X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Menace
    started a topic Death related mysteries

Death related mysteries

So I'm going to run a chronicle it seems. The main mystery is going to be the thinning barrier between the Underworld and normal reality. So ghosts, people comming back to live or just not dying when they should become more and more common. Since the chronicle is at least partially gonna be "monster of the week" style I'm looking for interesting smaller mysteries that could arise from the situation. Any ideas?

• thenate
    replied
    A subtle one would be survival rates are just too high in one region. Perhaps balanced by another's drop. The difference could be statistically insignificant yet be very real.

This could be the set-up for something else going wrong, too, as a sort of pressure between the sites builds up. Perhaps all graveyard gates between the sites suddenly begin unlocking any time someone dies. Perhaps something abyssal or from the depths sneaks in while reality is being strained.

Leave a comment:

• 2ptTakrill
    replied
    How about Ghosts re-enacting events that never happened? Sort of "What-Ifs".

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    More specifically, anyone going through a near death experience has a chance of generating a ghost of themselves despite surviving. I think it's rarer than ghosts appearing when people die (which happens far from 100% of the time) but it might just be that NDEs are that rare.
    While ghosts does have a connection to the human soul (more specifically the Integrity trait, as evidenced by a human's Integrity changing the odds of leaving a ghost and determining the ghost's starting Rank, as well as Breaking Points being what can create animal ghosts), they're actually mostly just psychic echoes of people. It's almost surprising that they're so firmly embedded in the Death Arcanum instead of Mind.

Leave a comment:

• Minty
    replied
    Originally posted by 2ptTakrill View Post
    A small Mystery idea:
    The Cabal stumbles upon an automobile accident that resulted in multiple fatalities, perhaps by seeing a picture of the scene or being present and having their Peripheral Mage Sight ping. Further investigation discovers three things:
    1- The exact same accident has occurred at that spot several times over the years, possibly even giving birth to an urban legend.
    2- At the site in Twilight the ghosts of those who died there re-enact the accident with the participants frequently changing to reflect the different, identical events.
    3- As they study the re-enactments they discover that some of the ghosts participating are of people who supposedly survived.

The questions are what is causing these repetitive events and who or what walked away from the scene if the real people left ghosts behind?
    Living people leave behind ghosts frequently enough that there's a name for it, Doppelgängers.

Leave a comment:

• 2ptTakrill
    replied
    A small Mystery idea:
    The Cabal stumbles upon an automobile accident that resulted in multiple fatalities, perhaps by seeing a picture of the scene or being present and having their Peripheral Mage Sight ping. Further investigation discovers three things:
    1- The exact same accident has occurred at that spot several times over the years, possibly even giving birth to an urban legend.
    2- At the site in Twilight the ghosts of those who died there re-enact the accident with the participants frequently changing to reflect the different, identical events.
    3- As they study the re-enactments they discover that some of the ghosts participating are of people who supposedly survived.

The questions are what is causing these repetitive events and who or what walked away from the scene if the real people left ghosts behind?

Leave a comment:

• Menace
    replied
    Thanks, I haven't decided on the cause yet. Got one idea but I'm waiting for my players to finish their characters before I decide on anything concrete, though I have one idea. I also thinking about it having several cause that just happened at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Originally posted by Menace View Post
    So I'm going to run a chronicle it seems. The main mystery is going to be the thinning barrier between the Underworld and normal reality. So ghosts, people comming back to live or just not dying when they should become more and more common. Since the chronicle is at least partially gonna be "monster of the week" style I'm looking for interesting smaller mysteries that could arise from the situation. Any ideas?
    Might I ask what causes the Mystery in the first place? Knowing that can lead to new ideas that'll set the players looking in the right direction. Alternatively, if you're working effect first and haven't come up with a cause yet, you might get a few ideas about that as well.

Is it tied into, or perhaps a reversal of, the plot hook from Sundered World that the Ocean of Fragments is slowly descending? Don't know if you've read the Sundered World, but the Underworld back then is described as an enormous cavernous ocean with islands jutting out from it, and before that not even any islands; a quite stark contrast to the deep tunnel system with Rivers that far, far down ends up in the Ocean of Fragments at the bottom of the modern Underworld.
    If connected to the thinning of the border between Underworld and material, it might be that the cavernous systems above the Ocean grew up rather than the Ocean descending; the reason for which being that either Chthonic Gods/Deathlords or the Underworld itself is trying to reshape itself so that it becomes more and more like the material until it can overlap and permanently connect without having any closed Avernian Gates in the way.

A smaller idea: Graveyard Gates being created at any places marked by death, not only those marked by mass deaths or burials. That alley someone got murdered in? Now hitting the cobblestones that the blood fell on in the correct order will open the Avernian Gate that formed that night.
    Later on it might be that deaths not only creates Avernian Gates on their own; they are also created in an open state that allows material beings to fall down (or immaterial beings to rise up).

A Mystery you can reuse from out Vampire game: An Avernian Gate is formed at the bottom of a well. Instead of leading to the Autochthonuous Depths it leads to a River. The water of the well is actually mixed with River water, and as long as it is in contact with the Gate it'll still have some properties of the River itself. If taken from the well it quickly loses power, though. (In our game this was an open well in India and the cause was mortal necromancers carrying out some sort of mass sacrifice in olden times to keep supplying their village with water. The effect of drinking directly from the well was being able to see and interact with anything in ghost-aligned Twilight. Going through it we ended up in a lake where multiple Rivers converged. Metaphysicslly speaking the well was "below" Underworld level, hence why River water could remain in the material without dissipating.)

Leave a comment:

• espritdecalmar
    replied
    Ghostly phenomena is often attached to that which carries strong emotional resonance, but in the affected area, everything destroyed produces an ethereal echo. The plate of spaghetti marinara you eat for dinner manifests immediately a ghost of the dish in Twilight, the simple fright elicited from a horror movie gives rise to a Doppelganger, etc. This is great for the dead in need of fresh Essence, but the Barghests of all those fruit flies are starting to become a nuisance. . . .

Leave a comment:

• elzopilote
    replied
    Kerberos laws being enforced and in effect from 12:00 to the first crow of roosters in the dawn.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet Witch
    replied
    My pitch is ghost battles repeating in greater frequency and threatening the Veil as you progress from tier 1 to tier 2, assuming it leaves the local area

Leave a comment:

• KaiserAfini
    replied
    He is old, he is cranky and his cane is the ultimate enemy of every knee. This old man suddenly showed up in town, offering a bounty for anyone who will help him depose some mad usurpers of the Underworld. Still, these expeditions might be worthwhile, his knowledge of the Mysteries of Death is beyond even the more accomplished masters.

Observation: He is Hraf-Haf from Egyptian mythology, he wants to depose the Judges of Duat and place the Promethean Osiris in their place.
    Last edited by KaiserAfini; 07-05-2019, 04:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Neos01
    replied
    I created some time ago a secret society of people with an hereditary supernatural merit, every winter solstice they used a stygian artifact (some of them learned the merit needed) to summon a powerful ghost from an avernian gateway.
    In a sort of ritual they crowned a stranger as a king, then they offer him and a cup of wine to the ghost, who in exchange offered a bag of strange silver coins

Leave a comment:

• Menace
    replied
    I prefer to keep the setting as is but don't mind questioning things in the setting if it allows me to realize the idea I want. There's lot of stuff like that in the setting already so why not more. Another option is having them be ghosts that automaticallly posess their own corpses when they die or something similar.

And I don't have geist sadly.
    Last edited by Menace; 07-05-2019, 05:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Do you have the second edition of Geist: The Sin-Eaters? It can be mined for a lot of information and inspiration. Especially Chthonians, Reapers, Geists, Rivers, Kerberoi and Chthonic Gods.
    A later stage of the "thinning" between the worlds could be Kerberoi setting up Dead Dominions in the material near Avernian Gates because it's just so much Underworldly. Before that you can have Chthonians not suffering massive Essence bleed in the material, causing a lot of mayhem.

How much do you care about keeping to the "official" setting? People not dying doesn't really tie into the Underworld as described (primarily in Geist, but Mage is written with most or all of those assumptions in mind). It's a great plot hook, but it would have to tie the Underworld much closer to mortality rather than just ghosts (who themselves are incidentally caused by mortality rather than being the next step in any given human's existence).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X