What Decides The Experience of An Awakening? [Both Editions]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Decides The Experience of An Awakening? [Both Editions]

Hi Folks. I have a complicated question,what decides the imagery,experience and overall event of an Awakening? What does the Mage to be sees,hears,smells touches tastea and overall senses during the process? Is there any difference between 1e and 2e awakenings?
    Last edited by Nicolas Milioni; 01-22-2021, 10:14 PM.

2e's supplemental book Signs of Sorcery answers some of these questions in its 6th chapter. If you haven't got that book yet, get moving because it's a good one.

To partially answer your questions: every awakening is different, so trying to nail down what is experienced is better done per each game and situation.
    Also, the player and ST determine what the character's experience is like. There are other threads on this forum that give some description, but I would heavily lean on the imagery found in the gnosis section of the book, as well as the path descriptions. Honestly there's a lot of potential inspiration in the books. Just look for it and you'll find it.

(For this next part, if it doesn't apply just ignore it.)
    If, however, you are looking for a more definitive answer that always works, here's my recommendation: stop. This is a storytelling game, a game where you as player, and/or you as the storyteller work together with the other players to create a fun experience. The lack of explicitly, nailed down answers to many things in the game is a deliberate design choice, especially considering one of the biggest themes of the game is Mysteries. It's up to you how an awakening would go; examples can be found here and there, but the more you lean into the path imagery and descriptions, the less work you've gotta do.

If, on the other hand, you are asking why mages awaken at all, I'll go ahead and paraphrase SOS: three things are needed for a person to awaken: a soul that is ready, a confrontation with the Lie, and a call by a watchtower.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon777 View Post
      2e's supplemental book Signs of Sorcery answers some of these questions in its 6th chapter. If you haven't got that book yet, get moving because it's a good one.

To partially answer your questions: every awakening is different, so trying to nail down what is experienced is better done per each game and situation.
      Also, the player and ST determine what the character's experience is like. There are other threads on this forum that give some description, but I would heavily lean on the imagery found in the gnosis section of the book, as well as the path descriptions. Honestly there's a lot of potential inspiration in the books. Just look for it and you'll find it.

(For this next part, if it doesn't apply just ignore it.)
      If, however, you are looking for a more definitive answer that always works, here's my recommendation: stop. This is a storytelling game, a game where you as player, and/or you as the storyteller work together with the other players to create a fun experience. The lack of explicitly, nailed down answers to many things in the game is a deliberate design choice, especially considering one of the biggest themes of the game is Mysteries. It's up to you how an awakening would go; examples can be found here and there, but the more you lean into the path imagery and descriptions, the less work you've gotta do.

If, on the other hand, you are asking why mages awaken at all, I'll go ahead and paraphrase SOS: three things are needed for a person to awaken: a soul that is ready, a confrontation with the Lie, and a call by a watchtower.
      Thanks. I was wondering how specialized it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post

Thanks. I was wondering how specialized it is.
        Specialized...can you elaborate?

If you mean how unique it is, then the answer is that each one is unique. Otherwise I'd venture to say that any mage of a path has more chance of sharing symbology and imagery with someone on the same path than a mage of a different path during their awakenings.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon777 View Post

Specialized...can you elaborate?

If you mean how unique it is, then the answer is that each one is unique. Otherwise I'd venture to say that any mage of a path has more chance of sharing symbology and imagery with someone on the same path than a mage of a different path during their awakenings.
          I do mean unique,thanks!

Comment

No problem.

Btw, in case you missed it (I know I did in my first read through because I jumped straight to the magic chapter), chapter 2 of the core rule book has a portion that describes awakening. It doesn't have as much information as chapter 6 of Signs of Sorcery, but the descriptions there can also help out.

Comment

A colaboration with the player. They have their Shadow Name and background ready, then they figure out how it looks like in the lens of their Path. Next they add some plot hooks, details that will reappear later in the story, symbols and omens. Awakenings are fantastic ways to foreshadow events, secrets or answers. The Watchtower showed the mage important stuff, but they didn't have the context or experience to understand what it all means.

Weave all the threads of the cabal's Awakenings together, tie them up thematically in a way that resonates with the tone your players are looking for and you will have a solid foundation upon which to build the big picture of the chronicle.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
              The Szary Stra┼╝nik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

Comment

Working...
              X