Magi History of the 1900s?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magi History of the 1900s?

I'm a MTAC refugee who earlier this year finally got around to diving into MTAW and it's managed to thoroughly enchant me to a near obsessive level. I'm currently building my library, and if work would stop stealing time away from me, I'd just go and read through all of the splats in succession. However, my players are restless and urging me to get going, I have a campaign idea that I'm working on, but in order for it to have campaign integrity I need to get my historical ducks in a row. There was a smallish smattering of notes regarding the Awakened Societies histories in the base rule book, but not enough for the purposes of my budding campaign.

To that end, I was wondering if any of the splats in production go into greater detail of what the Awakened were doing throughout the 1900s to possibly shorten my reading time? I picked up Mage: Noir already, but its more about playing characters in that time period, addressing 1940s onward with very broad/shallow brushstrokes. I was looking for stuff where Magi involvement was given some attention in major battles/events/movements throughout the century to either use as is or draw inspiration from, and none of the splats stand out as a source towards that end.

To give an idea of what I'm looking for, I'm considering how Pentacle and Seers from various nations moved against one another from 1900 onwards, i.e. during the rise of occultism in the early 1900s, and especially in WWI & II. TIA for your suggestions.

Reality is a matter of perception, challenging one's own or that of others is not a crime, it is a service.

Based on a summarized version of the timeline , I would say the Silver Ladder book is the next place to look. I would also suggest going through the story hooks thread for any plot hooks that fit the era, or some that are aligned enough to the story's themes to buy you time.

Welcome to MtAw, hope you all have a blast !
    Last edited by KaiserAfini; 11-15-2020, 12:27 AM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
    The Szary Stra┼╝nik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

Comment

Given how central Mysteries are to the game, I would personally recommend checking out the 1001 Mysteries thread (it doesn't actually have that many).

As to history, unfortunately the developers deliberately shy away from nailing things down like that. Part of their design philosophy is to give Story tellers a toolbox that you then get to use to create your own sandbox. The chapter on locations, chapter 7 of the core rulebook, gives ideas for what a city with a Major Mystery might initially look like. However, even then certain details will be withheld so that any given Storyteller doesn't feel beholden to those details.

That being said, you can get small glimpses here and there about people and places with things like the Anthology, the order books, the fiction between the chapters, Dark Eras, and chapter 7.
      Last edited by Falcon777; 11-17-2020, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
        Based on a summarized version of the timeline , I would say the Silver Ladder book is the next place to look. I would also suggest going through the story hooks thread for any plot hooks that fit the era, or some that are aligned enough to the story's themes to buy you time.

Welcome to MtAw, hope you all have a blast !
        Originally posted by Falcon777 View Post
        Given how central Mysteries are to the game, I would personally recommend checking out the 1001 Mysteries thread (it doesn't actually have that many).

As to history, unfortunately the developers deliberately shy away from nailing things down like that. Part of their design philosophy is to give Story tellers a toolbox that you then get to use to create your own sandbox. The chapter on locations, chapter 7 of the core rulebook, gives ideas for what a city with a Major Mystery might initially look like. However, even then certain details will be withheld so that any given Storyteller doesn't feel beholden to those details.

That being said, you can get small glimpses here and there about people and places with things like the Anthology, the order books, the fiction between the chapters, Dark Eras, and chapter 7.

Thanks, I had time this evening to read all the recommendations and was able to sketch out a timeline with plenty of Mysteries and alt-history contingencies, making my time hopping mage chronicle taking shape nicely thanks to those recommendations. Much obliged.

Reality is a matter of perception, challenging one's own or that of others is not a crime, it is a service.

Comment

Working...
        X