The Other Five Paths

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Other Five Paths

This topic is intended to provide the current form of my “Ten Watchtowers” concept. Each of the next five posts will be dedicated to one of the new Paths, with the eventual goal of fleshing out all five of them to the same extent as the official five Watchtowers.

The Existing Legacies are there if you want to co-opt any of the existing Legacies for use with the new Paths instead of the existing ones. They’re a work in progress. I intend to split this list into two parts: those existing Legacies that are conceptually a better fit for the new Path than for the original Path, and those existing Legacies that should only be assigned to the new Path if the original Path gets dropped from the game. For the Elemental Masteries, I attempted to assign one to each Path, avoiding the five already expicitly associated with the traditional five Paths. I'm missing only an elemental association for the Hieraoidos.

The New Legacies are ideas for Legacies that build on aspects of the Path’s imagery and do not already exist. I’d like at least two per Path, not counting Elemental Tamers or Summoners-style Legacies.

To-do list:
    • Add a proper Description to each Path.
    • Path Tools.
    • New Legacies writeups.
    • the Path's Abyssal reflection.
    • one Astral Citadel and two Aeons for each Path.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 05-21-2014, 09:28 AM.

Cælum
    Astrologers on the Path of Discovery,
    Scions of the Watchtower of the Hermium Mirror in the Realm of the Firmament,
    Kingdom of Vision, Abode of Stars
    Path Attribute: Composure
    Ruling Arcana: Space and Fate
    Inferior Arcanum: Life
    Nimbus: "Watchful"
    Tarot: the Star
    Common Virtue and Vice: Faith and Greed
    Existing Legacies:Subtle Ones, Threnodists, Tamers of Light, Sphinxes, Thrice-Great, House of Ariadne?
    New Legacies: a Summoner Legacy that calls the Stars down for guidance.
    The Cælum were very loosely based off of the historical antecedents of Mage: the Ascension’s Void Engineers: the Void Seekers and the Celestial Masters. Fate is for when they look to the heavens for guidance about the future; Space is for when they look to the heavens for guidance about the world around them. The Stars than inhabit the Firmament are generally humanoid figures, inspired by the stars in C.S. Lewis’ Narnia series (esp. Voyage of the Dawn Treader); it’s a notion that has also been used by Neil Gaiman in Stardust and Endless Nights.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 05-19-2014, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Chrysopos
      Alchemists on the Path of Excellence,
      Scions of the Watchtower of the Copper Mallet in the Realm of Utopia,
      Kingdom of Perfection, Abode of Archetypes.
      Path Attribute: Composure
      Ruling Arcana: Matter and Prime
      Inferior Arcanum: Fate
      Nimbus: "Perfectionist"
      Tarot: Temperance
      Common Virtue and Vice: Prudence and Greed
      Existing Legacies: Uncrowned Kings, Daksha, Scions of God, Transhuman Engineers, Tamers of Iron, Forge Masters
      New Legacies: a Summoner Legacy that draws upon “Platonic Archetypes” of things.
      The theme of this Path was intended to encompass all mystics centered on the notion of magical items, not just practitioners of Supernal Alchemy — though they tend to excel in that, too. Prime was selected for the alchemists to represent the raw building blocks of reality, and because of its usefulness in working with Imbued Items of all sorts.
      Last edited by Dataweaver; 05-19-2014, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Epikrateia
        Sorcerers on the Path of Mastery; scions of the Watchtower of the Brazen Lamp in the Realm of Mount Qaf, Kingdom of the Living Elements, Abode of the Djinn.
        Path Attribute: Resolve
        Ruling Arcana: Forces and Spirit
        Inferior Arcanum: Prime
        Nimbus: "Inflaming"
        Tarot: the Emperor
        Common Virtue and Vice: Justice and Wrath
        Existing Legacies: Clavicularius, Tamers of Sands
        New Legacies: Djinn Summoners?
        This is a slightly modified version of the Watchtower of Brass and Flame from the Mage Chronicler’s Guide. I changed the name to conform to the naming scheme used by every other Watchtower (but tried to keep the essence of “Brass and Flame” in the new name), and I changed the Path Attribute from Composure to Resolve to reflect the more forceful personalities I envisioned them having.
        Last edited by Dataweaver; 05-19-2014, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Hieraoidos
          Bards on the Path of Enlightenment,
          Scions of the Watchtower of the Tin Flute in the Realm of the Akasha,
          Kingdom of Stories, Abode of Zeitgeists
          Ruling Arcana: Time and Mind
          Inferior Arcanum: Space
          Nimbus: "Iconic"
          Tarot: the Magician
          Common Virtue and Vice: Charity and Sloth
          Existing Legacies: Perfected Adepts, Daoine?, House of Ariadne?, Pygmalions, Stone Scribes, Skalds
          New Legacies: Ecstatics who channel Zeitgeists
          Nearly every time I’ve seen someone do a Legacy or Path featuring Time, it has been forward-looking; so I wanted to do something aligned more with the past. These folk are based on celtic bards and nordic skalds; they’re storytellers, entertainers, and keepers of ancient wisdom. I drew imagery and concepts from Mage: the Ascension’s Akashic Brotherhood (for the Akashic Record) and the Cult of Ecstasy (for the Zeitgeists).
          Last edited by Dataweaver; 05-19-2014, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Palinoros
            Druids on the Path of Balance, Scions of the Watchtower of the Wooden Chalice in the Realm of Yggdrasil,
            Kingdom of Seasons, Abode of Serpents
            Ruling Arcana: Life and Death
            Inferior Arcanum: Time
            Nimbus: "Patient"
            Tarot: Wheel of Fortune
            Common Virtue and Vice: Temperance and Envy
            Existing Legacies: Orphans of Proteus, Walkers in the Mists, Sodality of the Tor, Dreamspeakers, Tamers of Trees, Tamers of Blood?, Thread Cutters
            New Legacies:
            I wanted to build a Path out of the pairing of Life and Death, and took European paganism (particularly the druids of the British Islands) as my inspiration. I'm not 100% satisfied with the choice of denizens; alternatives I've considered include Ent-like treefolk and Dryads. It's possible that the denizens aligned with Life should tend toward dryad-like imagery while the ones aligned with Death get Serpent-like imagery; but that leaves me without an overall name for the both of them other than an overly-vague terms such as "Gaean".

This Path differs from the Thyrsus in that it’s more of a “Circle of Life” thing than an “eat or be eaten” thing: nature green in growth and decay rather than nature red in tooth and claw.
            Last edited by Dataweaver; 05-19-2014, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Great stuff! If I ever wanted to add new Paths to game ( or maybe use interesting pre-Watchtower Archmaster ) I will go for this ones. Really great job with them.

My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Elemental Masteries: I've associated the Caelum with Light, the Chrysopos with Iron, the Epikrateia with Sand, and the Palinoros with Trees. Unfortunately, none of the "unused" existing Elemental Masteries seem suitable for the Hieraoidos; so I'll probably have to make one up. Any suggestions?

Comment

No idea for the Hieraoidos, but the Chrysopos should definitely have a legacy which uses the power of crystals and physical correspondences (pigeon blood, verbena, rubies and "the correct time"), syphoning out the supernal power hidden in the material world.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                    Elemental Masteries: I've associated the Caelum with Light, the Chrysopos with Iron, the Epikrateia with Sand, and the Palinoros with Trees. Unfortunately, none of the "unused" existing Elemental Masteries seem suitable for the Hieraoidos; so I'll probably have to make one up. Any suggestions?
                    Would be easier with a list of possible ones. I don't even know where Tamers of Light, etc. is from.

My first thought is Sound. Fire would also fit.

I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
                    An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
                    Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

Comment

Legacies: the Ancient. The official ones are Tamers of the Cave (Mastigos), Tamers of Fire (Obrimos), Tamers of Rivers (Thyrsus), Tamers of Stone (Moros), Tamers of Winds (Acanthus); Tamers of Trees, Tamers of Iron; Tamers of Ice, Tamers of Rain; Tamers of Light; Tamers of Sand; and Tamers of Blood. Taking out the five that are known to be associated with the original five Paths, that leaves seven official Elemental Masteries that could be associated with the new Paths; six if you disregard the possibly Left-Handed and thought to be extinct Tamers of Blood. Those six are Trees, Iron, Ice, Rain, Light, and Sand.

A big problem here is that all we know about them is their names and what regions of the world they’re least rare in: Trees and Iron hail from the Far East; Ice and Rain hail from Russia and its neighbors; Light hails from South America; and Sand hails from Australia (which admittedly makes it less of a good fit for the Middle Eastern flavored Epikrateia). You could probably get a better sense of what each is like by researching the elemental systems native to those regions (e.g., Iron and Trees probably partake of a five-element Earth-Fire-Water-Wood-Metal system common in China).

Given the lack of information, I’m taking multiple shots in the dark when I assign them to the new Paths.

Comment

Ice would fit better than Rain for a past-focused path. I could imagine them reading history from glaciers or something.

I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
                        An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
                        Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

Comment

I would say the Tamers of Blood, instead. They can read the family history of a person, and they use their own body as books - scars of battle, hairs combed in a certain way, etc. On the other hand, they can read the body of a person, knowing which illness they have (and they parents, and childrens, had and will have), why they have a certain broken bone, etc...

Comment

I wonder how would having new paths would effect the Citadels and the Aeons in the Astral- would there be new Citadels, with the same Aeon but different couples at each one? Or maybe each would have its own Aeons, each represent a different way to interpenetrated the same Arcana (which may be where the old Aeon of Fate is now)? Or perhaps there are no Citadels, just the old 11 Aeons?,

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by Baroqo View Post
                              I would say the Tamers of Blood, instead. They can read the family history of a person, and they use their own body as books - scars of battle, hairs combed in a certain way, etc. On the other hand, they can read the body of a person, knowing which illness they have (and they parents, and childrens, had and will have), why they have a certain broken bone, etc...
                              I’d rather stay clear of the Tamers of Blood, if for no other reason than they’re generally thought to be extinct.

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                              I wonder how would having new paths would effect the Citadels and the Aeons in the Astral- would there be new Citadels, with the same Aeon but different couples at each one? Or maybe each would have its own Aeons, each represent a different way to interpenetrated the same Arcana (which may be where the old Aeon of Fate is now)? Or perhaps there are no Citadels, just the old 11 Aeons?,
                              Since the Aeons are aligned with the Arcana rather than the Paths, there would most likely still be eleven Aeons. However, there would also be eleven Citadels, since the Citadels are aligned with the Watchtowers. We could go one of two ways from there: either have ten of the Aeons pull double-duty in two different Citadels each, or draw a one-to-one relationship between the Aeons and the Citadels.

If we do the former, each Aeon might take on an alternate identity when serving in the new Citadels. This would involve working up five Citadels and ten Aeon-identities.

If we were to do the latter, I’d be inclined to associate the Aeons associated with the Subtle Arcana with the Citadels associated with the original five Paths, while the Aeons associated with the Gross Arcana would be associated with the Citadels associated with the five new Paths. That is, the Aeons of Prime, Fate, Mind, Spirit and Death would remain associated with the original five Citadels, while the Aeons of Forces, Life, Matter, Space, and Time would be replaced by new ones suited to the new Citadels.

On the basis that these five new Paths supply a complete system that could replace the original five Paths if the Storyteller is so inclined, we need five new Citadels and two new Aeons for each.

Oh: and the Cælum Citadel needs Lucifer (the Fallen Morning Star) as one of it Aeons.
                              Last edited by Dataweaver; 05-21-2014, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X