Prelacy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prelacy

So as a ST, I have to say that I find the Merit: Prelacy underwhelming. Mind you, have limited the Players to making Pentacle Mages. I feel the Seers are better used as antagonists. I find the 1e Prelacy Crown, Sword and Temple better suited for villains. Does anyone else think this or do you prefer the 2e Merit? And if you do prefer the 2e, why?
    Last edited by Mahjemm01; 06-30-2020, 09:16 PM.

The 1e Prelacy rules present four Prelacies as twelve Merit cascades totalling about five pages of rules text. The 2e Prelacy rules present four Prelacies as one Merit cascade totalling about half a page. It's pretty unavoidable that you can do more in five pages than you can do in half a page, and yet I'm pretty impressed at how the 2e Prelacy Merit covers the conceptual ground of those five pages pretty neatly and compactly.

The Temple Prelacies are definitely presented with more flavor and definition in the 1e rules. 2e's generalized Exarchate Verge model contains the potential for that conceptual space, but the potential isn't realized within the 2e corebook.

Comment

On the other hand a Paternoster being able to heal resistant damage they contained from paradoxes and their massive mana pool means they're in prime (pun intended) position to bring their maximum power to any fuckwit who challenges her. The devil is in the details. Easy cheap convenient access to yantras and the most well-defended demesne this side of Archmastery is *pretty dang good!*

Comment

Doesn't SIgns of Sorcery also have the Chancellor Prelate bonuses?

Comment

Yes. Chancellor, Raptor, and Prophet Crown Attainments.

Comment

8/10 in Onyx Path published works. (Nemesis appears in DE2 in the piracy chapter...as one of the four major ministries of the Seers)
            The Psychopomp and The Ruin are needed to complete the set.
            The Gate...is a separate matter.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Iirc the Raptor should preferably have an alternate version because the main benefits build off of optional rules, meaning it'd be heavily underpowered by those not using those rules.

Bloodline: The Stygians
              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Even if you don't use Beaten Down, Raptor's Prelacy makes prelates immune to wound penalties.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

That and the extra Doors aren't bad to have, but I think those two combined pale compare to the main benefit of all the other Crown Attainments. Maybe the four in the core book are a bit boosted due to them being boons from Archigenitors, but Crown of Scarcity looks so much better (to the point where it spawned one of the two character concepts I have for my group's future left-handed game). Crown of Agency is too situational for my taste, but it compensates to some degree by being extremely flavourful by interacting with the mage's magic.
                  Huh. Going through those in the core book and in SoS, I find that all Crown Attainments except Instinct does in some way interact with the mage's magic or with Mana. Some a lot more than others, but Crown of Instinct is alone (unless Nemesis also does it; haven't read that one yet) in granting purely mundane benefits. I think that might sour my perception of it as well.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
                  X