No announcement yet.

Spell Factors Explanation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want more free Reach, at least for younger mages, that's one of the big reasons to invest in Rotes (though they maintain usefulness for more experienced mages). You're going to find mechanics that boost Yantras, which in turn increase your dice-pool, and thus you can absorb more penalties from spell factors without significantly decreasing the odds of casting the spell.

Comment

Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post

Yes and no.

Any Merit that gives you access to a more potent than normal Yantra (such as Shadow Name) gives you more dice, which means you can take larger penalties for higher factors. There are places that negate or reduce the risk of Paradox from overreaching, which is effectively free Reach.

But having the amount of Reach available to you safely is a major core component of the game, most Paradox will be from overreaching to achieve the effect you want, so ways of making that less of a problem should be difficult or costly.

Interesting. Very interesting.

Thankyou for the information, I appreciate it.

Honestly, part of it is that I really dislike Paradox, always have and probably always will (from both Ascension and Awakening). I think mages should be able to cast magic.

Though I have to admit Awakening 2e Paradox is much nicer, cleaner, to me than 1e or Ascension, so that is really cool.

But yeah, I see what they are trying to do. I also see how Reach is given, and I think that its a really cool system. I just kind of wish that there were more ways to get free Raises.

That said Gnosis + Arcanum as base spellcasting dice pool (and oh boy did it take me a while to find the sentence that says that as its not like bolded or anything as it is in other editions) and then modified by Yantras and Rotes and other such things before even rolling dice is very interesting.

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
      If you want more free Reach, at least for younger mages, that's one of the big reasons to invest in Rotes (though they maintain usefulness for more experienced mages). You're going to find mechanics that boost Yantras, which in turn increase your dice-pool, and thus you can absorb more penalties from spell factors without significantly decreasing the odds of casting the spell.
      Oh yeah, totally. I honestly really like Rotes as a concept and a mechanical system. So I totally see my mage character making great use of them, hehe.

Also yeah, the Yantra system is really nifty. I totally could see a mage character stacking the deck so to speak by adding them in order to make some nifty effects 'easier' to do.

---

I do want to be blatent on one point - I actually really love the 2e Awakening magic system. I think the dice pool, the dice penalty system, the element of Reach and Spell factors are all very brilliant. Which is why I want to sort of smooth out the edges, to make the whole thing even more perfect for me.
      Last edited by LordHeru; 10-19-2020, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Paradox isn't that big of a drawback in 2e also. At low gnosis, each extra reach grants it just one dice, and you can absorb it with wisdom. You'll probably be rolling more dices than the paradox, before considering that you can even reduce the pool with mana. The only place where paradox starts to grow to numbers where it usually rolls more dices than your average wisdom mage is at gnosis 5-6, but at that point you also have a lot of mana per turn for mitigation.

And even if you fail the roll, you just get the paradox condition. The spell can still work, and often one spell is enough to end a threat or escape some danger/obstacle.
        Last edited by empe999; 10-21-2020, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X