Mixed Cabals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Cabals?

Seers are made to white they can be playable, both mechanically and from a narrative standpoint. At least I think that's what Dave Brookshaw made them like.

Is it possible for cabals consisting of both seer and pentacle mages? Or is that just impossible considering how diametrically opposed they are?

Unless one of them is overtly violating their fundamental belief structure, you aren't going to have a Free Council mage working with an apparent Seer. They are still officially in a hot war.

It's highly unlikely for anyone else Pentacle, except in extreme circumstances.

It's possible for purt near anything to happen, though, if you stretch things. A Seer might save a dude's life and they become friends.

Think of this as spies from hostile powers. You ever see RED?

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

I think the Pentacle/Seers divide is too wide, and exemplified in the fact that Pentacle mages organises in "cabals" while Seers organises in "pylons".

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

I think it is a rare but not impossible event. The most common would be a threat/mystery/investigation that involves both sects.

Comment

Oh, yeah, they can certainly cooperate when needed, but I don't think they'll form official mixed cabals.

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone! It just has to do with a possible Chronicle my players and I are thinking about doing.

Comment

A game set in "The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" pirate setting in Dark Eras 2 could potentially see a mixed cabal representing the alliance of Silver and Iron (The Silver Ladder and the Seers of the Throne), who joined forces to combat a nameless order that threatened both.

Comment

The reason this is implausible is because the fundamental, founding belief of the Pentacle is "Seers are bad," in so many words. That's the entire point of the Council and the Diamond allied. As Tessie implies, this is like asking whether or not there were any mixed British/German squads during World War 1. Even presuming you're great buddies, why would a British soldier take orders from a German officer?

What story do you want to tell that needs this?

Because there are reasons not to have pure Pentacle cabals or pure Seer pylons in a given story. Most easily, you could make them all apostates with no need for Orders or Ministries to guide their actions when investigating Mysteries. That cuts them off from access to a lot of resources, especially resources for arbitration and redress, but that's mostly a story opportunity more than anything else. In the absence of law, you'll just have to enforce your own.

Ignoring the possibility of undercover spies, you could also throw in things like prophecies wherein a specific Seer has to work with the Pentacle cabal in order to achieve some particular result that the Exarchs and local Consilium both want to come to pass, for instance, and they may choose to ceremonially dress it up as a formal liaison role, possibly with a hostage exchange. Maybe the black sheep PC is the hostage, rather than the chosen one.

Ultimately, it's political. Someone benefits from the arrangement. Someone, possibly multiple someones, believes that they will win in the long run as a result of this. You'd have to figure out who, and why, and whether or not the PCs care. Because at the end of the day, the three sects are all political entities first and foremost, with different programs on how they believe the world should work. So of course their footsoldiers could work together. But there must be a reason, and that reason is going to be a story hook.

I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
                An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
                Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

Comment

Before the Seers and Diamond were formalized of course there would have been mixed cabals of those who worshipped the Exarchs and those who didn’t. At least until or if great enough ideological differences caused them to separate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                    Before the Seers and Diamond were formalized of course there would have been mixed cabals of those who worshipped the Exarchs and those who didn’t. At least until or if great enough ideological differences caused them to separate.

Was going to post this! The best way to have such a story is to set in the middle ages.

Comment

Well if *infiltration* is on the table then, the answer is absolutely yes.

Comment

Well the old enemy of my enemy is a start.
                        Also there's sure to be tension but be the parties are somewhat pragmatic it might be doable. The orders might be entities in their own right, but they are lade up of individuals.

In my own chronicle the pentacle, free cuncil, mages have a truce and weak Alliance with a seer because their common nameless enemy is a more direct threat to sleepers than eachother. They provide intelligence for now but i expect a more formal cooperation go be coming. Also the panopticon seer is a rival with another preatorian seer, who instead of stoping the musteri wants control over it.

Comment

I think it's vaguely feasible if you have some underlying pre-existing condition: ex family members

Comment

Working...
                          X