Oblivion, an idea for a mystery.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oblivion, an idea for a mystery.

I was thinking about an idea recently for a mystery location. Within some kind of invisible realm.

A realm of forgotten memories.

Where do the forgotten dead go?

What about the times, places and concepts no one remembers?

A place veiled in mist, filled with uncanny, familiar shadows that you can almost recognize.

A place where, if you linger for too long, you too will be forgotten and absorbed into the deep fog.

Maybe one of the wise has seen this place and survived to tell the tale.

Where and what could such a location be? What could lie within it? Thoughts?

*looking towards the Underworld and the vast Ocean beneath which destroys all names and all attachments forcing the dead to choose between washing away into nothing or being absorbed to the hungry walls of the death*

I think we already have something like that. Have you read Geist 2e?

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

The Underworld is, as mentioned, already similar to what you're describing. It is indeed where the forgotten dead go as long as they don't have other means to cling to the material world. This also includes objects and buildings that aren't remembered by the living.
      More abstract concepts, however, does not typically leave ghosts and thus won't go to the Underworld, and the aesthetics about mists is not generally applicable; the closest would be a Dead Dominion where those who fail to collect enough Essence gets absorbed by the mists as a variation of getting stuck in the walls.

That said, just because the Underworld exists doesn't mean something similar couldn't coexist. Esoecially not since the Underworld isn't a perfect fit. To differentiate the two, I'd recommend having this other realm be ambiguous about whether only the forgotten dead end up here or if the dead ending up here is the reason they become forgotten, or if they are destined to become forgotten and may end up here in anticipation rather than it being the cause.
      If tying it to more abstract concepts as well, it might be a rare Mystery to encounter both because of how rare it would be to find (after all, you couldn't really anticipate it since you'd likely remember what it would show up to swallow), but also because it requires both Death and another subtle Arcanum to properly interact with, depending on the concept which ks forgotten. I.e. a part of forgotten history is being absorbed into this realm, and you'd need both Death 3 and Time 3 in order to pass through the same Iris. An idea is forgotten and you'd need both Death 3 and Mind 3 to follow where the Temenotic realm is going.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

What about Duat? When your life and memories no longer keep you afloat in the Underworld, Oblivion is ready for you,and the Judges are ready to pick you apart for whatever is left before she gets it.

I will admit, I don't play out Duat as "just a lower depth lacking lifeforce". Mummy is meant to be Timeless, so the roit I went with is that Duat is the End of All Things, the restaurant at the end of time at the edge of the universe. The Underworld describes what it's like if you HOLD ON and don't go down. But Duat is what happens after. When the stars burn out. When Death itself begins to die. When you only have a few moments (that, in your perspective, last forever) before She takes youor you ascend beyond Her. I play Duat as the endgame, as the ultimate finish. An individual soul gets there by going to the Sea of Fragments, but there IS something beyond. Judgement, wandering, pain, and the last little bits of you holding on as you finally see the End of Time for yourself and face it head on. What happens then is entirely up to the storyteller, but for some, they make it through and ascend. For others, they're ground into nothingness beyond even what the ocean of fragments does. For a few, cursed with immortality, they have to return from it. But Duat is the end of days. After the heavens fall and heat death consumes the cosmos,Duat awaits. Azar sits silent as the Judges hungrily find whatever is left of you, Ammut the Devourerer takes the rest,and maybe if you are lucky a bit of you goes back to the beginning when everything was empty and raw and full of potential
        Last edited by Cleverest of Things; 02-05-2021, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleverest of Things View Post
          What about Duat? When your life and memories no longer keep you afloat in the Underworld, Oblivion is ready for you,and the Judges are ready to pick you apart for whatever is left before she gets it.

I will admit, I don't play out Duat as "just a lower depth lacking lifeforce". Mummy is meant to be Timeless, so the roit I went with is that Duat is the End of All Things, the restaurant at the end of time at the edge of the universe. The Underworld describes what it's like if you HOLD ON and don't go down. But Duat is what happens after. When the stars burn out. When Death itself begins to die. When you only have a few moments (that, in your perspective, last forever) before She takes youor you ascend beyond Her. I play Duat as the endgame, as the ultimate finish. An individual soul gets there by going to the Sea of Fragments, but there IS something beyond. Judgement, wandering, pain, and the last little bits of you holding on as you finally see the End of Time for yourself and face it head on. What happens then is entirely up to the storyteller, but for some, they make it through and ascend. For others, they're ground into nothingness beyond even what the ocean of fragments does. For a few, cursed with immortality, they have to return from it. But Duat is the end of days. After the heavens fall and heat death consumes the cosmos,Duat awaits. Azar sits silent as the Judges hungrily find whatever is left of you, Ammut the Devourerer takes the rest,and maybe if you are lucky a bit of you goes back to the beginning when everything was empty and raw and full of potential
          So my idea could be connected to Duat? I've never played mummy so I know nothing about any of its lore. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Recusant Lied View Post

So my idea could be connected to Duat? I've never played mummy so I know nothing about any of its lore. Lol
            It could be, or it could be the Ocean of Fragments. Both are places that the Dead go when they've pretty much got nowhere else to go. In 2e, the Underworld itself fits what you're describing, as does Duat. Mummies go through Duat every time they die, but they always come back from it because of the horrific necromancy done to them. Most of the Dead never return from it. But in the Mummy cosmology, the Underworld proper is seen as the Caverns beneath Twilight, and they refer to Duat as even further down than that. It is the place of ultimate judgement, where everything left of a person is painfully stripped away and there is only a slight chance to make it past the Judges and move on to a better place. Most of the Judged are found lacking, and are consigned to Oblivion (who the Mummies call Ammut, the Devourer). In 2e there are even rules for running scenes down there.

I personally love both Geist and Mummy, and run a long term crossover game, so I've had to come up with ways that Stygia, the Underworld, and Duat fit together that don't lessen the impact of all three. Due to the way the Chronicles of Darkness works, it's possible to play it different ways per Chronicle. But for my long term group, I decided that Duat is the Last Place, where even Death goes to die. It may or may not work for you. If you haven't explored Mummy or Geist, I would highly recommend both, because they have very cool ideas of how bleak and sucky the afterlife is, and both pretty much address the ideas you are talking about. Geist is, after all, the inheritor if Wraith: the Oblivion. And Mummy has always been it's sistercousinwife regarding death, eternity, the afterlife, and the End.

Comment

Working...
            X