Hung Spell and other one shot items

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hung Spell and other one shot items

I recently got Signs of Sorcery and I’ve been thinking lately about single use and charged items, how to make them, what kinds of spells they can store and so on. I have a few mechanics questions and some suggestions based on my understanding of the rules.

Hung Spell (MtAw p 187) seems to have some mechanics in common with the limited use item spells in Signs of Sorcery (p 69 – 70). All of these spells specify that a mage may spend one mana to cast a spell into these other spells, which I will call “wrapper spells” but the spells cast into the wrappers, which I will call “core spells”, remain under the spell control of the caster. So, with all the core spells it sounds like the caster may need to relinquish them with a willpower point to release them from his spell control. If this is not done then each of these one-shot items takes two spell control slots, one for the wrapper and one for the core spell. Please correct me if I’m wrong on these assumptions. As I understand it, Hung spell also keeps the core spell protected from degradation, so if the caster of the core spell relinquishes it with a willpower point, it can sit safely inside Hung Spell as long as Hung Spell is maintained.
    It also seems as if Hung Spell isn’t as useful without the Fate two attainment Conditional Duration (MtAw p 192), which costs one mana, but adds at least one level of duration to Hung Spell. Without Conditional Duration you have to wait for Hung Spell to expire. The advantage of Hung Spell is that it can store any spell, not just those with a range of touch or self. As I understand it, Hung Spell releases all the trapped spells at once, which could be good in some situations, but not as useful if you want one of the spells to wait.

Potions

Now that I think I’ve beaten Hung Spell to death I’ll go on to Spell Potion (SoS p 70). Like Hung Spell, Spell Potion is a wrapper for other magic. The caster for Spell Potion can use the Matter two attainment Permanence (MtAw p 193) to gain advanced duration for only a point of mana. If the caster of Spell Potion also has Conditional Duration, he can spend another mana to gain a level of duration on the potion. A suggested condition would be, “when the magic starts to fail”. This would add at least two levels of duration to Spell Potion (one year) and make the relinquishment relatively safe for a willpower point.
    Spell Potion can store up to its potency in spells, so you can make one potion with several effects (Invisibility, Control Sound and No smell for example) or you could separate one casting of Spell Potion out into several different containers, each of which will hold its own spell (like several healing potions). I will call each casting of Spell Potion a “Batch”. Each core spell needs to be relinquished with a willpower point but will be preserved with the Spell Potion. Like Hung Spell, each core spell cast into Spell Potions takes an additional point of mana beyond their normal cost.

These relatively high costs for temporary items (that don’t take spell control slots) means you want these potions to last for a while. A batch of potions could be maintained with the same mechanics as the Sanctum merit, allowing characters to stockpile a certain number of potions.
    Modified merit: Alchemy Lab – Your character (or cabal) maintains an alchemy lab. Each dot in this merit (up to five) adds to your spell control slots, but only for the Spell Potion spell. Each dot in Alchemy Lab can maintain a Batch of Spell potions. A Batch consists of one casting of Spell Potion, whether that casting was potency one or potency ten. Extra subjects can’t be used for this spell, the maximum number of potions created per batch is determined by potency alone. The Conditional Duration “when Spell Potion begins to fail” can’t be used on potions maintained with an Alchemy Lab, although a condition like “if the potion is stolen” can be. Any Alchemy Lab serves as a one die Environment yantra for creating Spell Potions. Mages often stock their labs with Sacraments as well, but anything beyond one-point Sacraments must be obtained separately.

Charms

Charms are made with the Energize Object spell (SoS p 69). Like Spell Potion, the potency for each casting of Energize Object (a “Set” of Charms) can be split or combined to make charms that will hold one or more core spells at once. Each core spell requires an additional point of mana to wrap into an Energized Object and a willpower point to relinquish. Once this is done, the core spell is protected from decay as long as Energize Object is maintained. Each Set of charms can be relinquished as usual or maintained by the caster.
    New merit: Charm Molds – Your character (or cabal) maintains a workspace for making charms. Each dot in this merit (up to five) adds to your spell control slots, but only for the Energize Object spell. Each dot in Charm Molds can maintain a Set of Charms. A Set consists of one casting of Energize Object, whether that casting was potency one or potency ten. Extra subjects can’t be used for this spell, the maximum number of charms created per set is determined by potency alone. The Conditional Duration “when Energize Object begins to fail” can’t be used on charms maintained with a Charm Mold, although a condition like “if the charm is stolen” can be. Any Charms Mold serves as a one die Environment yantra for creating Charms. Mages often stock their workspaces with Sacraments as well, but anything beyond one-point Sacraments must be obtained separately.

Spell Staff

This item is a combination of Mana Battery and a casting of Stored Spell of indefinite duration. With this combination, the mana a mage needs to cast any stored spells is contained in the staff itself. If the mage wants to place a spell in the staff that is not touch or self, then Hung Spell can be used as a wrapper within a wrapper. The Hung Spell must placed into the spell staff with a point of mana, and be relinquished with a willpower point. After that, the core spell can be placed into the Hung Spell (another mana and willpower point). Spell Staves are incredibly versatile, they can hold any spell and enough mana to cast it. They can also be recharged . . .

Scrolls

You don’t really need scrolls in Mage the Awakening, but just for fun.
    Scribe Scroll (Prime 3 + Time2)
    Practice: Weaving
    Primary Spell Factor: Duration
    Cost: One Mana
    Suggested Rote Skills: Academics, Crafts, Occult

This spell is a hybrid of Stored Spell and Hung Spell. The Mage must spend his ritual interval scribing each scroll to be primed in High Speech. This step is not part of the casting, the Mage scribes the scrolls first and primes them later. Each scroll can only be scribed with the runes for the spell that scroll will contain. Then Scribe Scroll can be cast on the scroll to prime it to hold the magic. Scribe Scroll can prime a number of scrolls equal to potency (called a Sheaf). A Sheaf of scrolls counts as one spell for spell control, or the Sheaf can be relinquished as usual.
    Each scroll can only hold one spell, and only the spell that it was scribed for. The spell the scroll was scribed for can be cast into the scroll for one mana and relinquished for one willpower point. Note that the Scroll itself provides a Rune Yantra for the core spell. This core spell is then preserved for as long as Scribe Scroll spell lasts. Any spell can be scribed into a scroll. To activate the scroll and release the magic, the caster must read the scroll aloud, which takes one turn. When the scroll is used it is consumed by the magic and turns to ash.

Modified merit: Scriptorium - Your character (or cabal) maintains a Scriptorium. Each dot in this merit (up to five) adds to your spell control slots, but only for the Scribe Scroll spell. Each dot in Scriptorium can maintain a Sheaf of scrolls. A Sheaf consists of one casting of Scribe Scroll, whether that casting was potency one or potency ten. Extra subjects can’t be used for this spell, the maximum number of scrolls created per Sheaf is determined by potency alone. The Conditional Duration “when Scribe Scroll begins to fail” can’t be used on Scrolls maintained with a Scriptorium, although a condition like “if the scroll is stolen” can be. Any Scriptorium serves as a one die Environment yantra for creating scrolls. The Scriptorium is inscribed with the runes for the Scribe Scroll spell, granting a two point Rune Yantra bonus.

Unlike the Imbue Item attainment, the "single use" items can be primed by one person and have the spell cast into them by another. So if you want to create, say, Cookies of Healing (like my players), the Mage that has Matter 3 + Prime 2 and the Mage that has Life 4 can each contribute, and then the players without Life magic now have a way to heal themselves.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

Resource scarcity is relative. A mage with Mind 3 can "heal" back Willpower just as easily as a mage with Life 3 fixes bashing wounds.

If you have an adept of Prime and Matter, they can turn just about any common items into mana. If you have pull within the Consilia or are owed a major boon, you could ask for an Imbued Item with this effect, especially if the debtor is/knows a Forge Master.

A Fate master can use Miracle so your spell gets an exceptional success and you can bypass Withstand. This is especially useful since it allows you greatly reduce the resource sink that a Prime master needs to create a Hallow.

A Thyrsus can make a business deal with a spirit. They channel more Essence into their pattern, from a Resonant area, than their daily limit would allow. In exchange they get a ton of mana via the Familiar link transfer. If a spirit goes overboard feeding in an area, this is an easy way to get them to stop while giving the mage a lot of resources.

Lastly, I think your scroll idea sounds like a Basilisk mixed with Sored Spell, so perhaps Fate 2 could be employed in case the caster doesn't have Time 2.
      Last edited by KaiserAfini; 09-15-2020, 09:58 PM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists
      The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate

Comment

Working...
      X