring an Oppacity down to 3 from 5 in a few turns, after that you need to go get another linked Mystery or an other instance of the Mystery, because you have learn everything you can learn and solve from it looking at it from this angle. You need a new angle, that can help you to find a missing piece of the puzzle.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
            My issue with my own thought of this is, "Okay but how would Touscan and L.A. remain such absolute Mysteries to even the Mages who live there?"
            It cant be politics everytime cuz if there is a handful of high ranking Mages who have scrutinized it, and are keeping the answer of "whats going on" to themselves, that kinda common conspiracy would get kinda old.

Basically I just feel that there needs to be extremely difficult Mysteries in the world to justify extremely powerful Mages Obsessions.
            Firstly: "Mystery" is Mage's word for "manifestation of the supernatural" before any supposition of impermeable secrecy in the knowledge understanding it confers. They're not "solved," and even if they were that doesn't reduce their value as a source of supernatural power and further study for interactions with other phenomena.

Secondly: The two examples you're describing are complex and obscure phenomena that don't run on a predictable timetable and are granulated far enough that knowing one piece's relation to the bigger picture — or even knowing where to start the process of Scrutinizing the big picture — is almost certainly running on a more involved variant of Opacity than a straight unimpeded roll down to 0.

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
            Note from Signs: "remember that Deep Information represents the total understanding of the Mystery; it’s no fair introducing a surprise twist in a Mystery that’s been fully Scrutinized. It is fair to hide Deep Information behind a Clash of Wills (as described in the Path to Jerusalem spell on p. 28), but not to withhold information outright".
            Same page provides the full understanding of an example Mystery as literally just "this is the basic explanation of what this is, and further details are extra Mysteries to be detailed later." Revealing a fully-Scrutinized Mystery tells you what it is, what it does and how, what supernatural elements created it and where they came from, whether it's related to something you've already Scrutinized, and a smattering of similar details about this specific manifestation of the supernatural. As Tessie points out, motive is frequently a massive blind spot in the information provided by Focused Mage Sight.

Resident Lore-Hound
            Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
              Yet, I did reveal all the relevant information according to the examples given. The twist isn't in the Mystery itself, it's in the story behind the Mystery. The libertine had left no mystical fingerprints anywhere because, despite him being the underlying cause and spending a lot of time near the Mystery, he wasn't a part of the effects that were Scrutinized.
              The only things I would change based on that quote in Signs would be that I'd give more information about the Supernal entity, such as what Path, type, comparable Rank (5), and what type of power used in sealing the bargain (a Boon), and the effects of all these walkers possessing people (more Essence generated for both goetia and spirits due to more stereotypical behaviour) so that they do get all information about what makes the whole Mystery tick. Anything else I "withheld" was the history leading up to the Mystery, but not part of the Mystery itself (and even if it were, it'd be way beyond the examples given).

Bloodline: The Stygians
              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Actually can someonw delete this post instead? I found a better solution
                Last edited by Scarlet Witch; 06-27-2019, 09:48 PM. Reason: a great weight hath been lifted

Comment

Can we make a setting in which the Free Council goes "spoiling" Mysteries to the Diamond and Seers in order to negate their apprentices their arcane experiences? How about a Legacy for this? Let's call 'em Tweeters.

Comment

Working...
                  X