[2e Legacy Update] Clavicularius

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2e Legacy Update] Clavicularius

One of the players in my Mage game is a former Lucifuge Occultist cum Mastigos and has expressed great interest in the Clavicularius legacy. With that in mind I have tried my hand at updating it. Per the 2e core book the Legacy is now a Spirit primary Legacy, I assumed Mind was the secondary but feel confident in that assumption.

Because the Clavicularius claim to utilize the magical traditions of King Solomon and the 1e legacy write-up mentions them learning Hebrew I gave the attainments Hebrew names. That said, while I can "read" Hebrew I don't actually speak it or understand it beyond a few words, if any of my translations or transliterations are incorrect or awkward (e.g. the word I used for "Interaction" is a different kind of interaction than I thought) please let me know.

I have not replicated the information from the 1e write-up, if the mods approve it I can copy-paste some of the info from the book, but the book is still being sold, so /shrug.

Because the Legacy is primarily a Goetia-focused Legacy I chose Spirit attainments that had Mind conjunctional options and required the appropriate rank of Mind in order to gain the attainment. The "exception" was the fourth attainment, creating a Fetish doesn't normally have a Mind option or the ability to affect goetia so I added it for consistency.

And the first "optional" is indeed mandatory. Congratulations, you can never escape knowing everyone's best and worst urges, have fun.

All information not listed can be found in Legacies: the Sublime starting on page 13.
    Prerequisites: Spirit 2, Mind 1, Language (Hebrew), Occult 2, an occult specialization in goetic rituals, and one of the following skills at one dot or higher: Academics, Empathy, Persuasion, or Subterfuge.

Ruling Arcanum: Spirit
    Yantras: Keys (+1), clothing of leaders (+1), summoning circles (+1 or +2 if made of exotic/expensive components), chanting the secret names of the demons (+2, cannot be used reflexively).
    Oblations: as described in Legacies the Sublime.

First: תפיסה, Tefysah (Perception)
    Prerequisite: Initiation.
    The secret denizens of the world are laid bare to the eye of the Solomonist, by performing an hour long ritual they gain the ability to see and speak to spirits and goetia in the material world regardless of manifestation condition, including those possessed. The conduit of a spirit reaching across the Gauntlet or a goetia reaching out of the Astral can be detected, but this attainment grants no ability to interact with the entity. This merit functions as Exorcist’s Eye with reach assigned to advanced duration and the Mind 1 conjunctional effect.
    Mandatory:
    Their obsession with Vice and perfection means that, with but a glance, the Key-Bearer also learns the Virtue and Vice of anyone they view. This attainment functions as the spell Know Nature but only provides Virtue and Vice, is reflexive, and cannot be turned off.

Second: הזמנה, Hatzmenah (Invitation)
    Prerequisite:
    Occult 3.
    The Solomonist is master of the gates, allowing or denying entry to our world. With an hour long ritual they can change the Resonant Condition on a subject to the Open Condition or vice versa; this lasts for the Key-Bearer’s Spirit dots on the Advanced Duration table. This spell replicates the effects of Opener of the Way with reach assigned to Advanced Duration.
    Optional: Mind 2.
    The Solomonist can nudge the emotions of others to open or close one of their Doors in a social situation. This spell functions as Emotional Urging with reach assigned to instant casting.

Third: גומלין, Gomlin (Interaction)
    Prerequisite
    : Spirit 3, Mind 2, Occult 3 and the other skill used to qualify at 2 dots or another qualifying skill at 1 dot.
    At this level of understanding the Solomonist can now fully interact with both spirits and goetia, as can anything they are holding (bullets and other projectiles maintain this benefit long enough to strike their targets, but no longer). The attainment is activated during the same ritual as the first attainment, effectively adding “touch” to the “sight and sound” of the first attainment. This attainment replicates Gossamer Touch with the optional ability to affect goetia and reach assigned to advanced duration and allowing equipment to be affected.
    Optional: Mind 3.
    The mind of a trained Solomonist is a bastion against outside influence; any goetia’s numina, influences, or manifestations; any Mind spells; and any other supernatural creature’s mind-affecting abilities provoke a Clash of Wills. Further, if the Key-Bearer is presented with their Vice they can instead roll a Gnosis + Mind vs their own Resolve + Composure, if they succeed they regain a point of Willpower without having to indulge their vice, if they fail they instead must indulge their Vice and do not regain a point of Willpower. This attainment is activated by an hour long ritual and the shielding portion functions as the spell Mental Shield with reach assigned to advanced duration.

Fourth: ציווי, Tzivui (Commanding)
    Prerequisite: Spirit 4, Mind 3, Occult 4, and the other requirements of the previous attainment.
    By invoking secret names and treating with spirits and goetia, the Solomonist can place some of those entities’ powers in objects. Only weaker entities can be forced with this attainment, but more powerful entities can be bargained with so that they do not apply their Withstand. This attainment functions as the spell Craft Fetish with the ability to also affect goetia and with reach assigned to Advanced Duration.
    Optional: Mind 4.
    The Solomonist that has achieved this level of power can manifest materialized goetia from their own Oneiros. These goetia are not mystically bound to the Key-Bearer, but do start with a Perfect impression towards their originator and will go to extreme lengths to protect them (the goetia realize their existence hinges on that of the Mage). While similar to the spell Goetic Summons with the Spirit 2 option to grant the materialized condition and reach assigned to advanced duration and allowing summoning from within the Mage’s own mind, this attainment only allows goetia summoned from within the Mage’s own mind and does not require a way of meditating into the Astral to do so.

Fifth: עקידה, Akaydah (Binding)
    Prerequisite: Spirit 5, Mind 4. In addition to the Occult 4 requirement from the previous attainment, the Key-Bearer must increase the other Skill used to meet the requirements of the Legacy to three, or must attain two dots in a second skill from the list of possible requirements, or one dot in a third skill from that list.
    The Solomonist speaks and spirits and goetia listen, compelled to obey and carry out their assigned task. This attainment functions as the spell Bind Spirit with the ability to also affect goetia and reach assigned to instant casting and advanced duration.
    Optional: Mind 5.
    With an occult ritual the Solomonist can excise a subject’s Virtue or Vice in order to compel certain behaviors. While their Virtue is removed the subject is more prone to Vice, and regains two Willpower instead of one when so indulging (or resisting, if under the effects of the optional third attainment). Sans Vice the subject instead acts wholly in accordance with their Virtue, and cannot willingly engage in activities that would constitute a Breaking Point or Act of Hubris. This attainment functions as the spell Amorality with reach assigned to advanced duration.

[edit]I'm pretty sure interaction is just the Hebrew transliteration of interaction, so I'd really like a better word for that one.

[edit2]Going with @LostLight's suggestion of גומלין.

[edit3]Changed the fourth attainment to ציווי.
    Last edited by proindrakenzol; 10-18-2019, 01:57 AM.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Amm the problem with translating interaction, is that the direct translation is actually two words (that is, "inter" and "action" are each a separate word). There is, apparently, an official, lesser used word for interaction as Hidud (הידוד). While not a direct translation, Gomlin (גומלין) on its own could also be used, as it means "interactivity" or "mutuality", or the concept of two objects acting in accordance to each other. I personally like Gomlin better, as it is a much more common word in Hebrew (even though it is still a bit archaic), while Hidud is barely used at all, but choose whatever you like.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
      Amm the problem with translating interaction, is that the direct translation is actually two words (that is, "inter" and "action" are each a separate word). There is, apparently, an official, lesser used word for interaction as Hidud (הידוד). While not a direct translation, Gomlin (גומלין) on its own could also be used, as it means "interactivity" or "mutuality", or the concept of two objects acting in accordance to each other. I personally like Gomlin better, as it is a much more common word in Hebrew (even though it is still a bit archaic), while Hidud is barely used at all, but choose whatever you like.
      Gomlin it shall be, thank you!

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post

Gomlin it shall be, thank you!
        No problem! Happy to help!

Also, a really minor nitpick- the actual translation of מצווה is "commandment", not "commanding". The later would be Tzivui or something like that. Again, a really small detail.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

No problem! Happy to help!

Also, a really minor nitpick- the actual translation of מצווה is "commandment", not "commanding". The later would be Tzivui or something like that. Again, a really small detail.
          Cool! And it's the same root as "mitzvah," right?

Comment

Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post

Cool! And it's the same root as "mitzvah," right?
            Indeed

EDIT: unless you talked about Mitzuveh and Mitzvah. I thought you meant the same word. Mitzvah is "commandment". Perhaps you meant Metzuveh? That would mean "being commanded". Passive verb, more or less.
            Last edited by LostLight; 10-16-2019, 06:18 PM.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Indeed

EDIT: unless you talked about Mitzuveh and Mitzvah. I thought you meant the same word. Mitzah is "commandment". Perhaps you meant Metzuveh? That would mean "being commanded". Passive verb, more or less.
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know enough to answer that.

Comment

Lol- well, just say which word in English you want to use, and I'll tell you the Hebrew translation. The easiest path, I think :P

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Lol- well, just say which word in English you want to use, and I'll tell you the Hebrew translation. The easiest path, I think :P
                  "Commanding" is the word I think best fits.

Comment

That would be Tzivui. Yeah, it is short and may not look nice, but that's the word.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

That would be Tzivui. Yeah, it is short and may not look nice, but that's the word.
                      ציווה?

/10char

Comment

No, that means "he commanded"- it should be ציווי

If you wish to keep discussing the best word, perhaps we should move to PMs? I feel bad for derailing this thread into "all possible ways to use "command" in Hebrew" :P

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

No, that means "he commanded"- it should be ציווי

If you wish to keep discussing the best word, perhaps we should move to PMs? I feel bad for derailing this thread into "all possible ways to use "command" in Hebrew" :P
                          I think that should do it, actually, "tzivui" is fine aesthetically.

Comment

That is a very cool 2ed conversion, the fourth Mind Attainment is especially interesting. But I wonder if the constant Know Nature doesn't make them ping the Peripheral Sight so often that discretion becomes very difficult. It also makes me wish they had full Mental Scan so they would have a chance to go terribly crazy or incredibly sane from the constant insights into people's hearts, a bit like Hao Asakura in the manga.

I see a bit of overlap with the Mind's Eye Attainment, perhaps they could have a waiver on the mana cost for interacting with goetia for a scene. The ritual is how they reap greater benefits and extend them to their allies. But if they need a quick and dirty way to deal with an Astral being, they would be up to the task.

Overall, this is a pretty nice take on the Legacy.
                            Last edited by KaiserAfini; 10-24-2019, 10:14 AM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists
                            The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
                              That is a very cool 2ed conversion, the fourth Mind Attainment is especially interesting.
                              Thanks!

For the fourth Mind Attainment I initially had it function exactly like the spell with the appropriate reach options (could call any goetia, required a place to meditate into the Astral to call goetia from the Oneiros) but decided that restricting it to only your own goetia and removing the requirement to be able to meditated into the Astral was much more thematic.

But I wonder if the constant Know Nature doesn't make them ping the Peripheral Sight so often that discretion becomes very difficult.
                              I honestly didn't think about that. In my mind it's a "passive" effect and so wouldn't ping Peripheral Sight, but it might be interesting if it did, maybe give the option to suppress the ability for a scene with a point of Willpower?

[quote[It also makes me wish they had full Mental Scan so they would have a chance to go terribly crazy or incredibly sane from the constant insights into people's hearts, a bit like Hao Asakura in the manga.[/quote]

My problem with Mental Scan (and pretty much all low level attainments that are Withstood) is that I want Legacy Attainments to be useful with only the minimum requirements and Mental Scan at one dot in Mind is a whiff 100% of the time. The only reason I have Emotional Urging as an Attainment is because it was in the 1e write-up.

I see a bit of overlap with the Mind's Eye Attainment, perhaps they could have a waiver on the mana cost for interacting with goetia for a scene. The ritual is how they reap greater benefits and extend them to their allies. But if they need a quick and dirty way to deal with an Astral being, they would be up to the task.
                              The benefits to the Exorcist's Eye as a Legacy Attainment is that it's always on, allows you to see conduits, and doesn't require the use of Active Mage Sight (which has penalties associated with it and can only be used for a minute without the expenditure of a point of Willpower).

The third Legacy Attainment grants the interaction ability while also extending the effect to equipment without the expenditure of mana.

If you had other ideas for those two attainments I'd be happy to hear them.

Overall, this is a pretty nice take on the Legacy.
                              Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X