No announcement yet.

Making the Mastigos more palatable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing to keep in mind, Livius Magos , is that Mage the Awakening is set within a dark world and is intentionally dark. The game is intentionally a horror game. By that very nature there's going to be things about the line that either seem unrealistic or extreme. You would be correct to point out that they don't just seem that way, they ARE that way. But, of course, that's because it's a horror game: it's intentional.

Now, that having been said, I think that a lot of what has already been said by everyone else on this thread helps to point out the virtues of the Mastigos path. Having the ability to see your own faults is the first step to addressing them. Having the ability to correctly see other's darkness gives you the opportunity to challenge those people to rise above their faults. Having access to Mind and Space (and especially as the Mastigos see those arcana) provides the tools you need to rise above your faults and give a helping hand to others.

Finally I would remind you that mages are still individuals capable of choosing how they react to situations, regardless of how their path bends them. Part of the point of Signs of Sorcery is to point out how a mage might embrace the symbolism of their path. That means by antithesis that any mage can reject/ignore the symbolism of their path. There's no need to alter the entire path itself. Rather, I would challenge you to make a Mastigos character that intentionally rises above the faults and problems of his path to be a better and wiser person, both towards himself and towards others. I think that you might have a better appreciation for the path if you do. If not then, well, there's still four other paths to choose from, several other gamelines in the Chronicles of Darkness to choose from, and a whole world of entertainment to choose over Mage.

Comment

Their Supernal realm and Path throws everything I despise about the occult into a single splat.

Why is that?

Comment

One of the roles of Paths are to help enable specific cultural archetypes into the game. So the reason is simple: your tastes don't value those archetypes positively.

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
          Their Supernal realm and Path throws everything I despise about the occult into a single splat.

Why is that?
          This is going to be a bad decision, but:

Explain what you despise.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Female pronouns, please.

Comment

I like the Mastigos. They’re dark without being evil like the Scelesti. And I love their symbol (the Iron Gauntlet in the velvet glove).

The die is cast.

Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
              This is going to be a bad decision, but:

Explain what you despise.
              Gonna go out on a limb here and guess that this is a case of Konrad not knowing how to use the Quote function, rather than that they're repeating one of OP's assertions verbatim and then asking other people why that's a position they themselves hold.

Still a valid question to ask, but we seem well past the point where an answer beyond the paragraph the line is from would be forthcoming unless Livius is keeping pace with the discussion.
              Last edited by Satchel; 01-31-2020, 12:58 AM.

Resident Lore-Hound
              Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                Gonna go out on a limb here and guess that this is a case of Konrad not knowing how to use the Quote function, rather than that they're repeating one of OP's assertions verbatim and then asking other people why that's a position they themselves hold.

Still a valid question to ask, but we seem well past the point where an answer beyond the paragraph the line is from would be forthcoming unless Livius is keeping pace with the discussion.
                That seems rather obvious in hindsight now that you point it out, but I suppose that's how hindsight works.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                Female pronouns, please.

Comment

Working...
                X