X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Brookshaw
    started a topic New Line Developer

New Line Developer

Now that Signs of Sorcery is out in print, it is time to address the elephant in the room.

Friends, it has been my privilege to look after this wonderful, intricate gameline for the last six and a half years. I've gone from being the new kid to one of the oldest serving developers - one by one, my friends and colleagues have stepped down, and handed the games they were lucky enough to guide over to newer friends. Now it's my turn.

This isn't due to a falling-out with Onyx Path. I have the greatest respect for Rich, Eddy, and the rest. It's a combination of time pressures, my health, simply being tired of horror games, and the creeping realisation that after a decade writing rpgs all I've ever done is work on games other people own. I decided, back when I was designing Deviant, that the next game I designed would be mine, and I can't do that and watch over Mage. Last year, I finally had a good idea for a game of my own, and my dayjob is successful enough (though that has brought the time pressures!) that I can stop freelancing. Ten months ago, I told Onyx Path I was stepping down after Signs, but that I'd do a full handover.

Think of it this way. I have had a good term as Hierarch, but my Obsessions now outweigh my duty, and it's time for me to Seek the Imperial Mysteries.

As is proper, though, I have trained my apprentice.

Meghan Fitzgerald has been one of my favourite people to work with, chat with, hang out with at Conventions. She's one of three other writers (another's Malcolm Sheppard, my oldest and best friend in freelancing and Mage's wise old master) on the game's development slack, where we do things like come up with Seer of the Throne Ministries to namedrop and figure out how crossover mechanics are going to work. Meghan has done a fantastic job Developing Night Horrors: Nameless and Accursed, taking my pile of notes on how Scelesti and Tremere work in 2e and turning them into a full book. I've been reading the drafts, and giving advice when she asks - but that's not very often, because she gets it. That book's going through Art Direction now, and marks the handover - she's its Developer, I'm credited as line Developer. Starting with Tome of the Pentacle, Meghan is fully in charge.

I won't be around as much. The astute may have noticed I've not been around as much lately already (my actual paid work for Onyx Path ended with Sign's art notes many months ago), but if she wants me (and I have time) I'll be happy to write on future Mage books.

My only regret is that I never did write for Hunter, and therefore have a credit on every game line. But I had six years of the best gameline. And that's enough.

Good night. Travel well.

-Dave

• TyrannicalRabbit
    replied
    Can't wait to see who fantastic things release under your watch.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Yes, thank you. Between your Actual Plays and second edition and explanations you effectively personally sold me and helped me appreciate an often misunderstood game (with help from your players). I'm sure you'll bring the same charisma and understanding to Echoes and other projects you work on.

Leave a comment:

• KaiserAfini
    replied
    Thank you Dave for all the great content and tales you created. Your insight helped me understand the feel of Awakening and your APs had some fantastic advice about GMing. I will be keeping an eye out for your new game, hope you knock it out of the park !

I am pretty psyched that Meghan is taking over the seat of Hierarch. Her posts always gave the feel that she gets Mage and I am excited to see the stories she weaves.

Leave a comment:

• Alieron
    replied
    Thank you, Dave, for everything over the years, and inspiring my own Mage chronicle. Best of luck to you in the future!

(And good luck, Meghan -- can't wait to see what you've got in store for us!!)

Leave a comment:

• RBAWintrow
    replied
    Thank you for everything and good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Solarious
    replied
    It was an honor to have you writing for us all these years, Dave, starting with your home games, then as a writer and a developer. I'm bad at long goodbyes, so just one more thing.

We will see you again (in writing). More than once.

Leave a comment:

• Errol216
    replied
    Yeah, I have to repeat what a lot of other people have said: found you through the APs, was surprised and pleased when you became a dev, and your work is probably the main reason I engaged strongly with CofD stuff at all. That's taken me on my own journey. You've done great work here, but yeah, owning your own work sounds neat.

Also, your new idea sounds intriguing. I hope it shows up in the places I frequent when you're ready for that.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Brookshaw
    replied
    Thank you, everyone!

It's early days yet, but my game's tentatively called "Echoes," and is about the future, memories, hope, and moving past late-stage capitalism.

Leave a comment:

• Freemind
    replied
    Thanks Dave for making Mage 2e an amazing game, and I look forward to seeing both your next creation as well as what Meghan comes up with next!

Leave a comment:

• DSPaul
    replied
    Hail and farewell, Dave. Thanks for six amazing years — I’ll be eager to see whatever you do next.

Leave a comment:

• Poseur
    replied
    It is with both a bit of sadness and confidence I see you leave. As with many others here you have been a great inspiration to me. I've gone from disregarding mage and really not liking it to it becoming one if not the favorite game of mine. You have done an amazing job here, and I wish you the best of luck! I hope you get your own game done, and I look forward to reading it!

As of the confidence, I am sure that mage now is in good hands with Meghan. I can't think of anyone at OPP that's more suitable for taking over the torch.
    I am also very thankful for the fact that this seems to have been worked out in a respectful and good manner, with you Dave passing over the torch. Very professional, as it should be.

Thanks for imagination and thought you've brought so far, and best wishes in the future!

Leave a comment:

• lnodiv
    replied
    Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
    I like Meghan, but she is also line Developer on Changeling and she does writing on other lines as well and I worry that she might be getting stretched thin.
    I'm sure that if she felt this was a risk, she would have said so, and I'm quite sure she has a better grasp on whether or not she's being stretched thin than us forumites do.

Leave a comment:

• eddyfate
    replied
    It has been great watching your career, Dave. Hope we have a chance to work together again in future!

Leave a comment:

• Omegaphallic
    replied
    I like Meghan, but she is also line Developer on Changeling and she does writing on other lines as well and I worry that she might be getting stretched thin.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X