No announcement yet.

The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah, Obrimos can be subtle manipulators, and the fact that they think they’re enacting a grand design is pretty Obrimos too.

If it’s supposed to be a Condition levied via Imposing Nimbus that would be fine, but if they don’t have that as a purchased Merit it would be a Prime Perfecting effect to ramp their Nimbus up to that level. Either way you end up with it as not the first attainment, or you may as well just purchase the Merit.

What you could do instead is have Prime reveal a Condition that the subject is under that makes them more socially pliable, like Swooned or something. Effectively you reveal a truth about them. I don’t like that much though, it’s kind of wiggly since there may be nothing there to reveal. Anything useful would be something you put there yourself.

So let’s look at the glyphs. They seem to be capable of manifesting on their own? If that’s the case maybe something like analyzing a piece of writing reveals a glyph that shows the author’s Vice? That could be used for social maneuvering leverage.

Either way it’s not exactly as subtle as you seem to want. Hmm...

Just looked over Compelling and it can intensify existing phenomena to inflict a Condition. So I see where you’re coming from, slap the Nimbus Tilt down, ramp it up into a Condition with Compelling.

So maybe that is actually okay in theory. I’d point out that a Nimbus is a highly individual thing though so it would be a bit weird for the first attainment to always inflict the same Condition regardless of what the Mage’s Nimbus usually does.

You could either accept that it should be more individual, or come up with something else.

I’d like to suggest something that actually allows them to see the glyphs in their holy texts as they manifest in the world? That would make the glyphs more proprietary to the legacy. Maybe when they perceive a glyph it renews their sense of purpose in their mission and gives them Inspired or something to boot. It probably means you’d be rolling Exceptionals more than usual. I dunno, I’d be okay with it, but some STs might feel its objectionable.

Anyway, that’s enough musing to kick off more creativity.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
      Nah, Obrimos can be subtle manipulators, and the fact that they think they’re enacting a grand design is pretty Obrimos too.
      Only insofar as anyone could be a subtle manipulator. But the stereotypical person that Awakens to the Golden Key is not going to be a subtle manipulator.

I bring it up, because it's worth considering how many atypical Obrimos there are in a given campaign.

proin's Legacy hub

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post

If it’s supposed to be a Condition levied via Imposing Nimbus that would be fine, but if they don’t have that as a purchased Merit it would be a Prime Perfecting effect to ramp their Nimbus up to that level. Either way you end up with it as not the first attainment, or you may as well just purchase the Merit.

What you could do instead is have Prime reveal a Condition that the subject is under that makes them more socially pliable, like Swooned or something. Effectively you reveal a truth about them. I don’t like that much though, it’s kind of wiggly since there may be nothing there to reveal. Anything useful would be something you put there yourself.

So let’s look at the glyphs. They seem to be capable of manifesting on their own? If that’s the case maybe something like analyzing a piece of writing reveals a glyph that shows the author’s Vice? That could be used for social maneuvering leverage.

Either way it’s not exactly as subtle as you seem to want. Hmm...

Just looked over Compelling and it can intensify existing phenomena to inflict a Condition. So I see where you’re coming from, slap the Nimbus Tilt down, ramp it up into a Condition with Compelling.

So maybe that is actually okay in theory. I’d point out that a Nimbus is a highly individual thing though so it would be a bit weird for the first attainment to always inflict the same Condition regardless of what the Mage’s Nimbus usually does.

You could either accept that it should be more individual, or come up with something else.

I’d like to suggest something that actually allows them to see the glyphs in their holy texts as they manifest in the world? That would make the glyphs more proprietary to the legacy. Maybe when they perceive a glyph it renews their sense of purpose in their mission and gives them Inspired or something to boot. It probably means you’d be rolling Exceptionals more than usual. I dunno, I’d be okay with it, but some STs might feel its objectionable.

Anyway, that’s enough musing to kick off more creativity.
        Yep, you nailed the feel. Keepers in Thief use glyphs to leave clues for you, cast spells, move stealthfully and read prohecy.

So the original Attainments were meant to move resources and communicate without trace. The first Attainment even allowed them to see the glyphs passively. So a Strażnik could suddenly run into glyphs prepared under the instructions of the Manuscript (like a boon left 20 years earlier). Or they could receive resources or info covertly from other members.

Like the Secret Order of the Gate, by the time they enter the Legacy, they are deeply ingrained into its secrets and work. A Glyptic is a seasoned manipulator and very hard to trace (due to the Mystery Cult's bonuses). So this way of condensing their Nimbus into a glyph that allows them to hypnotize targets, to create alibis and leave no trace would be one of the first manifestations of their experience and glyptic insight embodied within the Legacy. At least, that was the idea that inspired this new take on the first optional Attainment.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
        The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

Comment

Here is a new idea for the 4th main Attainment, which is partially inspired by Destiny of the Endless. It uses both Arcana and probably will require Prime 3, but I think it fits their theme as indirect manipulators and as scribes. I am tempted to add this along with the mesmerize one, I they could compliment to give a unique feel to the Legacy. But anyway, on to the Attainment:

Tentative 4th Attainment

The Strażnik habitually study where their charges stand in the stage of the Oracles. Sometimes the Manuscript provides a forewarning, other times they use spells to study the target's archtype and its connections. Regardless, once an actor stumbles on their role, they step in like prompters, reminding them of their lines and cues from the shadows.

To accomplish this, they first manifest their Book of Souls, a platonic form which has [Prime] Durability.

Each time they wish to affect a target, they must spend a scene studying the needed changes. Each Strażnik has a preferred method. Some counsel the target while under a disguise, others prefer going over the clues of the Manuscript and their own intel, there are even some that debate with their cabal.

Once they finish, the book manifests a hagiography of the new destiny and emits a profusion of invisible glyphs. They move by themselves, fate delivers them to the target and the Strażnik is aware when this happens. Once they arrive, they cover the target, rewriting their fate. This is a variation Strings of Fate, with Reach assigned to advanced duration and opportunities appearing every day.

The book remains in existence so long as at least one target is affected by the Attainment. Should the page containing the hagiography of the target be destroyed, then the Attainment ends. Should the Strażnik not spend at least an hour per day within sensory range of the book, then it vanishes and all uses of the Attainment end.

The Strażnik can do a scene long ritual to change the form of the book. When heading to a dangerous area, for example, they may change it into a thick tome with a handcuff they can lock to their wrist. Whereas those prioritizing infiltration change it into a notebook.
          Last edited by KaiserAfini; 02-03-2020, 12:31 AM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

Comment

Since the Mesmerization Attainment was too powerful, I altered it to something more reasonable and that builds upon the themes of the initiation.

Some additional changes:

* Included quotes by the Keepers and images to help reinforce the themes of the Legacy.

* Created a new 4th main Attainment, inspired by Destiny of the Endless and a bit by the Bandit's Secret from HunterXHunter. It adds another method of indirect manipulation while bringing its own challenges with it.

* Defined some additional yantras

Hopefully this balaces the Attainments mechanically while reinforcing the theme.

Comment

Since I had a bit of free time, I looked for a better image for the first Attainment. The original one felt off. The new image is a halo of prime energy, glyphs and scrolls. This is probably what a target using the Inspired condition looks like under Active Mage Sight.

Similarly to what I did with my previous Legacy, I also added some design notes after the main writeup.
              Last edited by KaiserAfini; 04-17-2020, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Since the number of oblations was lacking, I have expanded the list with ones that flesh out their theme and modus operandi.

In addition, I added 4 new nicknames. The first is Metatrons, a reference to the mysterious angel of the veil, patron of scribes and agent of providence.

The second is Enochians. This is a double reference. It hearkens to Enoch, who is a scribe, keeper of mysteries and fulfiller of divine decrees. Its also a reference to John Dee, who used enochian magic and was a suspected author of the Voynich Manuscript.

The third one is Raziels. Not only is it a reference to another angel of secrets, but also to the Soul Reaver games. It shows that becoming the blade that shatters the yoke of fate can be a difficult and self sacrificing job, although ultimately worth it.

The final one is Midrashim, referencing the exagesis methodology they use to interpret the Manuscript.

Lastly, I added a quick summary in the beginning of the writeup.
                Last edited by KaiserAfini; 05-31-2020, 03:31 PM.

Comment

One thing that has been lingering in my mind was that this Legacy did not provide much utility with the third optional Attainment, which is the highest that would normally see play. With that in mind, I repurposed the original fifth Attainment into it. This allows them a much greater degree of flexibility and stealth.

The final optional one was re-imagined based on The Final Glyph from Thief: Deadly Shadows. Not only does this allow them to take use ley lines to inscribe Glyphs using sacred geometry, but it also gives them the ability to stealthfully manipulate a greater area. I also altered the image of the Attainment to better reflect the new one.

The design notes have been updated to reflect these changes.

Hopefully this gives them a more interesting power set.
                  Last edited by KaiserAfini; 07-18-2020, 09:00 PM.

Comment

You can include the Mind Arcana as a requirement. It's not popular, whether because it makes things weaker or just a lot more complicated to explain.. (Personally, I haven't figured out nice verbiage for describing the "use the weaker arcana" thing...) Nevertheless, if you include Mind, there isn't any issue with purviews.
                    Last edited by thenate; 07-21-2020, 08:41 PM. Reason: spellin

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

Originally posted by thenate View Post
                      You can include the Mind Arcana as a requirement. It's not popular, weather because it makes things weaker or just a lot more complicated to explain.. (Personally, I haven't figured out nice verbiage for describing the "use the weaker arcana" thing...) Nevertheless, if you include Mind, there isn't any issue with purviews.

You mean for the first optional Attainment and third main Attainment ? The third is using a Veiling Fate to hide something with lucky coincidences, like a stronger version of how vampires just know how to not get caught on camera. ]Like Incognito presence, it uses a mana to compensate for how good it is for stealth. I was aiming for something equivalent, but with a different flavor.

The first optional is acting as Imposing Nimbus, it calls the effect, intensifies it via a Compelling and then specializing it into one of two effects rather than a context appropriate one. I want to try to avoid needing a third optional Arcanum if possible. Perhaps Imposing Nimbus could be added as a pre-requisite ? The advantage of the Attainment would then be that it is more reliable and bypassing the need to use Willpower.

Comment

Well, generally, really. If "truth and language" are important to the legacy, both arcana make sense. You might find a preferred mechanic by combining the ideas.

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

The second main Attainment harnesses a less common but extremely useful part of Fate's purview: intentions.

So with a Knowing you can find out someone's intentions and possibly why they have them.

A Veiling lets you hide them, so you could use it to make the successful social maneuvering of the peace emissary actually close Doors due to miscommunication, or even open them in the opposite direction for a Reach.

With a Weaving you can redefine the characteristics of their intentions, like making them want to find a blue car instead of just a car, or have the rivals do a Duel Arcane rather than one to the death. I think the core book only covers intentions with Strings of Fate, which involves completely overwriting them. In this case, it was focusing on what Knowing can do, which overlaps a bit with Mind. But Mind can give so much more information than that.

Does that cover your question about the purview ? If not, could you please clarify?
                          Last edited by KaiserAfini; 07-22-2020, 05:52 PM.

Comment

In paragraph below:

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
                            •••• Interpretator

Interpreters are skilled manipulators, seeding ideas, securing resources and moving personnel. Their specialty is to flatten the road from the shadows, ensuring the path is clear for the champions of the Oracles. Developing the ability to use the Hidden High Speech, mage members become highly skilled in weaving mantras into mundane talk or hiding clues for the Awakened in seemingly normal documents. Sleepwalker members gain High Speech Perception, facilitating covert communication between members.

You are giving in a 1-dot merit in the 3-dot merit slot.
                            Have you thought of how to use these dots? Or you just saw that there is a nice merit. I want that :P
                            Or meaby use a 2 dots for your own supernal watcher 1?
                            What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Zwinniak View Post
                              In paragraph below:

You are giving in a 1-dot merit in the 3-dot merit slot.
                              Have you thought of how to use these dots? Or you just saw that there is a nice merit. I want that :P
                              Or meaby use a 2 dots for your own supernal watcher 1?
                              What do you think?
                              The merit was there because I wanted to, above all, make them extremely difficult to uncover. The ability to send and receive encoded High Speech not only facilitates that a lot, but is also a reference to the Keepers writing messages with glyphs for Garett all over The City.

That being said, the Supernal Watcher idea is genius. They could get the first level from the extra dots in Interpretator and the second level at Opiekun.

Sleepwalkers would also get a patron via the Daimon merit, which acts as Dream, but can be done instantly while conscious. This represents the illumination of the Aethereal patron. First two dots at Interpretator, two more at Opiekun.

These patrons would be called Ophanim. Since Raziel is the angel of secrets and the veil, it seems appropriate for his host to guide the Straznik. They are known to take the form of wheels, with many eyes that never sleep, guarding the throne of heaven and are renowned for their wisdom. How does that sound?

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post

The merit was there because I wanted to, above all, make them extremely difficult to uncover. The ability to send and receive encoded High Speech not only facilitates that a lot, but is also a reference to the Keepers writing messages with glyphs for Garett all over The City.

That being said, the Supernal Watcher idea is genius. They could get the first level from the extra dots in Interpretator and the second level at Opiekun.

Sleepwalkers would also get a patron via the Daimon merit, which acts as Dream, but can be done instantly while conscious. This represents the illumination of the Aethereal patron. First two dots at Interpretator, two more at Opiekun.

These patrons would be called Ophanim. Since Raziel is the angel of secrets and the veil, it seems appropriate for his host to guide the Straznik. They are known to take the form of wheels, with many eyes that never sleep, guarding the throne of heaven and are renowned for their wisdom. How does that sound?
                                That all feel great.

So you swap the Shadow name 3 to shadow name 1 and supernal watcher +2?
                                Also what do you think about what Trails should those angels provide?
                                Also also what do you think somebody should take when he cant take Hidden High speech? Mostly because he doesent have expression 3.

Im looking forward to playing your homebrewed legacy in one of my games.
                                Last edited by Zwinniak; 08-21-2020, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X