[2e Legacy Homebrew] The Eclipses, a Death/Prime Obrimos and GotV Legacy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2e Legacy Homebrew] The Eclipses, a Death/Prime Obrimos and GotV Legacy

A much more palatable Legacy, this time, and a challenge from Eden, The Weaver of Forms presented on ROMzombie's Discord: to create an Obrimos Legacy with Death as the Ruling Arcanum.

My first few thoughts ended up being discarded because they boiled down to "Thrice-Great, but with ghosts" and "wait, I don't need Death for this, Obrimoi have Forces."

I also didn't want to do anything with souls, because I wanted this Legacy to be less objectively evil than the Binding Coils of Ouroboros.

So instead I settled on shadows and hiding truth.

The intro section could probably be beefed up, but this Legacy isn't intricately tied to a real-world culture or practice, and are pretty portable in time and location to anywhere and anywhen with spies (so, everywhere and everywhen).
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

The stereotypical Obrimos is bombastic: lightning bolts, fireballs, awe inspiring acts of rearranging the very Truth of the cosmos. Eclipses are not the stereotypical Obrimoi, instead using their mastery over Supernal Truth and affinity for shadows to infiltrate enemy organizations without detection.
    This Legacy originated in China during the Zhou Dynasty, with paperwork and documentation came a rapid evolution in the needs of spycraft, both mundane and mystical. Members of the Eclipses drew on ancient, alchemy-esque traditions of imbuing shadow itself into the spoken word and expanded that to encompass the written word as well; hiding falsehood in plain sight or protecting truth from exposure.
    In modern nights the Legacy has found a home in the Guardians of the Veil, with its Attainments allowing infiltration into groups that other Guardians would have difficulty fooling.

Origins
    Parentage: Obrimos, Guardians of the Veil
    Nicknames: Sneaks, Whispers, Perverts (originally “prevaricators”, derogatory)
    Background: Spies, document forgers, assassins.
    Appearances: Whatever helps them blend in and avoid drawing attention to themselves or their works.

Doctrine
    Prerequisites: Death 2, Stealth 2, Subterfuge 2, and one of the following at 1 dot or higher: Investigation, Politics, Athletics, Larceny, or Expression.
    Initiation: Aspirants do not petition to join the Eclipses, instead members will scout potential candidates and place dilemmas in their path and watch how those situations are handled. After those tests are passed, an Eclipse candidate requires an extensive round of screening, including allowing the Eclipses access to your Sleeper life otherwise unheard of in Pentacle society; checks on your past and character similar to those of Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information background investigations are performed to ensure that the prospective Eclipse is untainted and trustworthy.
    Organization: When imbedded in a hostile organization (e.g. a Seer pylon, a Banisher cabal) the Eclipse operates with complete independence, otherwise they slot into the normal Guardian hierarchy in their Consilium.
    Theory: Shadow is created by Light, shaped by it, of it. We carry this Shadow, this reflection of Light, within us to allow ourselves to slip into the Darkness unnoticed to pass information back and fight from behind enemy lines without our foes realizing. And if the Light destroys us along with the Darkness, then we will go knowing our duty was fulfilled.

Magic
    Ruling Arcanum: Death
    Yantras: Dimly lit areas (+1), using an assumed identity (+1), path-tools crafted of shadow-stuff (bonus as appropriate to the type of tool), forged documents (+1, +2 if tied to Alternate Identity 2 or 3).
    Oblations: making forged documents, infiltrating a group using an assumed identity or under false-pretenses.

Attainments
    First: Cloak of Night
    Prerequisite: Initiation
    Step one of being an Eclipse is manipulating actual shadows. With an instant action the Eclipse causes shadows in the area to deepen, applying the Poor Light Environmental Tilt in a small (Death 2 or 3) or large (Death 4 or 5) room sized area around themself for a number of rounds equal to their dots in Death; this can be maintained by reactivating this Attainment before the duration expires. This spell mimics the effects of Deepen Shadows with reach assigned to Instant Casting. The Eclipse also gains the ability to see in complete darkness.
    Optional: Prime 1
    By distilling the Supernal Symbols of shadow itself, the Eclipse can bring even the tiniest kernel of Truth to the fore; or draw attention to deceptive Truths, instead. Mundane attempts to discern forgeries or break ciphers created by the Eclipse suffer the Eclipse’s Prime dots as a penalty, as do mundane checks to pierce a disguise via conversation or inspection.

Second: Trick of the Light
    Prerequisite: Death 2, Stealth or Subterfuge 3
    Physical evidence of being somewhere they shouldn’t can compromise a spy’s cover, and so Eclipses have developed a method to only leave traces of their passage when they wish to do so. An Eclipse never leaves fingerprints, shed skin, hair, footprints, or any other mundane evidence of passage unless they choose to do so; magical attempts to detect evidence they were there provoke a Clash of Wills. This effect mimics the spell Without a Trace with reach assigned to Advanced Duration.
    Optional: Prime 2
    In addition to the penalties to mundane attempts to discern forgeries or detect deception, the Eclipse’s speech, writing, and appearance are protected from magical attempts to penetrate deception. Any spell or other supernatural ability that would reveal falsehood on the part of the Eclipse instead provokes a Clash of Wills. Treat this effect as a shielding spell with Duration as the Primary factor and reach assigned to Advanced Duration for purposes of bonuses to the Clash roll.

Third: Darkness Surrounds
    Prerequisite: Death 3, Stealth and Subterfuge 3, and either 2 dots in the other skill used to qualify for the Legacy or 1 dot in a second skill from the list of qualifying skills
    Mundane shadows becoming mere extensions of the Eclipse’s will. With an instant action, all shadows within a large area (a small warehouse or parking lot at Death 3, a large warehouse or supermarket at Death 4 or 5) can be moved and controlled, formed into any shape of the Eclipse’s choosing and animated in any way they can imagine; this effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to the Eclipse’s dots in Death. This Attainment mimics the effects of Shadow Sculpting with reach assigned to Instant Casting, Advanced Scale: Area, and the ability to make the shadows move and flow.
    Optional: Prime 3
    By spending a scene ritually preparing a persona, the Eclipse’s Nimbus can be infused with shadowstuff, hiding it entirely (making the Eclipse appear a Sleeper) or altering it to appear muted or fundamentally changed. If the Nimbus is muted entirely then casting spells and activating Attainments does not cause the Eclipse’s Nimbus to flare. The Eclipse can also choose to instead weaken or change certain representations of their Nimbus, though each change requires an additional scene of preparation: their Gnosis can be made to appear lower than it is or to instead be Hollow (of equal or lower strength than their Gnosis); Wisdom can be made to read as Joining; and dots in Arcana the Mage knows can be made to appear lower than they actually are. Attempts to pierce the deception provoke a Clash of Wills. This spell mimics the effects of the spell Cloak Nimbus with reach assigned to Advanced Duration and allowing the Eclipse to only partially mute the Nimbus and the additional ability to fake having Hollow or Joining.

Fourth: Night Manifest
    Prerequisite: Death 4 and either Stealth or Subterfuge 4, in addition to the requirements from the previous Attainment
    Infiltration often means leaving equipment behind, with this Attainment the Eclipse can craft most of what they need from their namesake shadows. By using the third Attainment to form the shape of what they need, the Eclipse pulls it out into the solid world, creating an object with Durability 2. If it is a weapon it gains a weapon rating of 2; if it is armor it gains a general armor rating of 2; otherwise the object gains a +2 equipment bonus. Objects created this way retain a shadowy appearance and cast no shadow of their own. This spell mimics the effects of Shadow Crafting with reach assigned to Instant Casting and Advanced Duration.
    Optional: Prime 4
    By learning how to infuse their own spells with shadowstuff, an Eclipse develops the ability to disrupt other Mages’ spells using the same shadowstuff, blocking the Imago from fully shining through. When using the Prime 2 Attainment Universal Counterspell the Shadow can spend a point of Mana to gain the rote quality on the counterspell roll.

Fifth: Shadow Incarnate
    Prerequisite: Death 5, Stealth and Subterfuge 4, and either three dots in one of the other qualifying skills for the Legacy, two dots in two of the skills, or one dot in three of the skills
    The Eclipse becomes shadow. With an instant action the Eclipse transforms themself and all their equipment into either two-dimensional or three-dimensional shadow. The shadowfied Eclipse cannot interact with any physical objects except those created via the fourth attainment, and is immune to all attacks and damage except from Supernal magic and from items created via the fourth attainment. The Eclipse is still bound by the laws of gravity while in shadow form, but can slip through any crack or crevice. The Eclipse retains all Attributes and Skills while in this form, and is effectively invisible in natural or supernatural darkness. This spell mimics the effects of Shadow Flesh except it allows interaction with items created via the fourth attainment, reach is assigned to Instant Casting and Advanced Duration.
    Optional: Prime 5
    Eclipses trick and confuse those that try to follow them or uncover their tracks. By spending a scene interacting with a Mystery, the Eclipse can add their Prime dots to the Opacity of the Mystery, alter or fabricate a number of pieces of surface or deep information up to their Prime dots, or a combination of the two; the Eclipse can even create false Mysteries out of whole cloth. Uncovering false surface or deep information provokes a Clash of Wills, with the Eclipse receiving a +5 bonus on the roll, if the uncovering Mage is successful they get the true information or realize the information was fabricated. The Eclipse’s real Signature Nimbus (from the Eclipse themself, a Soul Stone, or emulated via spell) acts as a key to the altered or fabricated Mystery, and bypasses the alterations entirely, but getting hold of a Eclipse’s Signature Nimbus is no mean feat.

proin's Legacy hub

Well now, this is pretty cool. Sneaky Obrimos are a favorite of mine. (Maybe I just have a thing for Obrimos in general?) As a prime stealth legacy, would a prime attainment to veil the mages spells from pms be in theme? I'm not sure where it would go though, as everything is pretty much perfect.

To whomever reads this, I hope you have a good day/night. May you be Happy.

So, I made some Mage Legacies here, with some help. They vary in quality, but I hope you take a look at them. Every one contains pieces of me, for better or worse.

Comment

Originally posted by TempleBuilder View Post
      Well now, this is pretty cool. Sneaky Obrimos are a favorite of mine. (Maybe I just have a thing for Obrimos in general?)
      Glad you like it! I have a few other Obrimos Legacies I've made, if you're interested.

As a prime stealth legacy, would a prime attainment to veil the mages spells from pms be in theme? I'm not sure where it would go though, as everything is pretty much perfect.
      Swap out the Third Prime Attainment for a Supernal Veil effect, maybe?

I tried to work it in, but you can't fit everything.

proin's Legacy hub

Comment

Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post

Glad you like it! I have a few other Obrimos Legacies I've made, if you're interested.
        I am! Are they the ones in your signature? I plan on reading tomorrow, if I have time.

To whomever reads this, I hope you have a good day/night. May you be Happy.

So, I made some Mage Legacies here, with some help. They vary in quality, but I hope you take a look at them. Every one contains pieces of me, for better or worse.

Comment

Working...
        X