Mage Chronicle advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mage Chronicle advice

So this topic probably has come up a few times before, but I figured I should ask anyway. It seems I will be getting to run a Mage game soon, and I would appreciate any advice for running it. I have only ever DMed 5e D&D before, and my sole player has only played 5e before. They haven’t read the rules yet, but I’ve tried to explain what the various paths are, and he thinks he wants to mess with Forces and Space, with Forces being the higher priority. I set the time period to the Wild West from dark eras 2, but I need some advice on how to be a proper tutorial and still have a nice story. I kinda wanted to set the story before his characters awakening, and then have them go through it after a train crash, but I’m not sure if that’s too advanced for both me and him. Also any sample Forces mysteries? Everything I can think of involves either radio to heaven type stuff or high technology.
    Last edited by TempleBuilder; 06-10-2021, 01:08 PM.

To whomever reads this, I hope you have a good day/night. May you be Happy.

So, I made some Mage Legacies here, with some help. They vary in quality, but I hope you take a look at them. Every one contains pieces of me, for better or worse.

I would recommend focusing strongly on the genre differences in your opening story, and really show of the setting and how you expect the story to play out. D&D has a very different play style, so try to work in the different subsystems in CoD (social maneuvering, investigation, building equipment), and show off a variety of NPCs and factions.
    But also start working in Mysteries. Read the sections on Path, Awakening and Supernal World a couple of times (in Core and SoS if you can). There’s usually encounters with the supernatural that provoke obsession and confrontation with the Lie that lead up to the Awakening.
    The supernatural even can be almost anything, but the Wild West setting makes me thing of “might makes right” vs “ordinary people being willing to stand up”, and “hopelessness against nature” vs “technology rapidly changing landscapes and societies” as major themes of the setting - either of which can play well into the Obrimos experience of “there is power and potential hidden just under the surface of the world” and there being a cosmic order humans can understand. A train crash triggering an Awakening could be the culmination of a mystery play regarding the awe of technology containing elemental power to defy the illusion of Space, or it could be the start of a mystery play as the character wanders back through a badlands and realizes the order underlying nature and the power they Can tap into, changing the weather to survive. Or many others...

Definitely talk to your player as to what kind of play experience they want. Figuring out what Order they would choose (even if you aren’t using them) will point you to that even more strongly than Path. Forces + Space specialty in the Arrow, for example, could mean the player wants a more D&D-like game, with teleporting and fireballs, and then any kind of mysteries will be fine if they can apply a violent solution at some point - have fun with monsters of the week and bandit gangs. If they’d choose Silver Ladder, though, that’ll probably lead to trying to use magic to rule, political struggles with robber barons and lawless frontiers and working against the sleeping curse - maybe even founding a small town as a supernatural enclave.
    The main mysteries you use throughout the chronicle don’t necessarily have to be weird stuff related to an Arcana, if they can at least be used to solve it. I can definitely imagine a game with a loan “gunslinger” Obrimos who can usually take out the bad guys, but rarely is able to figure out what’s really going on or why - already sounds like the first half of a classic western - which leads them to seek out other mages that can help fill in the investigate-y bits with the arcana they lack, particularly once the bad guys start seeming to be linked together in an ever weirder and more ominous way.
    If you aren’t using Orders in the setting (and don’t want the player to read up on them and get excited for an aspect you won’t include), you can still paraphrase their main styles of gameplay: warrior, politician, researcher, spy (emphasizing “concealing the supernatural”), or populist (deeply invested in a particular sleeper community).

I’d also recommend having a few Legacies on hand to suggest to the player, since they’re very interested in Arcana from different Paths - picking the other up as a ruling Arcana will be extremely valuable. This will probably mean creating your own or at least adapting a 1E legacy, as there’s not many for 2E yet. A lot of new players (and ST) avoid legacies as being another layer of complication on top of an already complex system, but putting one in, even while leaving it super vague and undeveloped, will let the player effectively use both Forces and Space as much as they want - I highly recommend it. It can be introduced as vaguely as a single Attainment - then you can work out more details when both of you are ready to delve it a bit more.
    Just handing them the legacy through a mentor NPC would be a great way to go. A lone, semi-retired sorcerer is an effective way to provide advice in general, and can just induct the pc in a legacy without explaining too much at the outset.

As another bit of side advice: someone made a spell casting app a while back - it’s pretty critical for new mage players. I like the spell-casting system in 2E, but it’s very involved, and the app makes it simple to see and play around with factors, and auto calculates costs and dice pools.

sample Forces mystery hooks:
    • Lightning strikes the same place every time that it can. Some self proclaimed genius inventor is venturing out to “capture” it.
    • Somewhere in the badlands, someone is controlling the weather to create a lush oasis, but the knock-on effects of manipulating heat and moisture are endangering surrounding areas.
    • There is exactly 1 building out in a giant plains known to be tornado country. The owner can make sure it doesn’t get hit, and clearly is trying to hide something from pretty well everyone
    • Something's out there on the salt flats (maybe a radio signal, or a structure barely visible with a telescope, or the convergence of ley lines, or the stories of a crazy bastard who claims to have survived the trek). It’s something you could only reach if you can survive the heat - possibly something fully preserved since The Time Before.
    • People in town are freezing to death - it’s clearly a message, but for whom, and from what?
    • The Doppler Effect is a new, but fairly commonplace curiosity that comes with the advent of trains. Only nerds get really interested in it. Until it starts happening to ordinary folks in the middle of town. The market, the church... something is compressing the sounds of people standing still. Is space being warped too? Is it the side effect of a veil? Or is it the early signs of an abyssal intrusion?
    • There’s a holy grove in the canyons outside of town, where light “filtering through the trees” looks exactly like stained glass. Legends claim people sometimes see images or sacred writing in the patterns. At the right time, on the right day, it forms instructions for a Rote.
    • They call him “the bullet proof monk”, he’s targeting gunslingers...
    • A new showman is claiming an angel granted him a “one thousand-league leap”, and is doing daredevil stunts that defy gravity, somehow without provoking Quiescence. For now it’s an entertainment gig, but more and more people are showing up asking for messages from the divine; he could quickly have a cult following.

[Post Script: why does it seem easier to brainstorm when it’s not your chronicle?]

Hope this helps,
    ~ Seraph Kitty
    Last edited by Seraph Kitty; 06-10-2021, 04:32 PM.

Second Chance for
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_709_1572548741915_354[/ATTACH]
    A Beautiful Madness

Comment

If it's not before 1844, I have an idea of seismic rumblings that aren't necessarily destructive, but can be translated into Morse code.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Thank you so much, unfortunately I am at work so no detailed response. I was planning on the the story being in California and Nevada, or Texas. I hadn’t planned on a exact date yet, I need to refresh my US history.

So, I made some Mage Legacies here, with some help. They vary in quality, but I hope you take a look at them. Every one contains pieces of me, for better or worse.

Comment

I remember preparing a few writing tips a while back, but I feel they might be helpful to GMing as well.

Regarding a Space and Forces Legacy, I am trying to figure out one for the Mysterium at the moment (Mastigos, Forces primary), but that is still work in progress. Surprisingly, its a relatively rare Arcana combination.

Some sample Forces Mysteries:

1- There exists a few coal mines spread across the land. Burning the coal from them changes the weather, each mine having its own unique effect. Sometimes clouds from the fire, other times fog appears or the temperature sharply drops before snow starts. A few can even cause rain or, in enough quantities, floods.

2- It is said that up in the mountains there exists a lost tribe of storm worshippers, who believe a flying mantaray storm spirit collects the soul of the heroic, to be reborn to soar the sky. Little do they know its the guardian of an ancient Atlantean temple, who stores souls in the emerald crystals in its underbelly, secretly processing their souls into a unique type of energy. Its goal is to gather the power to activate some cryptic and mighty device. Its collection is nearly complete. (Inspired by the Shrine of Storms from Demon's Souls).

3- Normally prosperous, this farming city is struck by a mysterious illness. Villagers seem to die from frostbite and at night floating, blueshish flames are sometimes seen moving about by those that wander alone (Inspired by the Kagebi from Mushishi).

4- When you visit the lake by the ruined estate at night, while the only light out is those of fireflies, you can see the mansion still vibrant. Furthermore, an entire complex extends beyond it, one that never existed here. With the right preparations and spells, it is rumored one could cross over into it. (A Forces and Time or Space Mystery).

5- The aurora borealis has shown up above the town. Those attuned to such things can hear the radio signals, containing instructions to build a dirigible capable of sailing through and "beyond it", alongside a desperate plea for rescue. (Inspired by Mira from Baten Kaitos).
          Last edited by KaiserAfini; 06-10-2021, 11:49 PM.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
          The Szary Strażnik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

Comment

Originally posted by Seraph Kitty View Post
            I would recommend focusing strongly on the genre differences in your opening story, and really show of the setting and how you expect the story to play out. D&D has a very different play style, so try to work in the different subsystems in CoD (social maneuvering, investigation, building equipment), and show off a variety of NPCs and factions.
            Social Maneuvering is something I want to use a lot of, there really aren't many guidelines for social stuff in D&D, and I think that is a very interesting aspect to focus on. Investigation seems like a good area to focus on for a Mage game.
            But also start working in Mysteries. Read the sections on Path, Awakening and Supernal World a couple of times (in Core and SoS if you can). There’s usually encounters with the supernatural that provoke obsession and confrontation with the Lie that lead up to the Awakening.
            I had a idea while at work, that the crash/wreak might be caused by something blatantly supernatural, thus starting the story in earnest. Maybe the Story's main Mystery could be related.
            The supernatural even can be almost anything, but the Wild West setting makes me thing of “might makes right” vs “ordinary people being willing to stand up”, and “hopelessness against nature” vs “technology rapidly changing landscapes and societies” as major themes of the setting - either of which can play well into the Obrimos experience of “there is power and potential hidden just under the surface of the world” and there being a cosmic order humans can understand.
            All of these themes are super helpful, I already have ideas using them.
            A train crash triggering an Awakening could be the culmination of a mystery play regarding the awe of technology containing elemental power to defy the illusion of Space, or it could be the start of a mystery play as the character wanders back through a badlands and realizes the order underlying nature and the power they Can tap into, changing the weather to survive. Or many others...
            I really like the last one, surviving a inhospitable, and possibly actively hostile desert was going to be the first challenge. Might as well as make it part of the Mystery Play. Maybe I could make a storm creature or gravity mishap or something massively crazy effect the train. Need to reread some tall tales from my childhood. Maybe I use a spontaneously appearing dust devil strong enough to lift the train off it's tracks, or a dust lightning storm. Someone lassoing the thing, perhaps.
            Definitely talk to your player as to what kind of play experience they want. Figuring out what Order they would choose (even if you aren’t using them) will point you to that even more strongly than Path. Forces + Space specialty in the Arrow, for example, could mean the player wants a more D&D-like game, with teleporting and fireballs, and then any kind of mysteries will be fine if they can apply a violent solution at some point - have fun with monsters of the week and bandit gangs. If they’d choose Silver Ladder, though, that’ll probably lead to trying to use magic to rule, political struggles with robber barons and lawless frontiers and working against the sleeping curse - maybe even founding a small town as a supernatural enclave.
            I REALLY needed to do this already in retrospect, I was more focused on what is a Mage and what can they do. Thanks.
            The main mysteries you use throughout the chronicle don’t necessarily have to be weird stuff related to an Arcana, if they can at least be used to solve it. I can definitely imagine a game with a loan “gunslinger” Obrimos who can usually take out the bad guys, but rarely is able to figure out what’s really going on or why - already sounds like the first half of a classic western - which leads them to seek out other mages that can help fill in the investigate-y bits with the arcana they lack, particularly once the bad guys start seeming to be linked together in an ever weirder and more ominous way.
            Really? I probably could do something that doesn't quite fit neatly then. That image of the Lone Gunslinger is perfect.
            If you aren’t using Orders in the setting (and don’t want the player to read up on them and get excited for an aspect you won’t include), you can still paraphrase their main styles of gameplay: warrior, politician, researcher, spy (emphasizing “concealing the supernatural”), or populist (deeply invested in a particular sleeper community).
            I planned on the Orders having a really minor influence in the region at the start of play, and Mages in general being rare. I was considering having him shown the ropes by a Mastigos who specifically came to the region because there were few order mages. First faction to arrive actually would be Seers, and have them try to recruit him. The player is rather against anyone having any control over him on general principle, so I figured that would be interesting to have them show up first.
            I’d also recommend having a few Legacies on hand to suggest to the player, since they’re very interested in Arcana from different Paths - picking the other up as a ruling Arcana will be extremely valuable. This will probably mean creating your own or at least adapting a 1E legacy, as there’s not many for 2E yet. A lot of new players (and ST) avoid legacies as being another layer of complication on top of an already complex system, but putting one in, even while leaving it super vague and undeveloped, will let the player effectively use both Forces and Space as much as they want - I highly recommend it. It can be introduced as vaguely as a single Attainment - then you can work out more details when both of you are ready to delve it a bit more.
            Just handing them the legacy through a mentor NPC would be a great way to go. A lone, semi-retired sorcerer is an effective way to provide advice in general, and can just induct the pc in a legacy without explaining too much at the outset.
            Yes, I planned on making a legacy either with him or just as general prep. I think they mention wanted to be able to just gauge distance and position in a instant, so I might use a variant of Outward an Inward Eye as the first Attainment. A Mentor with the Legacy is perfect, as mentioned above.
            As another bit of side advice: someone made a spell casting app a while back - it’s pretty critical for new mage players. I like the spell-casting system in 2E, but it’s very involved, and the app makes it simple to see and play around with factors, and auto calculates costs and dice pools.
            That exists? Guess I will use it with him, he understood most of what I said about spellcasting, but I clearly overwhelmed him with info. This should help a lot.

sample Forces mystery hooks:
            • Lightning strikes the same place every time that it can. Some self proclaimed genius inventor is venturing out to “capture” it.
            • Somewhere in the badlands, someone is controlling the weather to create a lush oasis, but the knock-on effects of manipulating heat and moisture are endangering surrounding areas.
            • There is exactly 1 building out in a giant plains known to be tornado country. The owner can make sure it doesn’t get hit, and clearly is trying to hide something from pretty well everyone
            • Something's out there on the salt flats (maybe a radio signal, or a structure barely visible with a telescope, or the convergence of ley lines, or the stories of a crazy bastard who claims to have survived the trek). It’s something you could only reach if you can survive the heat - possibly something fully preserved since The Time Before.
            • People in town are freezing to death - it’s clearly a message, but for whom, and from what?
            • The Doppler Effect is a new, but fairly commonplace curiosity that comes with the advent of trains. Only nerds get really interested in it. Until it starts happening to ordinary folks in the middle of town. The market, the church... something is compressing the sounds of people standing still. Is space being warped too? Is it the side effect of a veil? Or is it the early signs of an abyssal intrusion?
            • There’s a holy grove in the canyons outside of town, where light “filtering through the trees” looks exactly like stained glass. Legends claim people sometimes see images or sacred writing in the patterns. At the right time, on the right day, it forms instructions for a Rote.
            • They call him “the bullet proof monk”, he’s targeting gunslingers...
            • A new showman is claiming an angel granted him a “one thousand-league leap”, and is doing daredevil stunts that defy gravity, somehow without provoking Quiescence. For now it’s an entertainment gig, but more and more people are showing up asking for messages from the divine; he could quickly have a cult following.
            These are awesome. I probably won't use the Abyss on him too early, unless he REALLY goes crazy with Paradox, but the ruins of The Time Before in some place that that almost nobody can survive is perfect, enough to be the story mystery. Favorite is the Light Grimoire, this will probably be the First Mystery I use.

[Post Script: why does it seem easier to brainstorm when it’s not your chronicle?]
            I know, right! I can't stop thinking of cool ideas during another person's campaign, but the moment I need to think of my campaign I seem to go blank.
            Hope this helps,
            ~ Seraph Kitty
            Oh, it did. So very much indeed. Thank you ever so much.

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
            If it's not before 1844, I have an idea of seismic rumblings that aren't necessarily destructive, but can be translated into Morse code.
            This is a good one, I pan on using this.

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
            I remember preparing a few writing tips a while back, but I feel they might be helpful to GMing as well.
            Thanks. Edit: these tips are pretty awesome!
            Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
            Regarding a Space and Forces Legacy, I am trying to figure out one for the Mysterium at the moment (Mastigos, Forces primary), but that is still work in progress. Surprisingly, its a relatively rare Arcana combination.
            Yeah, I noticed that when I was making my Legacies, there is a bunch of gaps in Arcana combinations. Maybe I should try to fill some of them later. Will be happy to see what you come up with on that front.
            Last edited by TempleBuilder; 06-11-2021, 12:20 AM.

Comment

So he is rather insistent that he was down with whatever, so I assume he’s going to default to his usual role playing ranger personality. He was in Boy Scouts and it shows. Never goes in without a backup plan, is slightly paranoid in game. Would rather burn the fort than risk fighting the inhabitants, and loves traps for everything. So I guess the Arrow might be a fit? Edit: Maybe the Guardians?
              Last edited by TempleBuilder; 06-11-2021, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TempleBuilder View Post
                So he is rather insistent that he was down with whatever, so I assume he’s going to default to his usual role playing ranger personality. He was in Boy Scouts and it shows. Never goes in without a backup plan, is slightly paranoid in game. Would rather burn the fort than risk fighting the inhabitants, and loves traps for everything. So I guess the Arrow might be a fit? Edit: Maybe the Guardians?
                Whistles

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...es-fate-legacy

proin's Legacy hub

Comment

So he is rather insistent that he was down with whatever, so I assume he’s going to default to his usual role playing ranger personality. He was in Boy Scouts and it shows. Never goes in without a backup plan, is slightly paranoid in game. Would rather burn the fort than risk fighting the inhabitants, and loves traps for everything. So I guess the Arrow might be a fit?
                  I think somewhat. Part of what you describe is fitting to the stated ethos of the Adamantine Arrow, the concern for maintaining contingency plans. Adaptability is Strength, after all. However the idea of going for the most expedient, least risky way of dealing with threats... I could see a person initially drawn to the Arrow and partially trained in their methods approaching things in such a manner, but where their peers would take some issue with them. The beliefs of the Adamantine Arrow are concerned with conducting themselves honourably, applying only so much force as is necessary to overcome a challenge, and to actually place themselves in the path of it. It's not just about applying magic to combat purposes, it's about seeking a transcendent warrior ethos that sees challenge as analogous to and a means of engaging with the cosmos.

That said, I'd also point out that the period you're aiming for is one in which the Nameless War has been running hot for a while. Dark Eras 2 presents the American frontier as less of an intense theatre for it, but there's still a potential for people in the process of forming the ideals that will become the Free Council to be prominent and assertive.

It may be that this character is more suited as somebody who adheres to a philosophy and organisation that is part of a prototype for what will become the more violent revolutionary aspect of the Council. In which case a tendency for burning the fort rather than fighting the inhabitants could even be a point of contention with members of the Adamantine Arrow, something they use to decry these Libertine movements and a source of potential escalation.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                  Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

So this topic probably has come up a few times before, but I figured I should ask anyway. It seems I will be getting to run a Mage game soon, and I would appreciate any advice for running it. I have only ever DMed 5e D&D before, and my sole player has only played 5e before. They haven’t read the rules yet, but I’ve tried to explain what the various paths are, and he thinks he wants to mess with Forces and Space, with Forces being the higher priority. I set the time period to the Wild West from dark eras 2, but I need some advice on how to be a proper tutorial and still have a nice story.
                    Keep it simple. Awakening is a complex game, so it can be very overwhelming to the new players. The following is good things to do, from my personal experience (I've introduced many people to Mage, made a few mistakes).
                    • Explain nature of the game without going too deep into the lore. "There are mages, they Awaken to cosmic Truths, they surrounded by nefarious Lie, and they seek hidden Mysteries of the world for personal power and enlightenment".
                    • Ask player about what kind of mage they want to play. Stress out that this is urban fantasy, they don't have to cling to fantasy stereotypes.
                    • Start small, preferrably with newly Awakened mage template. Do not require to read rules, instead focus on Mage Sight, discovering weirdness of the world and casting first spells. Do not try to dump Mage politics on player, instead focus on having one or two friendly mages who are willing to explain stuff.
                    • Do simple Mysteries without having to dug very deep and being very clever with your magic. Enchanted item which absorbs heat. Radio frequency which sings weird dream-like song seemingly from nowhere. Stuff like that. If player wants violent conflicts - keep them simple as well.
                    • Do help with Creative Thaumaturgy, do not force player to be creative. Allow him to explore magic and magic system at his own pace. Stress out Yantra incorporation and developing your own unique style of doing magic.
                    • Do not do Awakening first. It's pretty complex and not quite clear for new players. Instead, focus game on period immediately after Awakening. First steps of being a mage.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

I think somewhat. Part of what you describe is fitting to the stated ethos of the Adamantine Arrow, the concern for maintaining contingency plans. Adaptability is Strength, after all. However the idea of going for the most expedient, least risky way of dealing with threats... I could see a person initially drawn to the Arrow and partially trained in their methods approaching things in such a manner, but where their peers would take some issue with them. The beliefs of the Adamantine Arrow are concerned with conducting themselves honourably, applying only so much force as is necessary to overcome a challenge, and to actually place themselves in the path of it. It's not just about applying magic to combat purposes, it's about seeking a transcendent warrior ethos that sees challenge as analogous to and a means of engaging with the cosmos.

That said, I'd also point out that the period you're aiming for is one in which the Nameless War has been running hot for a while. Dark Eras 2 presents the American frontier as less of an intense theatre for it, but there's still a potential for people in the process of forming the ideals that will become the Free Council to be prominent and assertive.

It may be that this character is more suited as somebody who adheres to a philosophy and organisation that is part of a prototype for what will become the more violent revolutionary aspect of the Council. In which case a tendency for burning the fort rather than fighting the inhabitants could even be a point of contention with members of the Adamantine Arrow, something they use to decry these Libertine movements and a source of potential escalation.
                      Hmm, I had forgotten. The Nameless war might be a good option to bring to his corner of the world, all I need to do is have the Seers/Diamond orders start a firefight with a bit of splash onto other Nameless Mages if I want it be be partly justified. I agree the Arrow is not a great fit for him, he doesn’t see or seek challenges like a Arrow would, and I doubt he would listen to anything they said. I actually had him pegged as Free Council, he keeps trying to use science ideas for the Magic spells he asked me if he can do, which makes me very happy. I had discounted the Free Council due to the time period, but I might just have the roots of them be a part of the plot.

Comment

Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post
                        I guess there is a Legacy for everything. I will show this to him, maybe he will like it. I’m definitely going to use it, perfect for a character I already had planned.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Archon View Post
                          Keep it simple. Awakening is a complex game, so it can be very overwhelming to the new players. The following is good things to do, from my personal experience (I've introduced many people to Mage, made a few mistakes).
                          I will pay attention then.
                          • Explain nature of the game without going too deep into the lore. "There are mages, they Awaken to cosmic Truths, they surrounded by nefarious Lie, and they seek hidden Mysteries of the world for personal power and enlightenment".
                          • I have been trying, literally only explained a bit of how spells work, and what paths do.
                          • Ask player about what kind of mage they want to play. Stress out that this is urban fantasy, they don't have to cling to fantasy stereotypes.
                          I’ve tried, they don’t make characters until the last second normally, so getting a straight response is hard.
                        • Start small, preferrably with newly Awakened mage template. Do not require to read rules, instead focus on Mage Sight, discovering weirdness of the world and casting first spells. Do not try to dump Mage politics on player, instead focus on having one or two friendly mages who are willing to explain stuff.
                        I was planning on at least on teacher.
                      • Do simple Mysteries without having to dug very deep and being very clever with your magic. Enchanted item which absorbs heat. Radio frequency which sings weird dream-like song seemingly from nowhere. Stuff like that. If player wants violent conflicts - keep them simple as well.
                      • Ok. I will try to keep it simple.
                      • Do help with Creative Thaumaturgy, do not force player to be creative. Allow him to explore magic and magic system at his own pace. Stress out Yantra incorporation and developing your own unique style of doing magic.
                      • I actually tried to introduce the idea of creative thaumaturgy as a selling point.
                      • Do not do Awakening first. It's pretty complex and not quite clear for new players. Instead, focus game on period immediately after Awakening. First steps of being a mage.
                      • Oh. Well dang. That’s a easy fix. I can definitely change that part. Should I try to work with him to try and create that awakening experience as part of character prep or should I just immediately start at the moment right after?

Comment

I seem to have messed up the format of the post and I can’t edit it.

Comment

I have been trying, literally only explained a bit of how spells work, and what paths do.
                            I actually tried to introduce the idea of creative thaumaturgy as a selling point.
                            From my experience, it's spell metaphysics which causes most of the problems. New players usually don't look at Paths as something but "wizard classes". So maybe you should focus on that, yeah. Explain how spells are invoking higher Truths to affect Fallen reality, that you are limited by knowledge and imagination and how magic can be dangerous if overdone. I think it's better to show what Path is rather than explain it - describe Aether (assuming character is Obrimos), explain how the character sees the world through the lens of Mage Sight, show the Mysteries. If you catch the interest and imagination of player, it's much more easier to explain Paths then.

I was planning on at least on teacher.
                            That can be good, because PC will have someone to ask for help and explanations... of the other hand, this can be bad for the exact same reason. If your player enjoys exploration and experimentation, you can wait with teacher until desire to explore magic on his on is satisfied... or until he Paradox'es himself or someone another hard. I always found this to be the perfect moment to introduce mentor figure.

Should I try to work with him to try and create that awakening experience as part of character prep or should I just immediately start at the moment right after?
                            That depends on how important backstory of PC to player; there are different play styles. I, for example, care much more for actual game experience; for me, it's more interesting to start playing without knowing much about my PC and flesh him out in process. I also found out that new players don't really catch how important Awakening is for the mage and generally lack interesting ideas for it. Of course, your player may have very different play style - you know him better! In short, it depends on if player uses backstory or actual play as foundation for roleplaying the PC.

Comment

• Working...
                              X