Sodality of the Tor 2e conversion brainstorm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sodality of the Tor 2e conversion brainstorm

Has anyone made an attempt at converting the Sodality of the Tor attainments to 2e?
    Due to the changes to mage sight as an attainment, porting it over as the first attainment is a no-go, given that it now requires Prime 4 to give mage sight to non-awakened.

The third attainment also has Time 4 as an optional component, which just comes out of nowhere. There isn't anything forbidding it outright, except the "almost always a ruling arcanum from the legacy's path"

Stuff i've spitballed so far
    Fate primary /Prime secondary
    - fate = direct conversion
    - prime as ruling arcanum: the legacy is centered around a hallow, sacred geometry, stealing fire, apocalypse and create truth might fit
    - breaks the 'ruling arcanum' rule.

Prime/Life
    -same rationale as above for prime
    - Life to cover the transformation. though other than Transform life, i have no idea what the other attainments could be.

Summoning
    Afaik legacies: the sublime predates Summoners, so maybe do something with summoning.

any thoughts? My spitballing attemmpts are still very vague

Legacies: The Sublime predates Summoners by multiple years, IIRC.

My current thoughts are torn between Fate and Prime as primary and Optional or Fate Primary and Prime as a conjunctional Arcanum. I kinda lean the latter, so I'd probably edit these to blur their differences a bit.

Also: the AoE is probably better as a targeting attainment, actually, so probably swap out 1st with an attainment that allows use of a Yantra that allows one to treat all participants in a ritual as a single target as if at touch range and then just drop those notes.
    1st: The Spiral Dance (May swap with 2nd)
    Fate: Interconnections (AoE, but only on those willingly following the caster, Advanced Duration)
    Prime: Supernal Vision (AoE, but only on those willingly following the caster, Advanced Duration)

2nd: Word From Above
    Fate: Serendipity (AoE, but only on those willingly following the caster, Advanced Duration)
    Prime: Word of Command

3rd: Tidal Gesture
    Fate: Warding Gesture (AoE, but only on those willingly following the caster, Advanced Duration)
    Prime: Wards and Signs (AoE, but only on those willingly following the caster, Advanced Duration)

4th: Drawing Down the Moon
    The channeling of one's sublime lunar connection allows magical enhancement of one's Supernal Self. Symbolism of that self is empowered to supernatural Levels. This unveils the mage's Nimbus which renders the form visible.
    Fate: Exceptional Luck (on ID related activities)
    Prime: Display of Power or maybe a more glorious Nimbus that adds fun effects to the Tilt.

5th: Immanent Divinity
    Fate: Divine Intervention
    Prime: Apocalypse

If you flesh things out further, and especially if you play test, I'd love to hear follow-up.
    Last edited by thenate; 07-17-2019, 11:10 PM.

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

Before anything else, a quick recap, they are found in Legacies:The Sublime pages 83 to 94.

1st Attainment: Grant Mage Sight: Fate with reduced Disbelief.

2nd Attainment: Exceptional Luck in aspect-appropriate situations, Transform Life related to aspect.

3rd Attainment: Superlative Luck as per 2nd Attainment (restrictions relaxed), Present as Past with prolonged duration.

With that covered, lets move on to my Attainment ideas:

Fate 1: This is a variation of Interconnections that not only has the normal effects, but also lets the target examine the inner Divinity of others. In essence, it lets you know their archetype, what general role fate has assigned for them, such as the fisher king, the rat prophet, the red queen, the doomed master, the one eyed architect, the herald of the owls, etc. You get an image as well, but interpretation is the tricky part. Reach is assigned to instant use, but I think this falls into the 2 reach additional effect, not sure.

Life 1: Disciplining the body is necessary in order to make the inner Divinity shine. Body Control with Reach assigned to advanced duration.

Fate 2: Exceptional luck with Reach assigned to instant use, it can also affect spells. But it can only be used in mundane actions and spells related to the Divinity. I am tempted to say this requires the Shadow Name merit as an easy way to define their inner Divinity.

Life 2: Mutable Mask with instant use and advanced duration. However, it must always incorporate at least one aspect of the Divinity into it. For example, a smell of fire for a dragon one, crooked toes for an eagle one, etc. Sleepers called these witch tells/marks during more paranoid ages, a fact hunters have not forgotten.

Fate 3: Superlative Luck with instant use and it can affect spells too. Just like the previous one, it can only be used on mundane action or spells that resonate with the Divinity's symbology.

Life 3: Your inner Divinity suffers no oathbreakers, to betray it is to invoke dire consequences. This is a variation of Sworn Oaths. Instead of a boon, you may choose to grant a transformation of a single aspect, as per Transform Life. Rather than a hex, you may instead impose a fleshcraft (a Life version of Shaping and with side effects that are just as permanent) such as melting teeth, sealing a mouth shut at the muscle and bone level, binding legs, eyes forever shut, hands cuffed together, etc. Reach is assigned to advanced duration.

Fate 4
      The Divinity attunes you with destiny and allows you to impose conditional durations on your spells at no cost.

Life 4
      Transform Life with Reach assigned to instant use and advanced duration.

Fate 5: You draw out the Divinity, embody its power and can grant its favor. Miracle with instant use.

Life 5: Shapechanging with Reach assigned to instant use and advanced duration. If the target transformed into an aspect of your Divinity, they retain their full mental faculties.

I tried to give them abilities that were useful but also drew attention from hunters.
      Last edited by KaiserAfini; 07-18-2019, 01:12 AM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

Comment

KaiserAfini :O very nice

The first attainment, it probably does fall under the +2 reach option, but why that particular reach option requires 2 reach is puzzling to me. Comparing it to "Mental scan" it seems very vague. I wouldn't have a problem with it.
        With the Life portion, I would go for "Cleanse the Body" instead of "Body Control", it's a 1 dot spell, in line with the first attainment rules and Cleansing seems more ... appropriate.

I like what you did with the third attainment; but i have a suggestion.
        What if we added the transform life options as things that can be done with a boon in general, rather than the specific oath usage?

Also, where is Shaping from? Matter 2?

Thanks though, I really like your ideas.

Comment

Thank you, glad you liked it. Since their theme is that of the coven witch, I wanted to create Attainments that had a double interpretation. To them its the result of Attuning themselves to their inner Divinity and its authority over the natural world and destiny. But for anyone that investigates them, they are the classic textbook witches, with tells, spells that obey weird rules, the ability to turn people into frogs, become animals and even hide in plain sight.

Its unfortunate the first Attainment needs the two Reach. Maybe a suitable restriction or downside could justify it, but I am not sure what a good one may be.

For the first Life one, Cleanse Body seems like it requires a certain care with timing. How about Speak with Beasts instead ? Now they can create a network of birds, rats, cats and other animals to be their spies around the city. They also do not trigger the peripheral sight, so it can make them unnervingly good at information gathering. It also makes them very capable at training attack animals. If they bribe a pack of street hounds, suddenly one of their enemies will find themselves in a very deadly situation. It also creates for them the image of the crazy cat/rat/dog lady that kids associate with witches.

Actually, the attack animals need not necessarily be discreet. If they swear an oath to eliminate your target, a dog with shark jaws or birds that can spit cobra venom will definitely ping the peripheral sight. Unfortunately Sworn Oaths is duration primary, which is why I worded it like that. Normally you get one hex effect due to Potency being 1 and Attainments not using yantras, so those twist are additional hex and boon options.

Shaping is from Matter 2, its a cool spell that levitates Matter and allows you to mold it easily. But if you port it to Life, it becomes one of the scariest and most flexible low level powers a Thrysus can wield.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

Comment

Can you use sworn oath on animals :O? I don't think so it requires agreement. Still, the combination of transform animal and speak with beasts is scary.

Life shaping = Vicissitude

Comment

Originally posted by MovingMind View Post
              Can you use sworn oath on animals :O? I don't think so it requires agreement. Still, the combination of transform animal and speak with beasts is scary.

Life shaping = Vicissitude
              Good catch, it was inspired by me trying to port Vicissitude over to Mage. I actually have a Legacy in the works for after I finish my current one. It goes full Tzimisce and Yuuzhan Vong.

Sworn Oaths does require agreement, but Speak with Beasts does mention animals have enough intelligence to understand simple concepts, remember physical characteristics in detail, etc. So if the mage words it simply, they should be able to agree. In so doing, you synergize the Attainments.
              Last edited by KaiserAfini; 07-18-2019, 02:16 PM.

Comment

What do you think of my idea about adding the "transform life" options as options for boons as a unique ability for the legacy?

Comment

Technically its something that can already be done by default. All you need is to incorporate more Arcana dots into the non-Legacy spell, Sworn Oaths is a baseline, Creative Thaumaturgy lets you customize it a lot further. So you can alter the boon with Life 3 to Transform Life, or cast it at Fate 5 to say "if you betray me, your fate will be unmade" or use Forces to grant flight, etc. The default spell is just what can be done with minimal requirements.The main draws of the spell are the ability to trigger Clash of Wills against external interference and, more importantly, that the penalty for being an oathbreaker cannot be Withstood, since the target opts into it.

In this case its leveraging a powerful bargain chip, which is granting any kind of biological adaptation, in a way that will not be subject to Disbelief. Similar to the Roses of Eden, it is very witchy/Verbena way to create and cultivate a group of followers. The fleshcrafting itself is a safeguard against disloyalty and insubordination.
                  Last edited by KaiserAfini; 07-19-2019, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X