Brief video overview of Mage the Awakening for New Players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brief video overview of Mage the Awakening for New Players

I created this video to give a general overview of Mage the Awakening for new players. Please let me know if you find this useful. Also if I there are any mistakes. Thank you.
    • One I know already is that I mispronounce the word Acanthus.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3v99Xwh5DA&t

Excellent summary, its very difficult to explain a game like Mage, especially if you are jumping in from something like D&D. This was nice and concise, thank you for making it. Great idea on using the alternative Arcana symbols, they looked pretty cool.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists (Mind/Time)
    The Szary Stra┼╝nik, an Obrimos Legacy of Scholars of the Glyphs of Fate (Fate/Prime)

Comment

Nice video.

On the other hand, your description of the Orders sort of makes me writhe in pain like a pinned butterfly being tormented by a malevolent Exarch with a bright light, a magnifying glass, and a self-satisfied smirk. I think you have entirely mis-characterized... half of them? Aauugghhh. Just go with the Magic is X thesis for each of them instead.

Adamantine Arrow - Challenge is Magical. You've more-or-less got them correct, at least. Should probably mention their focus on martial excellence and occult focus on oaths and service.
      Guardians of the Veil - Magic is Fragile. You've got this one almost absolutely wrong? They're the secret police of the Pentacle - spies, assassins, and executioners. They are named for the Veil, a mystical legal term where magic is hidden from Sleepers lest they destroy it. The Guardians are in a position to find the most Awakenings because they want the ability to sideline them if they fail their moral evaluations. Their occult praxis revolves around disguise, stealth, and sin-eating; where they perform evil but necessary deeds so others don't have to.
      Mysterium - Magic is Alive. The career magical academics. Understanding magic is a pretty good way of putting them; they almost literally worship magic. As such, the only thing worthy of sharing sacred magical knowledge with anyone else... is more magical knowledge. This has the odd effect of literally commodifying the very thing they hold sacred.
      Silver Ladder - Magic is Humanity's Birthright. They are definitely humanists. This is the Order that tries to encourage others to Awaken, as a mission statement. They also believe in leadership, and that you cannot have authority in the grassroots. Sleepers are to be lead for their own good.
      Free Council - Humanity is Magical. I have only the tiniest understanding of Vampire, but calling them the Anarchs of Mage feels like underselling them a bunch. And I'm not sure what you're talking about with Harmony. The Diamond Orders are of the opinion that magic, all reality really, comes down from the Supernal to the Fallen; as Above, so Below. Free Council takes the opposite approach; as Below, so Above. Human culture, art, and invention in the Fallen will in turn change and create magic in the Supernal. They also believe that hierarchies stifle magical potential, and so mass action and collective decisions are the way to go.

Seers of the Throne - Magic is Payment. Exactly what it says on the tin: the Exarchs are in charge, and they pay very well for service indeed. Stifling Awakenings is only part of the job at hand: the Exarchs are living magical symbols of tyranny, and they want their Seers to propagate tyranny. They don't really agree with one another (surprise surprise), and struggle amongst one another, and the same is true for their Seer slaves.

Also, the "Mad" are known as the "Rapt" now. First, because Mad has judgmental, moralistic, and ableist tones that are inaccurate. And second, because Rapt is short for Enraptured: the occult condition where a mage is enthralled by their Obsessions. The magic is in control, not the other way around. They are in Rapture to their magic.

Comment

Working...
      X