Goetic Summons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goetic Summons

This past weekend my group started toying around with the Astral and Goetia. I've been reading up on a few things and I am slowly getting the hang of the concepts, but we got hung up on a mechanical detail within the Mind 3 spell, Goetic Summons. We fudged the rule and moved past it during the session, but now I'm trying to make sure we get it right next time, and maybe someone here can help.

So the RAW say: "The mage sends out a call to the nearest Goetia within her sensory range," which confuses me. What exactly is "sensory range" when you're pulling something from the astral?
    But I take this to mean you can have a random Goetia appear, or specify what you're looking for in broader terms. The book even makes that statement: "She may send a general call and the nearest Goetia will answer, or she can specify the type of entity by its Resonance."

So I'm kind of ignoring the "sensory range" comment for now unless someone here can set my thinking straight.

Additionally, the Reach options that allow a mage to summon Goetia from the Oneiros, Temenos, or Anima Mundi also confuses me a bit. Assuming we're summoning Goetia without these reach options, the Goetia must be coming from one of these three places... right? Do these Reach options allow the mage to further specify the Goetia they're summoning?

Thanks for helping a tired, kind of brain-dead Mage Storyteller.

Originally posted by mofous View Post
    Additionally, the Reach options that allow a mage to summon Goetia from the Oneiros, Temenos, or Anima Mundi also confuses me a bit. Assuming we're summoning Goetia without these reach options, the Goetia must be coming from one of these three places... right?
    Without those Reach options, you are summoning a Goetia that is in whatever part of reality you are in. Under normal circumstances, unless you're casting the spell inside the Astral, this will be limited to certain Familiars, visitors riding on other spells, or the products of one or more Mysteries.

Sensory range means sensory range — the default state of the spell calls a Goetia from within the range of your senses. Most Goetia can be identified by their Resonance, since they can't trade Numina for Influence dots and their Influences are directly derived from their concepts.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Sensory range means anything the mage can perceive with their normal senses, without remote viewing. A scrying window or security camera footage is remote viewing. Anything they can perceive with their senses (sight, sound, smell, etc), including those augmented by magic, are within sensory range (such as Zoom In or The Outward and Inward Eye).

The summon "search bar entry" can be as generic ("a spirit of engineering") or as specific ("the goetia of Gordon Freeman") as the caster wants and the closest [Scale] targets are affected.

The basic application of the spell means you would have to enter the target's dwelling zone, such as the Oneiros, Temenos or similar. Not only that, you would need to be in the same subspace as the target (for Gordon it would be the realm of Valve games in the Temenos) and be in the general vicinity to call them. The Reach options simply bypass all those requirements.

Hope that helps.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
      The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

Comment

Okay so I got it pretty wrong. But I get it, the basic application is fairly useless in the Fallen World. Those additionally Reaches give the mage the power to pull the Goetia from further away.

I was trying really hard to give that basic spell more power than it probably deserved.

Thanks for the fast replies! This was very helpful!

Comment

In most cases, this works in the astral only. In some rare cases, there are goetia in twilight that you can summon but you'd need the ability to see goetia in twilight to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by mofous View Post
            Okay so I got it pretty wrong. But I get it, the basic application is fairly useless in the Fallen World. Those additionally Reaches give the mage the power to pull the Goetia from further away.
            Just a small clarification: The Fallen World is basically everything except the Supernal (and the Abyss and the Lower Depths), which includes realms like the Astral, the Shadow and the Underworld.
            But in the material world the base use of Goetic Summons is indeed pretty useless unless you have specific reasons to suspect Goetia is nearby.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Seems to me that the unreaching spell conveys an implication that mages would enter the Astral with some frequency, and even when they don't they are afforded the option to call the goetia*.

I wonder if it might not be a false dichotomy to imagine a distinction between "base spell" and factors applied by Reach. If it might be better to imagine it as all just the one spell with necessary calibrations based on circumstance.

* Dammit Helluva Boss, I liked how I thought this word was pronounced before you corrected me!

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

It also helps to think of (Ephemeral) Summons as spells that flagrantly shouldn’t exist in their published forms but were too iconic to not duct-tape together out of other spells and questionable liberties with the scale and range rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                  Seems to me that the unreaching spell conveys an implication that mages would enter the Astral with some frequency, and even when they don't they are afforded the option to call the goetia*.
                  It's formatted identically to Spirit Summons and Ghost Summons aside from the extra Reach options for deeper layers and the need for an additional extra Arcanum to let it Manifest. Summoning ephemeral beings out of other dimensions is Reach-intensive.

Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
                  In most cases, this works in the astral only. In some rare cases, there are goetia in twilight that you can summon but you'd need the ability to see goetia in twilight to do that.
                  It's a Mind 3 spell and the Mind 2 utility Attainment lets you see Goetia with Mind Sight and detect them with your Periphery.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                    It's a Mind 3 spell and the Mind 2 utility Attainment lets you see Goetia with Mind Sight and detect them with your Periphery.
                    Does it work in twilight?

Comment

Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
                      Does it work in twilight?
                      That is specifically what "lets you see Goetia" means, yes. There would be zero point to it and the equivalent Death and Spirit Attainments otherwise.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

Working...
                      X