Talismans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talismans

Hello, I know that the watchtowers are talismans and I'm fairly confident in my understanding of what a talisman is. However I can't find any other examples or references to talismans besides the watchtowers. Am I missing them or is the concept of talismans something that was devised to describe the watchtowers?

They're from Imperial Mysteries: Artifacts that are also sub-souls of the archmaster (or Supernal divinity) that created them, in the same way an Astra is an Artifact that is also symbolically part of a Supernal God.

It means that the Watchtowers are part of a larger system, which mages can't see.

(Best example of a Talisman, in the way that CLU from Tron: Legacy is my best example of an Ochemata? The One Ring.)

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

Originally posted by Letalis View Post
      Hello, I know that the watchtowers are talismans and I'm fairly confident in my understanding of what a talisman is. However I can't find any other examples or references to talismans besides the watchtowers. Am I missing them or is the concept of talismans something that was devised to describe the watchtowers?
      There haven't been any outside of the watchtowers.

Comment

Thank you both! That is a very good analogy, Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
          They're from Imperial Mysteries: Artifacts that are also sub-souls of the archmaster (or Supernal divinity) that created them, in the same way an Astra is an Artifact that is also symbolically part of a Supernal God.

It means that the Watchtowers are part of a larger system, which mages can't see.

(Best example of a Talisman, in the way that CLU from Tron: Legacy is my best example of an Ochemata? The One Ring.)
          Hi Dave,could you tell me what's the difference between an Astra and a Talisman? i can't seem to understand that by mysellf

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
            Hi Dave,could you tell me what's the difference between an Astra and a Talisman? i can't seem to understand that by mysellf
            An Astra is a tool or implement of a Supernal God — they do things perfectly within the scope of their defined powers. Their masters exercise some control over them and they also cast spells as other Artifacts do, but "this does one thing perfectly at the cost of scraping away at your soul" is a fundamental difference.

A Talisman is just ("just") an Artifact that is also a subsoul with its own will. Like an Astra, it's connected to a powerful Supernal being (or an archmaster on the Road to becoming one), but unlike an Astra, a Talisman is an independent actor. Steal Heaven's Will and you might find yourself answering to whatever power it belongs to, but its Talismanic equivalent might just have its own ideas of what to do about you.

To put it in 1e Changeling terms, it's the difference between a Prop and an Actor — the former is an object, which does not act of its own volition, whereas the latter is a participating component of the god's collective soul ecology.

Resident Lore-Hound
            Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
              An Astra is a tool or implement of a Supernal God — they do things perfectly within the scope of their defined powers. Their masters exercise some control over them and they also cast spells as other Artifacts do, but "this does one thing perfectly at the cost of scraping away at your soul" is a fundamental difference.

A Talisman is just ("just&quot an Artifact that is also a subsoul with its own will. Like an Astra, it's connected to a powerful Supernal being (or an archmaster on the Road to becoming one), but unlike an Astra, a Talisman is an independent actor. Steal Heaven's Will and you might find yourself answering to whatever power it belongs to, but its Talismanic equivalent might just have its own ideas of what to do about you.

To put it in 1e Changeling terms, it's the difference between a Prop and an Actor — the former is an object, which does not act of its own volition, whereas the latter is a participating component of the god's collective soul ecology.
              Thank you Satchel

Comment

Working...
              X