A Town like Mparntwe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KaiserAfini View Post
    All that builds into challenges to their ability to adapt, plan and investigate. Overall I see them driven rather than frustrated. So in theory they would be very busy with all the complex challenges. They may even be skilled or very practical, but very blunt and bad at building bridges. In such a way, once they verify the cabal are not Seers, then they may offer boons exactly to help them make headway towards their more ambitious operations.
    This I will remember as well, not all the Arrows have the same motivation.

Comment

You'll have to forgive me for focusing a bit much on the Adamantine Arrow, it's an Order I have a lot of interest in. Mind, I'd also say it's the one you've given details to that carry the most potential for conflict.

I'm thinking that one plot hook that could be interesting, especially if there are any Arrows in the player group, is for the cabal to discretely approached by somebody like the Caucus's Thunderbolt Guardian (or even Adamant Sage for maximum Dumbledore "we're being way too casual with somebody far above us" energy) who is trying to carefully incline the cabal to help out these Talons who have understandably gone astray.

In my mind there'd be a tension there in how it's a ranking Arrow who has a responsibility concerning these kinds of things, but being too blunt about it (and especially sharing it with another party) is contrary to the leader's principles. A matter of not wanting to humiliate fellow Arrows who are trying their best, not just for usual social niceties but a perspective that such things hurt one's cultivation. Enlightenment is Honour, so unduly dishonouring is harmful to enlightenment.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Atnelkentyarliweke (ANZAC Hill)

ANZAC Hill is a predominant hill with a commanding view over Alice. At the top of the hill is a cenotaph and war memorial. The road to the top is lined with memorials of every armed conflict Australia has been involved in from the Boer War 1898 to current peacekeeping deployments.

There is a large boulder at the top with a cleft which once housed long looted sacred objects. Rocks on its western flank are the puppies from the local dog story. While associated with the local dog story the site has closer connections with the caterpillar story and the two sisters and uninitiated boys story.

On the east side of the hill is a youth center and a rugby field between it and the Todd River. The Stuart Hwy and it's powerful Seer Ley Line run by its SE flank.

Ley Lines: North-South (Control), East (Meetings), SW (Youth)
        Hallow: 4 dot (formally 5 dot) Arcanum (Time)
        Resonance: Ley Lines plus Dog, Caterpillar, Sisters and Sacrifice
        Tass: Poppies and wreaths

The Wardens of Mparntwe claim this site and the Arrows have a Demesne based out of an old corrugated metal shed used as a boxing gym at the youth center. The Cabal members (led by Jezail) take shadow names of traditional weapons of the nations listed at the war memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
          You'll have to forgive me for focusing a bit much on the Adamantine Arrow, it's an Order I have a lot of interest in. Mind, I'd also say it's the one you've given details to that carry the most potential for conflict.
          I've just posted the Hallow used by the Arrows, a little out of order for the dog story but thought it would highlight the Resonance the Arrows are going to be subject too. They have claimed one right on the Seers line and it has a strong Sacrifice resonance as well.

I like your story hook and is certainly one to keep mind. Session 1 I'd like have a scene that's a hook for each of the cabals. This is a good one for the arrows.

To comment further I'm really interested in the way arcane geography effects the material world. Resonance will be a big focus of the campaign so that even Mages are influenced by where they base themselves or operate. It's why I'm investing a lot of time getting the lay of the land down, then I'll drop NPCs in top of that and get an idea of what is pulling them.

The Arrows might be who they are partly because they have moved into a Hallow that's a Seer honey trap.
          Last edited by Old Dog; 06-23-2021, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog View Post
            Atnelkentyarliweke (ANZAC Hill)

ANZAC Hill is a predominant hill with a commanding view over Alice. At the top of the hill is a cenotaph and war memorial. The road to the top is lined with memorials of every armed conflict Australia has been involved in from the Boer War 1898 to current peacekeeping deployments.

There is a large boulder at the top with a cleft which once housed long looted sacred objects. Rocks on its western flank are the puppies from the local dog story. While associated with the local dog story the site has closer connections with the caterpillar story and the two sisters and uninitiated boys story.

On the east side of the hill is a youth center and a rugby field between it and the Todd River. The Stuart Hwy and it's powerful Seer Ley Line run by its SE flank.

Ley Lines: North-South (Control), East (Meetings), SW (Youth)
            Hallow: 4 dot (formally 5 dot) Arcanum (Time)
            Resonance: Ley Lines plus Dog, Caterpillar, Sisters and Sacrifice
            Tass: Poppies and wreaths

The Wardens of Mparntwe claim this site and the Arrows have a Demesne based out of an old corrugated metal shed used as a boxing gym at the youth center. The Cabal members (led by Jezail) take shadow names of traditional weapons of the nations listed at the war memorial.
            Hmm, an intersection between the Adamantine Arrow and Australia's war history intrigues me. Makes me think of the core's advice about using music for inspiration and The Band Played Waltzing Matilda.

Also an idea that when the cabal finds their Seers, one would have the Shadow Name of Churchill.

Comment

Akurle

A low hill at the base of the range west of Mt Gillen behind what is now the Territory Wildlife Park. This hill was formed from fur ripped out in the dog fight and like the surrounding area it's now controlled by traditional owners.

Ley Line: East-West (Bloodlust)
              Formally a 2 dot hallow this site now sits dormant.

Yarrentye

A series of rocky outcrops formed from the intestines of the intruder dog run along the base of the range behind Larapinta Valley Town Camp. The camp also known as Yarrenyty-Arltere (White Devil Dog) is inhabited by Arrernte, Pertame and Luritja people. Little visited this site is managed by Tangentyete Council who look after all the town camps in Alice. On the range above the site are telecom broadcast towers which overlook the town and the red lights at the tops of the towers are a distinctive nighttime landmark.

Ley Line: East-West (Bloodlust), South (Searching)
              Hallow: 1 Dot Arcanum (Life)
              Resonance: Ley Lines plus Dog and Flesh
              Tass: Rotting animal organs
              The telecom towers once housed a cabal of Pentacle mages. The Cabal vanished in the 80's but the ley line they created to this site still lingers.

Comment

Ntaripe (Heavitree Gap)

The Gap is a pass in the MacDonnell Ranges through which runs the dry Todd River as well as the main road and rail line south. It was here that the intruder dog was finally killed before sinking into the earth. On the SW corner of the Gap is the old police station which operated from 1879 to 1909. It's now a heritage listed building that no one other than the aged caretaker visits. In 1897 there were three known storehouses of sacred objects in the west wall of the Gap, by 1926 all stolen. While a major site on the Local Dog Songline, Ntaripe is also on the songlines of Green Beetle, Caterpillar, Kangaroo and the Uninitiated Boys.

Ley Lines: Seer's line North-South (Control), West (Bloodlust)
                Men's site
                Hallow/Nigissu: 2 Dot (formally 5 Dot), Arcanum (Death)
                Resonance: Ley Lines plus Dog, Beatle, Caterpillar, Kangaroo, Youth and Theft.
                Tass/Feotidia: Railway sleepers
                Several songlines were overwritten by the Seer's geomancy at this once powerful hallow. Abyssal energies now seep into the world, focused on the old police station.

Akngwelya Thirrewe (Dog Rock)

After defeating the intruder Akngwelya the local dog walked north towards ANZAC Hill but only got this far before turning into a boulder and half sinking into the earth. This rock still sits on the side of the Stuart Hwy next to a 24hr petrol station and a laundromat. Dog Rock became the first site in Alice to become unsuitable for ceremony due to its location in the center of the growing settlement. It's been over a century since it has been rubbed in fat and ochre.

Once included in the grounds of the railway station, remarkably it has survived while its surroundings have been developed, built on and rebuilt. A foot high single chain fence encloses it and a small faded sign notes its former significance. In the 1920s old men sung over the rock asking for dogs to drive the newcomers away, a request which appears to have been unanswered. Today it is forgotten by everyone except homeless drunks who sleep outside the chain.

Ley Line: Seer's line North-South (Control)
                Formally a 5 Dot hallow it's now dormant and chained.
                The rock is the center point of the great Seer ley line. The chain surrounding it is woven with powerful wards and enchantments which obscure and contain what is inside. Theories of powerful corrupted spirits, a gate to the Spire Perilous or even an ancient Bound have been suggested by mages but nothing has been confirmed.
                Last edited by Old Dog; 06-26-2021, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Hmm, an intersection between the Adamantine Arrow and Australia's war history intrigues me. Makes me think of the core's advice about using music for inspiration and The Band Played Waltzing Matilda.

Also an idea that when the cabal finds their Seers, one would have the Shadow Name of Churchill.
                  "I see my old comrades, how proudly they march, reliving the dreams of past glories"

Consider Churchill stolen!

Comment

I'm thinking that for a Seer of the Throne in that cultural context, it would be a Shadow Name conveying symbolism of leadership that is dubious, even callous, but gets to redeem itself through participation in one big thing with relatively good press, and being an authority over one's own history.

Also being a petty asshole. Can never discount the petty asshole quotient with the Seers.

Comment

I find myself thinking about the function of a council in a relatively small Consilium.

I'm not actually very familiar with specific examples of people's games in Second Edition, but I know that the norm in First was to present councils as consisting of leader figures of the constituent cabals, which made sense for when it was portrayed more like a governing body.

Now I'm thinking that when they're primarily concerned with arbitrating disputes and enforcing the lex, I think the more significant quality would be a perceived objectivity and good judgement.

I get the impression that your idea for the function of the council here is to essentially be a meeting place for cabal representatives where they can negotiate, but I wonder at going for something where the concern is putting forward members who can be expected to make rulings for the good of the Consilium rather than being a vote on behalf of their cabal. Kind of like each cabal's good faith pledge to adhere to the Lex Magica in the form of putting forward the member most likely to engage in honest discussion over how it applies even if it rules against a given cabal's interests.

Unless it's a matter of cabals that are more loosely knit and mages more typically act on an individual basis by which they can be judged.

Comment

I'm not actually very familiar with specific examples of people's games in Second Edition, but I know that the norm in First was to present councils as consisting of leader figures of the constituent cabals, which made sense for when it was portrayed more like a governing body.
                        I found them rather clunky for anything other than really big disputes. For everything else, I've found it much easier to use the Lictors from the SL book. Basically a professional judge/notary with relative independence, but not necessarily all that powerful.

It actually sounds to me rather like this consilium is more of an Assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I found them rather clunky for anything other than really big disputes. For everything else, I've found it much easier to use the Lictors from the SL book. Basically a professional judge/notary with relative independence, but not necessarily all that powerful.

It actually sounds to me rather like this consilium is more of an Assembly.
                          I was definitely leaning towards place to negotiate disputes but wanted a little of the symbolism that a Consilium brings so it feels more occult rather than an assembly. Each member having to be a different path etc.

Also a reason I went for 4 cabals was because if the players are interested in a political game their new cabal could complete the Consilium. The campaign could feature their cabal gaining acceptance by the others and a place at the table, as an A or B plotline. Which would involve sidelining the Adelaide Herald as the main conflict.

I guess it's time to start detailing the cabals a bit more.

Comment

Working...
                          X