Questions about soulstones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about soulstones

What happens to a soulstone when the mage who created it dies? Does it crumble and disappear or lasts indefinitely?

Is it possible to destroy a soulstone in any way? What happens to the Gnosis of the mage who creates it? Does she recover the lost Gnosis or is it permanently lost?

Can a Tremere lich consume a soulstone in order to get the part of a soul? Or construct a "whole" soul using different soulstones?

What are the real advantages of creating a soulstone? Only the possibility of creating a Demesne and using it as a Dedicated Tool?

And, if you have the soulstone of another mage, what can you do with it? Because you cannot use it to create a Demesne or as a magical tool, so you can only use it to mask your Nimbus and as a sympathetic connection with the creator?

The souls stones persists after the death of the creator.
    The soulstone is a small physical item, and it can be destroyed by normal damage.
    The soul stone creation doesn t subtract Gnosis, it reduces the maximum potential, and after the soul stone destruction the limit disappears.

About the Tremere related questions, i don t know, but maybe you ll find answers in the Nameless and accursed book.

Your soul stone is a dedicated magical tool with a +2 bonus, 1 more than usual.
    The sympathetic connection and extention of the perhipheral mage sight could also be useful.

Other mages soul stone can be used for demesne creation and as a tool, in fact if the creator Gnosis is higher than yours the tool gives a +3 bonus!

You can find other useful tricks about soul stones in Signs of sorcery

Comment

Originally posted by Andarea View Post
      What happens to a soulstone when the mage who created it dies? Does it crumble and disappear or lasts indefinitely?
      It lasts indefinitely.

Is it possible to destroy a soulstone in any way? What happens to the Gnosis of the mage who creates it? Does she recover the lost Gnosis or is it permanently lost?
      "The effects of making a soul stone don’t wear off unless the
      object is destroyed, in which case the creator is immediately
      aware of the change and the lost potential Gnosis is restored."

Can a Tremere lich consume a soulstone in order to get the part of a soul? Or construct a "whole" soul using different soulstones?
      No to both questions. Soul stones are related to souls, but still distinctly separate things.

What are the real advantages of creating a soulstone? Only the possibility of creating a Demesne and using it as a Dedicated Tool?
      Demesnes and Yantras are the main advantages. If you're desperate enough you could also trade it away, but it's not recommended.

And, if you have the soulstone of another mage, what can you do with it? Because you cannot use it to create a Demesne or as a magical tool, so you can only use it to mask your Nimbus and as a sympathetic connection with the creator?
      You can definitely use it as a magical tool Yantra. You can also study them to learn its creator's Legacy and even join it. Having another mage's soul stone is also a pretty good bargaining chip, as per the three favours system.

Signs of Sorcery goes into more details about using soul stones (both your own and others) as Yantras (including the effects of Dedicating them) and has a few spells that can do a few different things with soul stones.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

I agree with the previous answers, except for the fact that the soulstone lasts indefinitely. I don't seem to find any reference to it in the Corebook or Signs of Sorcery, did I miss something?

It doesn't seem well to me that the soulstone lasts forever unless destroyed. A Demesne is so useful that I cannot imagine a lot of mages won't try to get this advantage with the only drawback of not being able to reach Gnosis 10 (a drawback that can be reverted absorving the soulstone again!), so the world would be full of soulstones of mages who died before they thought they'd need to unlock that last step in their illumination.

Also, the soulstones are part of the potential illumination of an awakened soul. At some point that soul will be cleansed and reborn, and maybe even awakened again... Does that potential illumination remain locked for the soul if he doesn't find a soulstone that is not part of himself anymore?

It makes much more sense that the soulstones are destroyed once the mage dies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sedda00 View Post
          It's been a thing since 1e that you can use the soul stone of a deceased mage for various purposes, including learning an otherwise extinct Legacy. Signs of Sorcery goes into it a bit.

Resident Lore-Hound
          Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Sedda00 View Post
            I agree with the previous answers, except for the fact that the soulstone lasts indefinitely. I don't seem to find any reference to it in the Corebook or Signs of Sorcery, did I miss something?

It doesn't seem well to me that the soulstone lasts forever unless destroyed. A Demesne is so useful that I cannot imagine a lot of mages won't try to get this advantage with the only drawback of not being able to reach Gnosis 10 (a drawback that can be reverted absorving the soulstone again!), so the world would be full of soulstones of mages who died before they thought they'd need to unlock that last step in their illumination.

Also, the soulstones are part of the potential illumination of an awakened soul. At some point that soul will be cleansed and reborn, and maybe even awakened again... Does that potential illumination remain locked for the soul if he doesn't find a soulstone that is not part of himself anymore?

From Signs of Sorcery's table on Order Availability Ratings on page 96:
            "Character must return it after three services rendered to creator, if alive, or Order if not; +1 if stone from higher Gnosis mage"

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Nice, I totally missed that. Thanks!

Comment

Soulstones actually have very little to do with souls. It's basically a misnomer. It would be more accurate to have called them gnosisstones. They relate to souls only insofar as gnosis relates to the mage's soul (a fairly hazy relationship). The spells in S&S that do interesting things with soulstones all utilize Prime and not Death (I think, going from memory) because Prime has the Magic purview and is best suited for manipulating a thing "imbued" with a "chunk" of gnosis.

Comment

Yeah, soulstones persist. Ancient soulstones of the long dead have been mentioned in the 1e line, and Signs updated many of the old uses of them.

Un 1e, Tremere *could* actually eat soul stones, although it wasn't as good as a real soul. There's a sidebar called Soul Stone Soup somewhere. Maybe Tome of the Mysteries? I don't know if the twice-updated and more fully realised Tremere can or not.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

Working...
                  X