Need Help With My Anti-Mage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help With My Anti-Mage

Hey I been surprise made to run a mage games. First time running.

I have a player who wants to be a counter spell master. He wants a spell that is like a magic damping field. So making it harder to cast magic within it and maybe make spells less powerful.
    He basically is a big buff guy that wants to fight other mages using his way of fighting (his fist) then dealing with fireballs.

Well I have looked but I have not found anything in the books that works for this, so if there is such a spell I would be really happy to find an example.

If not how should I make a spell like this, it seems like something prime should be able to do. I just doing want it to be too powerful or too weak.
    • It should be a spell that allows auto clash of wills in the area of effect
    Potency could be how many times he can do the clash of will for example.
    • It should something that gives a penalty to spell casting in the area of effect
    Could do the same for this as the first example. Also I could make the player choose between how many times it works and how big the penalty

As im sure that there is at least one person on here who has ran mage how do you think I should do this?

Prime 2 Shielding against all Supernal Magic.
    Duration Primary, maybe costs a Mana?
    Withstand: maybe? Resolve if it is Withstood, probably.
    Instant Cast, Advanced: Scale Area.

Something like that might work to allow a Clash of Wills against every Supernal Spell, though it's not technically Counterspelling.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

Oooo I forgot about magic being withstood. I like the idea that maybe the magic you do cast might be nerfed a bit. So maybe a lightening bolt that has been cast with 5B does 3B in the area of effect. Do you think something like that would work?

Comment

Originally posted by Mental-State View Post
        Oooo I forgot about magic being withstood. I like the idea that maybe the magic you do cast might be nerfed a bit. So maybe a lightening bolt that has been cast with 5B does 3B in the area of effect. Do you think something like that would work?
        Sure, AOE Wards and Signs, would give everything in the area Withstand X, where X is Potency.

[edit]Don't know how useful it would be in preventing the enemy from buffing, since I think they'd still be able to waive Withstand.
        Last edited by proindrakenzol; 01-26-2021, 03:07 PM.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

This plan is the to use Adamant Hand to whack sells off people and make it hard for them to cast more spells

Comment

Regarding the preventing buffs, there's always pulling a Songbird and casting AOE Supernal Dispellation with a potency of <all your spells are gone>

On the mage discord, there's a document with some homebrew meta-casting stuff (which may or may not fly in your game), but one of the Prime 5 spells i remember was an Unmaking spell that caused a clash of wills when the subject of the spell tries to cast something.

Comment

Other Arcana allow Shielding effects that trigger Clashes for effects under their purview (for example, Spirit 2 Ephemeral Shield). If you're feeling generous, you could allow the same thing against spells with Prime 2. However, Wards and Signs basically already serves that purpose without being so all-or-nothing.

Personally, I think Prime 4 (Unraveling practice) would be required for a blanket "any spells cast in the area must succeed in a Clash of wills" effect.
              Last edited by Scriptorian; 01-26-2021, 03:57 PM.

The longer I study science the more I am convinced that it is functionally indistinguishable from what our ancestors would refer to as sorcery. And I would know, being both scientist and sorcerer.

Comment

Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post
                [edit]Don't know how useful it would be in preventing the enemy from buffing, since I think they'd still be able to waive Withstand.
                The only Withstand rating you can choose not to apply is that of your Resistance Attribute. Wards and Signs adds a new Withstand rating.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Scriptorian View Post
                  Other Arcana allow Shielding effects that trigger Clashes for effects under their purview (for example, Spirit 2 Ephemeral Shield). If you're feeling generous, you could allow the same thing against spells with Prime 2. However, Wards and Signs basically already serves that purpose without being so all-or-nothing.

Personally, I think Prime 4 (Unraveling practice) would be required for a blanket "any spells cast in the area must succeed in a Clash of wills" effect.
                  Technically, it should be wards and signs. I don't know why it breaks the trend every other protection effect has.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

The only Withstand rating you can choose not to apply is that of your Resistance Attribute. Wards and Signs adds a new Withstand rating.
                    That's not what the book says:

Originally posted by Mage 2e
                    Withstanding Magic
                    Before dice are rolled for spellcasting, the caster must consider
                    if her subject can Withstand her magic, as it could affect the
                    dice pool and outcome of the casting. The subject of a spell can
                    always choose not to Withstand a spell, but she must consciously
                    choose to do so as a reflexive action.
                    Says nothing about the source of that Withstand, just that it's always up to the subject whether they Withstand or not.

Comment

Says nothing about the source of that Withstand, just that it's always up to the subject whether they Withstand or not.
                      Attack spells aren't withstood.

Comment

Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
                        Attack spells aren't withstood.
                        1) How is that relevant to buff spells or the ability to waive Withstand, which was what was under discussion?

2) Have you actually read Wards and Signs?

Comment

1) How is that relevant to buff spells or the ability to waive Withstand, which was what was under discussion?

2) Have you actually read Wards and Signs?
                          You can't waive withstand with wards and signs only the mage who cast it can.

Comment

That's an overly literal reading that leads to obviously unintentional behaviour.
                            The "consider if her subject can Withstand her magic" obviously refers to the natural Withstand built into the spell which is almost always a Resistance Attribute (or Rank for poor ephemeral entities) rather than any additional Withstand ratings added by other circumstances, and expanding the "can always choose not to Withstand a spell" phrasing from the normal Withstand rating that the paragraph already talks about to all types of Withstand suddenly allows you to easily bypass the Withstand ratings from Sympathetic Range and Temporal Sympathy.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

That's an overly literal reading that leads to obviously unintentional behaviour.
                              The "consider if her subject can Withstand her magic" obviously refers to the natural Withstand built into the spell which is almost always a Resistance Attribute (or Rank for poor ephemeral entities) rather than any additional Withstand ratings added by other circumstances, and expanding the "can always choose not to Withstand a spell" phrasing from the normal Withstand rating that the paragraph already talks about to all types of Withstand suddenly allows you to easily bypass the Withstand ratings from Sympathetic Range and Temporal Sympathy.
                              The subject of a spell cannot waive the Withstand provided by a lack of Temporal or Spatial Sympathy for the same reason they cannot waive the Withstand provided by the Gauntlet: the Withstand provided by Temporal and Spatial Sympathy are the Withstands of Time and Space itself, just like the Gauntlet Strength is the Withstand of the Gauntlet.

The Withstand provided by Wards and Signs is explicitly the Withstand of the subject of Wards and Signs.

Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
                              You can't waive withstand with wards and signs only the mage who cast it can.
                              Do you have a page number or dev statement to support that? Because your assertion contradicts the plain text of the book.

But back to Mental-State's question:

Such a strong focus on anti-Magic and Magic dampening would probably push the Mage towards being branded a Banisher or developing a specialized Legacy (most likely both).

A generalized "add an additional Withstand a la the Gauntlet or Sympathy" would probably be a Prime Weaving (Prime 3) spell, on further consideration, and would have a Mana cost. Something like:

Spell Resistor
                              Practice: Weaving
                              Primary Factor: Potency
                              Withstand: Resolve
                              Cost: 1 Mana
                              Suggested Rote Skills: Intimidation, Occult, Brawl

The mage alters the very property of reality to impede the casting of spells. All spells cast by or onto (or in or into, for an area) the subject treat this spell as an additional source of Withstand with a rating equal to Potency. This does not confer a Withstand to the subject like Wards and Signs, instead it acts as a barrier to casting at all, similar to casting across the Gauntlet or via Temporal or Spatial Sympathy.
                              Last edited by proindrakenzol; 01-27-2021, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X