Nimbus focal points

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nimbus focal points

It occurred to me a few days ago that the immediate nimbus when activated from spending mana resembles a pulse of light from a emitter. One mana equals one pulse of personal resonance. This led me to wonder what other properties the immediate nimbus shares with light. What interests me most is the idea of focal points, as a well known property of light is to increase in intensity at such a point, inversely proportional to the size of said point. if the nimbus resembles light, then it would seem likely that the strength of the nimbus would increase at that point, proportional to the amount of resonance energy in that point. Even if the nimbus doesn't exhibit such qualities on it's own, a simple weaving spell with forces and prime could bestow such properties could bestow such properties on a mage's nimbus.

The question is what would happen? A focus point size would be determined by a spell or physical lenses. However, as far as I am aware, the game only has rules for the area of effect version. A spell could make practically infinitely small focus point. The resonance energy could be concentrated to such a small point that it has theoretically infinite nimbus strength. How would someone even model that? What would the effects be of the various nimbus enhancing merits?

Anyways this is my first post, ever. If I have messed any of the format up, please let me know. If my post is unclear, please let me know. If this question belongs in another thread, please let me know. I have more questions, somewhat related in concept. Should I make different threads for them, or should I ask them in this thread?

It s an interesting theory, in fact every supernatural being auras seems to behave like some sort of wave, like when they oppose to different auras.
    I m not sure if a nimbus could be focused in something similar to a focal point, but if you assume that both nimbuses and spells are manifestation of supernal symbols, then spells ARE nimbuses focalized on the targets

Comment

Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
      It s an interesting theory, in fact every supernatural being auras seems to behave like some sort of wave, like when they oppose to different auras.
      I m not sure if a nimbus could be focused in something similar to a focal point, but if you assume that both nimbuses and spells are manifestation of supernal symbols, then spells ARE nimbuses focalized on the targets
      Wow, that’s not anything like I was thinking. Which is awesome. With the assumption of spells being in effect being focused nimbuses, the argument could be made that my experiment could result in a new spell. One spawned not directly of the mage, but of the conditions of their nimbus. Which is similar to the description of a Tupla. That has wonderful implications about the nimbus of the rapt. I’m going to have to pull out nameless and accursed to be sure.

I was thinking about the problem from a different angle last night, and I came to the conclusion that a focused nimbus would merely increase the nimbus number that is compared to resolve. That’s kinda boring, so I looked at that weaving spell. That one comes with all sorts of unintended side effects, most of which I find funny. For example, nimbus weaved with light would be subject to redshift and blueshift. If you compare the wavelength to the nimbus tilt, then the tilt changes based off of relative motion. I think a focused light weaved nimbus would increase both the nimbus strength and the intensity of the tilt if focused.

I think the easiest way to model the nimbus is to look at the spell factors chart. What is the longest range the nimbus can go after spending a mana to activate it?... The rules don’t say. For both my sanity and my convenience, I’m assuming that the nimbus can only effect up to the area of a large building. Other people might go in with different assumptions that are equally valid. I would say for each scale factor down, add 1 to nimbus strength (not the tilt). If using the light weaving spell, maybe you could temporarily purchase the nimbus enhancing merits? This could go all the way to scale factor 0 or a size that cannot effect people, creating that horrifically powerful nimbus in a tiny space I hypothesized about. Only way to interact with it would be mage sight. Arguably, one could argue all sorts of strange effects happen at that point. Maybe the creation of a artificial nimbus knot. Maybe that proto Tupla.

Comment

Working...
      X