Is there a rank limit on Goetia from an Oneiros

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a rank limit on Goetia from an Oneiros

Like I presume there aren't rank 6+ Goetia faffing about within an Oneiros, but is there a hard limit on the Rank that a Goetia from an Oneiros can have, beyond Rank 6 that is??
    Last edited by Caedus; 04-06-2021, 06:52 AM.

I don't think so, beyond what makes sense for the depth of a person's traits or issues. I think it would make sense for a person with, for example, a particularly extreme trauma to have that represented in their Oneiros by a Goetia of Rank 4 or even 5. The daimon's of powerful mages can also tend to be fairly powerful.

I think when it comes to the Oneiros, being limited to the scope of a particular person doesn't necessarily make them weak (although it might make the scope of their Influences narrow).

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

In second edition, there's no hard limits at all. The only things we know (or, at least, what I recall reading) is that the Daimon has Rank based on how powerful the mage is (but no rule or guideline for applying that relationship) and that Aeons are Rank 8. Afaict Goetia in an Oneiros can theoretically breach the Rank 6+ barrier,although I would limit that to extremely exceptional people and/or have it be a result of outside interference.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

For what it’s worth, all of the example Oneiros-originating entities in the 1e Astral Realms book are Rank 2.

My take is that the average person will only have Rank 1 and 2’s, maybe a Rank 3. Anything higher than that is going to be exceptional, and probably the result of either the individual being themselves quite powerful, or some supernatural trauma/tampering.

The longer I study science the more I am convinced that it is functionally indistinguishable from what our ancestors would refer to as sorcery. And I would know, being both scientist and sorcerer.

Comment

I expect many of the Goetia of an archmaster can be quite powerful even without them opting to cast particular spells on them. Daimons might tend to be the strongest Goetia in an Oneiros, but being the personification of a person's core drives for an individual who followed obsession to the point of becoming a kind of demigod?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Working...
          X