Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would YOU design this spell?

Hello!

Yesterday I was having a conversation with some pals about the game (I'm still learning it) and we tried designing some spells for fun. Some were quite obvious, but some I don't know what would be the proper way to model them, or if they are even possible. Any comments would be very welcome!

- Protection from guns: "Something that protects a friend from bullets unless that friend lies to you."
    We wanted to use Fate, so maybe Fare 2 (ruling / protecting) "guns will jam when shooting at you". Add conditional duration (Infrequent) "until you lie to me". Indefinite duration, so be careful because it'll count against your active spells in the future.

- You never existed: "I want to kill you in the past and everything will work as if you had never existed".
    I don't even know. It sounds like Level 4 (Fraying), maybe Life, maybe Prime (destroying the soul), maybe both? The idea is to create a spell that erases you know and cast it at your past either with time (how?) or with temporal sympathy. Maybe you need as much potency as hit points the target has? I don't know, everything I can model sounds broken. Then there's also the addendum "And everything will work as if you had never existed". Maybe if you cast it at the target's past self, it'll automatically work like this?

- Rain of furious raccoons: "just as the title says"
    Sounds like life 5 (creation), with duration as a primary factor, easily swapped to Scale for more area with +1 reach). "Raining raccoons" instead of "raccoons just appearing out of nowhere" seems like mostly a cosmetic thing so nothing else required. Just for fun, if you wanted the rain to stop after a minute but the raccoons to be permanent, would it be a combined spell or just indefinite duration?

These are more meant as exercises in design than actual spells that could happen during gameplay (maybe the first one is actually useful). What atr your thoughts on these?

Cheers!

1) The easiest way to do protection from guns with Fate is to apply the multiple copies of the Charmed condition. This can be done with simple Exceptional luck.
    I have a Creative thaumaturgy version called plot Armor, which just applies the the Charmed condition per potency, and has a Reach option to reduce damage to 0.

2) Space 5 Quarantine lets you remove an area from space. When you add time 5, it erases the area from time retroactively, so it's possible to do so in game. I would allow it with just Time 5, but you'd need to take penalties for temporal sympathy based on how much you're erasing. If you're erasing everything, you'd have a Withstand of 3 as the subject is presumably vastly different from his baby self.

3) I'd go with just a cosmetic effect on Life Making, and then add duration for the racoons to last longer. You could in theory use Forces 2 to make it rain, combined with Life 4 and Matter 4 to transform water to racoons... but you'll mostly end up with racoons falling from great height and splattering (eww). I'd also allow it as a cosmetic effect on Fate 5 swam of Locusts. A bunch of racoons rain down on the area, covering everyone with dead racoon parts and blood.

Comment

While the multiple Charmed option has a limit of charges, there is a way to make an unlimited armor. Simply use Time 4 and Fate 1. It rewrites the moment so that one of the infinite possible immediate futures takes the damage instead of you. The next moment those branches of probability cease to be, alongside the damage. Fate 1 allows you to fine tune the effect so it only affects bullets. Think of it as using Rewrite History going forward rather than backwards and leveraging the uncertainty of the future.

Unfortunately, this comes with the caveat of being blatantly supernatural, whereas the Charmed option would only be if you had multiple triggers in rapid succession.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
      The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

Comment

Originally posted by Zanchito View Post
        - You never existed: "I want to kill you in the past and everything will work as if you had never existed".
        I don't even know. It sounds like Level 4 (Fraying), maybe Life, maybe Prime (destroying the soul), maybe both? The idea is to create a spell that erases you know and cast it at your past either with time (how?) or with temporal sympathy. Maybe you need as much potency as hit points the target has? I don't know, everything I can model sounds broken. Then there's also the addendum "And everything will work as if you had never existed". Maybe if you cast it at the target's past self, it'll automatically work like this?
        This requires time travel and is modeled by the rules for time travel. You cannot otherwise delete someone from history wholesale and control the outcome into the present.

Resident Lore-Hound
        Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

The first one is just forces shielding. The second one is what satchel says the third one is swarm of locusts which is fate 5.

Comment

1. Forces Shielding with conditional duration. If you really want to only use Fate then, uh, I guess firefights being how they are it seems like just Compelling to subtract Potency from rolls to shoot the subject of the spell?

2. Any kill-spell cast on the target’s past self using temporal sympathy.

3. Create Life. How many raccoons is scale and they can appear anywhere within range. Cast as a combined spell with Control Instincts to make them furious.

Comment

Thanks. Part of the complication with the first one is finding a Fate way to do it. Again, it's just a theoretical exercise, I'm trying to understand the system well so I can help my players translate their ideas into rules.

Also, what would you use as an spell if you want to "hack" into the Pentagon? Typical movie where the smart kid is hammering at the keyboard and the relevant information appears on screen.
              Last edited by Zanchito; 03-15-2021, 07:03 AM. Reason: new question

Comment

Hello!

Yesterday I was having a conversation with some pals about the game (I'm still learning it) and we tried designing some spells for fun. Some were quite obvious, but some I don't know what would be the proper way to model them, or if they are even possible. Any comments would be very welcome!

- Protection from guns: "Something that protects a friend from bullets unless that friend lies to you."
                We wanted to use Fate, so maybe Fare 2 (ruling / protecting) "guns will jam when shooting at you". Add conditional duration (Infrequent) "until you lie to me". Indefinite duration, so be careful because it'll count against your active spells in the future.
                To cause all guns in an area shooting at someone to jam would be Fate 4 Chaos Mastery, specifically "protect a subject from dangerous circumstances." The Fate 2 Attainment Conditional Duration would then be applied.

You would need Time magic and the ability to go back in time to before your target was born and prevent that birth in order to completely excise them from the timeline. Going back into the past and killing the person would cause all their works after that point to be undone.

Keep in mind, though, you can only send someone as far back into the past as their own lifetime, and they inhabit their old body; also, Mages in the present can protect themselves from such shenanigans and Mages in the past can dispel the Time spell.

[Edit] I am limiting my answer to normal practices, Imperial Practices can do more.

- Rain of furious raccoons: "just as the title says"
                Sounds like life 5 (creation), with duration as a primary factor, easily swapped to Scale for more area with +1 reach). "Raining raccoons" instead of "raccoons just appearing out of nowhere" seems like mostly a cosmetic thing so nothing else required. Just for fun, if you wanted the rain to stop after a minute but the raccoons to be permanent, would it be a combined spell or just indefinite duration?
                Creating raccoons to rain from the sky would be Life 5, as you said. If you want the "rain" to last for a minute, you'd have to create a volume of raccoons that would cause a minute's worth of rain (i.e. a fuckton). Indefinite duration would be required for the raccoons to continue existing, but they could be dispelled.

Alternatively, Fate 5's Swarm of Locusts is basically this effect.

Also, what would you use as an spell if you want to "hack" into the Pentagon? Typical movie where the smart kid is hammering at the keyboard and the relevant information appears on screen.
                So, a couple things:

1) Most of the really sensitive data in the Pentagon is going to be airgapped (i.e. not on a network). The only systems accessible remotely would be NIPR (unclassified) and SIPR (secret level). Top Secret and Special Compartmentalized Information just aren't going to be accessible via the internet.
                2) Access to these systems requires both a security certificate and a password, while the security certificate could theoretically be spoofed, I would rule it to be outside the domain of something like Lucky Number; so you're pretty much looking at Forces.

If you want to "hack" something that's not on an internet based system (i.e. not NIPR or SIPR) you're going to need a sympathetic connection to the system you want to hack, then you just need Forces 1 (Knowing) + the Space 2 Sympathetic Range attainment to pull all of the data you want, altering something would be Forces 1 (Compelling) + Sympathetic Range.

tl;dr: Forces 1 and Space 2, plus some Sympathy to the computer system; Fate wouldn't let you do it.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

Except for the airgap issue you could also just buff your Intelligence and Computers and your system’s equipment bonus into the stratosphere.

Comment

Thanks. Part of the complication with the first one is finding a Fate way to do it. Again, it's just a theoretical exercise, I'm trying to understand the system well so I can help my players translate their ideas into rules.

The answer is a magical spell called "don't even try it" cause you KNOW theres gonna be SOME kind of uber powerful supernatural entity in the pentagon (maybe even a powerful pylon/seer mage) thats gonna notice you trying to take its secret incognito files and make your life a living hell.

Comment

Ignore this, for some reason it made my reply twice and there doesnt seem to be a delete option :/

Comment

I wonder if an effect such as making it rain animals might be best suited to a mage finding a way to trigger a local Mystery.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Working...
                        X